binging - HELP!

Options
hey, I seem to binge alot. And workout alot. I'd have a very healthy breakfast and lunch, but after lunch I have this really strong urge to binge. Usualy on sweets/cereal. Anyone else in the same vicious cycle? I welcome any tips that helped you stop binging. I don;t think i have any disorder. But it happens quite often. And i do have a bad image of myself, so does everyone else out there. If anyone can relate to my problem and would like support, Add me! :)

Replies

• jenna_laurelle
    jenna_laurelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Im a total binger, in the evenings.
    I eat incredibly heathy food for meals but after i get home from work its all down hill. I cant stand it when im all excited for a delicious healthy dinner but i munch while i cook and im not even hungry to eat it.
    I usually try to head straight to the gym after work to avoid it but still after dinner is a problem.

tips??
    i drink tea to try and keep me busy, or write in a journal...thats how i dropped weight earlier last year, i am thinking about starting a journal again, it feels like when you write something down you actually process your thoughts a little better.

any tips to help me? I just moved to a new city and ive gained like 13 pounds since (its only been 6 months!) and i cannot physically workout any harder than i am now:( )
  • maddiecab
    maddiecab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. The minute my daughter gets home from school the bingeing begins.....her ADD and homework load stress us both out. It does help to have a hot cup of tea, but lately I' d really really just like to wolf down a whole bag of Doritos.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I read on here once that craving sweets can mean you need more protein. I now make sure to eat a good amount of protein after working out. It really seems to have helped me. Also instead of reaching for the snack, try drinking some water.
    I have problem of snacking a lot while feeding the kids dinner.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    And i do have a bad image of myself, so does everyone else out there.
    Um what? If I have a bad image of myself then my real body must be fabulous!

If you are truly binging then you have a disorder. If you are using this as a dramatic way to say that you eat a lot of snacks, then that's a totally different thing. But since you add in the fact that you have a bad image of yourself - and apparently think that is normal and acceptable - I think you need to take a serious look at things.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Up your protein intake and try to cut sugars and starches as much as possible. From what you're saying, it seems as though you're having an insulin spike after lunch, which is what triggers the cravings.

In my own experience, having more protein and less refined carbs can fix the problem almost completely.
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    certain foods and drinks with aspartmine will make you binge eat and it usually takes 24-48 hours to get out of your system. (just a experiment I tried) Try Yerba Matte tea with Stevita. It takes awhile to get use to but the Yerba matte curbs appettie and the Stevita is all natural substitute
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    keep trigger foods out of the house, or at least out of sight/reach. Where you would normally store said foods, replace it with a healthy snack item. When you impulsively go for said food, you have to eat the healthy snack item.

