Hurt myself and need some advice

Options
Today while doing reverse crunches on a bench, I got a sharp pain in my lower ab on the right side. Lower than my belly button just beside my hip bone. What could this be? I took a rest day on Saturday and was really feeling frustrated a nd lacked motivation today. After that, it hurt with almost everything I did. I worked arms and back today. I stretched out as well as I could after my workout. Can I still do cardio and train other areas and just not do core exercises? I only have 2 weeks and 4 days before I go to the beach so I really don't want to rest.

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It could be a hernia. I would go to a doctor if I were you. If that is what it is, you don't want to mess around with it.
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump for more suggestions
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Bump for more suggestions

only suggestion that counts is to see a doctor if you are worried about an injury. You'll find 1000 possible injuries on the Internet and they'll all be wrong.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Possibly a stretched tendon, but don't mess around if it stays too painful or gets worse...See a Doc. Better safe than laid up indefinitely!
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would go into the doc and have it checked. Could be something as simple as a pulled muscle that just needs a bit of rest, but I always error on the side of caution with workout injuries.
  • fmeryan
    Options
    I'm a physiotherapist and would definitely agree with the above advice. See your doctor. Could just be muscular pain, in which case you'd expect it to resolve in at least 3 weeks, but best to err on the side of caution when it's abdominal pain. Get it checked.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    To put your mind at ease... You'd know if it was a hernia.... Excruciating pain, possible protrusions/funny bumps etc.

But if you're still concerned go see your doc. If the pain is still there after a few days and /or gets worse in that time, then DEFINITELY go see a doc.

I agree sounds like a slightly pulled tendon or inflammation of it or a muscle. In the mean time, take it steady, take some painkillers and anti-inflammatories and don't do anything to aggravate it like lifting, crunches, running etc.
  • Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    "It might be a tumor."

Sorry, Kindergarten Cop was on TV last night and I watched a few minutes of it.
  • zafferFL
    Options
    To put your mind at ease... You'd know if it was a hernia.... Excruciating pain, possible protrusions/funny bumps etc.

But if you're still concerned go see your doc. If the pain is still there after a few days and /or gets worse in that time, then DEFINITELY go see a doc.

I agree sounds like a slightly pulled tendon or inflammation of it or a muscle. In the mean time, take it steady, take some painkillers and anti-inflammatories and don't do anything to aggravate it like lifting, crunches, running etc.

have you had a hernia? I've had 4. 0 pain with any of them. Prognosis is not that simple.
  • h0t_m0m
    Options
    The pain is much much much better today. Just a little tender when I push in that area. I went to a Zumba class and didn't have any issues. Thanks for the concern but I think it was just a stretched muscle or tendon. Also, I read about hernias and my 2 sons have had inguinal hernias, and I had no bulging whatsoever even when sneezing or coughing.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    "It might be a tumor."

IT'S NOT A TUMOR!!!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    It sounds like an inguinal hernia. Does anything poke out when you flex your abs. Go to a doctor.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My rule for myself is... after 3 days of rest, if it isn't significantly better, I call the doctor. If it is getting worse at any time, then call the doctor immediately. I don't remember were I came up with this 3 day rule, but it seems to works for me. Also my standard treatment for muscle pain / strain is RICE (Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate). This would be a little difficult with an abdominal strain.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you continue to improve each day, you probably just pulled something and will heal with rest. If you don't improve, you should to go the doc. As for exercising, stick with the ones that don't cause you pain. I've had quite a few injuries in the past and my docs have told me that I can do any exercise that doesn't cause the injured part pain. You just have to try different exercises to see what feels okay. Good luck!
  • zafferFL
    Options
    It sounds like an inguinal hernia. Does anything poke out when you flex your abs. Go to a doctor.

Inguinal hernia presents low in the groin , plus OP is female, unlikely.
  • h0t_m0m
    Options

Inguinal hernia presents low in the groin , plus OP is female, unlikely.

Not inguinal hernia. Both of my boys had them and had surgery to repair. The area of pain is higher like to the inside of the top of my hip bone (if that makes sense). Nothing protrudes when I flex. My trainer skipped core exercises today and we even had to change a tricep move because it was irritating it. I am pretty sure I just pulled something but if it is still bothering me after Thursday, I will go to a doctor.