Avocado

Options
I know avocado's are high in "good" fats. So the question is...if eating an entire avocado puts me over my fat intake for the day is that bad or acceptable?

Replies

• MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    personally, I think it's acceptable. It's not like you're going over your fat intake eating double fried french fries, right? :)

Avocados are one of my exception foods (like how bananas put you over on your sugars, etc....) The good outweighs the bad, in my opinion.
  • jarrodc
    jarrodc Posts: 102
    Options
    Faced with the same problem of having an amazing food (the avocado) and an evil calorie count (1750) my thinking is the following:

1. Stick to your calorie count no matter what. The reason being, if you start to get a little lenient, in a weeks time that leniency will turn to completely bending the rules... This is what I find anyway.

2. The healthier you eat, the more satiated you will feel, meaning you can eat less calories and not feel as hungry... Not to mention healthy calories are generally less dense, meaning you will be eating larger quantities of food AND compounding that you will feel more satiated from less calories... This compounding effect makes it easy to eat 500-1000 calories under your maintenance.

3. Although the above is all well and good, as soon as you eat fast digesting simple carbs (junk) it will have a flurry of bad effects, not limited to:
    - spiking blood sugar (making you hungrier)
    - spiking insulin (blunting fat loss, and storing food as fat)
    - post-spike tiredness (you could even feel a little depressed which may result in binging or cravings)

4. Avocados are amazing, so eat them, but maybe try eating half a avocado, which might be a more appropriate, yet nourishing serving size. Even perhaps consider combining it with something like cottage cheese which has a more filling effect which will aid in satiety.

Keep eating them though, they're an awesome food, and taste yum too :)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Faced with the same problem of having an amazing food (the avocado) and an evil calorie count (1750) my thinking is the following:

1. Stick to your calorie count no matter what. The reason being, if you start to get a little lenient, in a weeks time that leniency will turn to completely bending the rules... This is what I find anyway.

2. The healthier you eat, the more satiated you will feel, meaning you can eat less calories and not feel as hungry... Not to mention healthy calories are generally less dense, meaning you will be eating larger quantities of food AND compounding that you will feel more satiated from less calories... This compounding effect makes it easy to eat 500-1000 calories under your maintenance.

3. Although the above is all well and good, as soon as you eat fast digesting simple carbs (junk) it will have a flurry of bad effects, not limited to:
    - spiking blood sugar (making you hungrier)
    - spiking insulin (blunting fat loss, and storing food as fat)
    - post-spike tiredness (you could even feel a little depressed which may result in binging or cravings)

4. Avocados are amazing, so eat them, but maybe try eating half a avocado, which might be a more appropriate, yet nourishing serving size. Even perhaps consider combining it with something like cottage cheese which has a more filling effect which will aid in satiety.

Keep eating them though, they're an awesome food, and taste yum too :)

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    of all the macros MFP tracks, net calories will dictate the weight loss more than anything else. (Twinkie diet has proven this)

So if your greatest concern is weight loss, pay the most attention to your calories. This has been my practice, for the whole time I've been here.

I track other macros, but the only ones I'm actively trying to keep out of the "red" are calories and sodium. This keeps my weight loss goals on track, and helps reduce sodium bloat.
  • 5kfunrun
    5kfunrun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, I look at it this way:

When I watch shows like Biggest Loser or Heavy, I've never heard of someone saying "I ate my way to 600lbs with avocados"

I say, go get yourself some tomatoes, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper and lime juice and make yourself some amazing guacamole!