30 Day Shred Help Please? :)

Options
Hi guys! Okay so I've just done day 1 of the 30DS and man it killed me, but I'm feeling good about it!

I have a few questions about it really!

What kinds of equipment do I need through out the three stages? I know I need weights, what weight, if that makes sense? A mat, anything else?

Also, once you have completed the 30DS, do you continue with it? What exercises do you do to maintain the results of the shred?

Thank you! Any help and advise for this would be great, as I'm pretty scared!

Oh! Also, how many calories does the 30DS burn?

Oh, and I'm Hollie, 5'2 and 228lbs right now. Thank you!

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Hi Hollie :)

What you need in the first level is all you'll need throughout. I strongly suggest previewing each level before leveling up just to get a better idea of form and how you should be moving, especially if this is the first workout DVD you've done.

I've been doing the 30DS since the 1st of Feb, and I'm planning on continuing with Ripped in 30 or any other number of Jillian Michaels DVDs I have (including her Biggest Winner series). Right now my knees are begging for a break from all the lunges and squats, so I'm amping up my cardio and scaling back on the 30DS.

Everyone's results will be different depending on body fat % and over all fitness level at the start. I'm seeing a difference, but no where near what some of the other ladies on here have seen.

As for calories, Im 5'8 and 196, my HRM calls it about 260-270 depending on how hard I pushed. I honestly suggest investing in a Heart Rate Monitor with a chest strap if you plan on working out at home to a dvd, the totals on MFP can be a bit wonky.

Best of luck to you and don't give up, it's a kick @$$ workout!

Meg:flowerforyou:
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hi Hollie,
    I"m on day 10 of level1 and are really enjoying the workouts. They are hard, but I can already see results. I'm using 3lb weights right now (in the video they use 5lbs) I would recommend starting out with 3lbs, and you can work your way up to 5lbs. Personally I'm going to use the 3lb weight for all 3 levels. I also do other cardio work outs (running, walking etc.)
    Like Meg mentioned, you might want to invest in a heart rate monitor to see how many calories you burn during the workout. I know some people log it into MFP as 'circuit training'.
    Keep at it and I'm sure you'll see results in no time! Good luck!!:smile:
  • aallison0507
    Options
    Thank you for the post. Today was my first day as well and I thought I might die by the time it was over !! Was not sure where or how to enter calories burned so I left myself a note that I did it. I was looking earlier to see where I could do a search for the info but did not find were I could look through for the info as I am sure there have been many talks about it.

Best wishes for you during the next 29 days, hope we survive it :blushing:

Andrea

13842054.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS non stop in January and started with 3lb weights and stepped up to 5, 7, and finally 10lb weights by the end. I used a blanket for a mat since I was working out on hard carpet that had no cushion.

I am now doing a ripped in 30/c25k hybrid. I started that beginning of february and am starting w4d1 of c25k tomorrow and will finish my last day of week 2 of RI30 on Tuesday the 28th (each week in RI30 is spread over 2 weeks since I alternate between programs).

I am 5' 6.5" and went from 210 to 199.2 on 30DS
    My current weight (Sunday) is 195.4 and I am looking at another 10 Lb month as I plateaued the first week and a half february but upped my calories and modified my macros and my weight loss is picking up steam.
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    bump
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Hi Hollie! :flowerforyou:
    I just started the Ripped in 30 today! I feel your pain sista! :-) I just grabbed my 1 pounders because they were right there. I am hoping to up it by the end of the week!
    Add me if you'd like, we can keep tabs on our progress! Cheer each other on!
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!! I started it today as well to help give me a little boost to fit into a dress for a wedding:) I started working out reg in Oct. and am now almost the same weight and height as you are. From what I have gathered, those who start out weighing more, tend to see more tangible results....we'll see I guess!! I added this to everything else I did and dropped my calories a smidge to help progress.

Good luck to you and hope we can share our results in 30 days!!
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I just completed day 7 of lvl 1 of the 30ds, I have been using 5lb weights since day 2, day 1 I didn't use weights since I hadn't exercised in quite a while and its a good thing I didn't because I could barely walk after my legs felt like jello. Today I broke a sweat but I have my breathing under control and honestly am really enjoying this work out. I watched lvl 2 last night and am a little afraid but I'm up for the challenge. I just ordered ripped in 30, 6week 6 pack, and something buns and thighs, not sure which one I will do but I know I need to work to get the results I am going for.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I bumped up to level 2 the second week. I am using 8 lbs weights.