protein

Options
I continue to consume more protein than allowed per day.
What are the consequences to this, if any?
M

Replies

• anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    i'm over by 18-25 every day and I've still lost 14 pounds. Focus on total calories and healthy chioces. Good luck!
  • melissatoldan
    melissatoldan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you & congrats on your success!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I continue to consume more protein than allowed per day.
    What are the consequences to this, if any?
    M

Don't worry about it, MFP tends to go a little too low with their protein allowance! I've pretty much been over anywhere from 5 to even 30 a day in the 14 months I've been here, and I STILL lost the weight that I wanted to! :happy:
  • StaciGirten
    StaciGirten Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are suppose to have between 10 and 35% of total calories for protein. Remember each gram of protein is 4 calories. If you want to know what gram not to go over for your weight. Take your weight in pounds then divide that by 2.2 and then multiply that by .8 and that will be your high number you shouldn't go over. I am in a wellness class and we just learned that. Good luck to you.
    Say you weigh 150
    150/2.2=68.18
    68.18*.8=55

55 would be the number you wouldn't want to go over. Hope this helps.
  • mhemmer
    mhemmer Posts: 3
    Options
    But what are the consequences to going over?
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    Protein is the only thing I go over on, also....
  • christahollis
    Options
    Minor excesses in protein generally won't cause any problem with your health. That said, too much protein (by a large margin) over a long period of time can cause kidney damage.
    If you're going over by absurd amounts, just to be on the safe side, it might be a good idea to start pulling more calories from good choices in carbs or healthy fats.
  • alepublicity
    alepublicity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too go over on protein! by a lot around 40 or 45 a day on the other hand I never reach the number of carbs I eat only about half. I am working out every day about 40 to 60 min a day. I am still loosing weight
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    you can go into the goals section and change the % of fat, carbs, and protein around to what you want it to be. :smile:
  • StaciGirten
    StaciGirten Posts: 30 Member
    Options

A little extra is not to harmful, but the extra protein basically turns to fat for storage or it is burned for energy requirements. Although, if you have a continous high intake of protein it can put a strain on your kidneys. Just don't eat a lot of stuff that is high in fat, because alot of your meats that are high in protein, red meat, is also high in fat. Watch your fats and you sould be ok
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

At about 1g per pound, the biggest risk for healthy adults is dehydration. Banks once mentioned that you would need well over 2g per pound and be sedentary to enter the realm of kidney damage.
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    i have the opposite problem, I cant get all my protein, and I always go over in carbs..
    What do you eat so you go over in protein, please tell me!!

I usually drink milk, eat eggs, chicken, lean meat, fish ocassionally, nuts.... A little peanut butter.. But still I dont reach my protein goal..

Just today I read something Tom Venuto wrote about protein.. He says that a good ratio for weight loss would be 40 -40-20 (Carbs-prot-fat) So you guys that go over i dont think you need to worry:wink:
  • rome2000
    rome2000 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi Melissa, first off you want to consider any health issues you may have, any kidney, diabetic issues, you would want to consult with your doctor. Aside from that, you want to look at your protein source, is it supplement, whole foods and then when are you consuming, around workouts, and also how much. These are the things to look af before you would worry about going over. and with the going over its really watching the calories. But if we were talking about fat intake, then i would watch the amount of fat intake before calories. If you can describe your protein plan, we can advise of how to address.
  • alepublicity
    alepublicity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Karlira,

I eat Tuna, Chicken and Turkey they are high on proteins and not on fats. I never eat beef or pork.
    I only eat chicken and turkey breast or extra lean ground turkey and white tuna on water.
    Soy beans and high on Protein as well as beans combined with brown rice.

Sometimes depending on my workouts I need a boost and I take Bio X Whey all natural one scoop has 130 cal and 32 grams of protein and 1 gram of fat!

Lately I have not been needing it because I get my protein from my meat but when I need it it made a world of difference.

Hope this helps
  • melissatoldan
    melissatoldan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    I ate boiled shrimp & not a huge portion either. I was shocked, it was crazy!
    Not doing that again.
    Have a great 4th
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you do any kind of strength training then the amount of protein MFP has you listed to meet is way too low. It is also really good to try to consume protein around 15-30 min after strenght training, that is when it really helps with your muscles. Boiled shrimp is a good source of protein. I usually drink a cup of skim milk with a scoop of whey protein added after a strength training session. I would watch the carbs a little closer and fat and not worry about going over on the protein.