Spinning shoes

Options
Hello everyone! I absolutely LOVE to spin, and now that I am at a fitness level that I can do 3-4 classes a week, I want to go all out. Normally I buy off the clearance rack, but I am considering spending $89 on these shoes: http://www.zappos.com/shimano-sh-wf23-white-pink

I have a hard time with shoes, I protrude very badly on the outsides of my feet and I have very bad ankles. I can't run, jog or do anything that puts a lot of pressure on my ankles. Sometimes it is difficult for me to spin in the third position.

My question is - does anyone out there use spinning shoes and do you think it will be worth the money for me??

Thanks all!

Replies

• SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have cycling shoes for my clip in pedals of my road bike that unfortunately are not compatible with most spin bikes. However, I'm thinking of getting another pair that is because I think it's that much more helpful to have the shoes for spin class. It's definitely a good investment and will help keep your feet in position during the class. All my triathlon friends that have the shoes in class love them. Shimano is a great brand and all of their cycling products, including the shoes, pedals and other bike parts that I have from them have been top notch and long lasting.

Hope that helps. Happy spinning!
  • amanda776
    Options
    Thanks so much! I assume these clips should work with any spin bike. :)
  • MomBod81
    MomBod81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes! They are totally worth it! I didn't get them until I had been going to spin for a long time, but once I did, I wondered what took me so long. They make a huge difference and I can't imagine going back to not wearing them.
  • lmbonder
    Options
    They are definitely worth it!! One of my spin instructors told me to buy the shoes locally, as that way the people in the store can take a look at your gait and adjust the clips on the shoes for your body (they install the onto the shoes while you wait). I think it makes a difference, as you want to make sure you're properly positioned on the bike.
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I just looked at the shoes you want to buy and it says "cleats not included." This means you'll just have to buy the cleat part and screw it in (I think it's usually like $10-15 extra). You could buy that online or if you don't want to do it yourself once you get the shoes just go to a local bike store and purchase the cleats there and they'll probably put them in for you right then.

Not all spin bikes have the same clip ins, so make sure you ask the instructor at your gym before purchasing! For instance this is what I have on my shoes, which does NOT work at my YMCA: http://www.rei.com/product/700073/shimano-sh-11-spd-sl-cleat

At my Y, this particular type would work, but couldn't tell you if that's true for your gym too!

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SM-SH51-Cleats-Swing-121470/dp/B0007LEWAQ
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If this is your first pair of spin shoes, I highly recommend going to a cycling shop for a fitting. What zappos has listed really doesn't look like a great cycling shoe. For spin (or outdoor cycling) you want something with an extremely inflexible sole. The entire bottom of my shoe is hard plastic.

Second of all, these shoes do NOT come with cleats that allow you clip onto the pedals. My gym uses SPD pedals, but check to be sure before you buy your cleats (they are sold separately).

I bought my spin shoes and cleats at a cycling shop. I paid 90 for the shoes and 15 for the cleats. They positioned the cleats for me so that the shoes were comfortable to use.

This is what I use:
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=64245
    notice the sole: Stiff, injection-molded and glass-reinforced sole with generous vent ports at the front and rear: 5.0 stiffness index
  • amanda776
    Options
    Thanks SO much for the info - I would have never known about the clips until I showed up in class and embarrassed myself! :)