The other part is to understand binging. Its a type of emotional eating. Just as with any other emotional outburst, when experiencing them, start to justify whatever you're doing or going to do. You have to retrain the brain to think healthy, it just doesn't click. This works by interrupting the emotion (or binge thought) and shifting to a better thought. e.g. I want to eat a handful of M&Ms changes to I want to eat a handful of baby carrots. It won't be easy because the emotions involved with taste and smell are strong, but its very possible.
  • CUT3ANDS3XIAN0R3X1
    Options
    I binge too..on cereal and sweets just like you do! :[ I don't do it all the time. Some days, especially around the dreaded time of the month, i'll get back from class and just literally eat...so much. Like I said, I don't really do it all the time, just I get episodes of it. You may just be an emotional eater.
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am a binger too, although I don't eat aspertame or any fake stuff. Tips appreciated!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Make sure are getting fiber, protein and fat in every meal/snack. The protein and fat will help you feel full. For me, binges happen when I'm overly hungry. So, I eat every 3-4 hours to avoid getting to that point. I have a 350 cal breakfast, 200 cal morning snack, 350 cal lunch, 150 cal afternoon snack and a 450 cal dinner. That is the *plan* anyway. Some meals fluctuate a bit but not to much.
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    when I'm at work usually i dont feel very hungry i do my meal very very healthy and under my calorie limit, at home is when I feel hungry constantly, what I do is to drink a cup of black "JOE" (coffee), that keeps my appetite off untill its time for my next meal or snack
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with the afternoon cravings to eat unhealthy foods. For me I most often crave cheese in the afternoon and sometimes sweets. I go through the same thing in the evening too. This coming Monday I am going to begin a spiritual fast and not eat anything between lunch and dinner or after dinner. I don't know what your religious beliefs are but many people fast during the Easter season. It won't be easy, but the hunger and cravings will remind me to pray and I wanted to fast something that would be a real challenge for me.
    You also said you struggle with self esteem and I am so sorry to hear that. I have been there before and know it is a very hard place to be. Maybe you should take the time in the afternoon when you would normally binge and do something special to take care of yourself. Maybe a nice bath, or a manicure. We are all more than just our weight or pants size. You should reflect and find things you like about yourself. Maybe a personality trait or talent you have. Write those things down and keep them some place where you can look at them during hard times. If you have a hard time doing that ask family and friends what they think makes you special, you will probably hear them say wonderful things you had never even thought of. I don't know you personally but I will start with one. I admire your honesty, to be able to ask for help with something you struggle with is very brave, and many people would not feel comfotable enough to step out and admit a weakness:heart:
  • bbrahma
    Options
    Eat more fibrous foods too. Keeps you fuller longer.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a binger too. Mostly a "closet" binger . . like in my bedroom, late at night, etc. I've learned I just need to keep whatever I'm craving out of sight/reach and try to identify the real emotion that is disguising itself as hunger. Like sometimes I eat out of boredom, tiredness, stress, etc. etc.

So, if I'm tired . . the solution is to lay down and sleep. If I'm bored, the best thing I can do is exercise or clean house, basically keep myself busy with anything other than eating. And then there's the stress eating . . that's the WORST. Exercise is my best remedy but when that's not available, I (sometimes) can satisfy myself with a healthy snack instead, like baby carrots or a handful of almonds. Almonds are a great snack, full of protein and the GOOD kind of fat. :smile:

It's all about making choices and retraining our brains to think differently about food. I know, it's really hard. That's why we have the support here on MFP. Even just typing this makes me feel better tonight.
  • loftus2005
    Options
    Im in the same boat :( I don't know what to do? I am trying to up my protien but I don't really want to live off of chicken breasts ya know!? Anyone have any good tips or suggestions on protien powders/ bars?
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat :( I don't know what to do? I am trying to up my protien but I don't really want to live off of chicken breasts ya know!? Anyone have any good tips or suggestions on protien powders/ bars?

Almonds, hard boiled eggs, milk, yogurt, peanut butter, I personally like the Special K protein shakes (strawberry especially).
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options

Stay clear of the protein bars--many contain maltitol as a sweetener. That's a sugar alcohol, and too close to sugar for comfort.

Whey protein powder is great on the other hand. Comes in various flavors, and it's very filling. I like to have it with low fat probiotic yoghurt, but you can also make smoothies or even pancakes with it.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I tend to want high fat/highcalorie food when it's been too long since my last meal, and late at night. So first, I try to space out my intake so I don't have a tummy waiting around for 6-8 to eat.
    I try to eat crunchy veggies-really it's hard to go over you calorie limit on veggies. I've curbed many a potato chip attack by eating carrots, celery, and cucumber chips instead.
    I also have a chocolate thing, too. I try to get 1/4 to 1 full serving of high quality dark chocolate whenever I feel the need. The darker, the better. I usually buy 85%. The rest of my diet is usually very well balanced enough to allow for it.
    If I still have a sweet tooth, sometimes I have a hot cocoa before bed. It's still 90 cals, but it's better than driving to the store in the middle of the night for Oreos....not that I've ever done that.
    Also, I read recently that chocolate milk is a great post-workout recovery drink. I had one today and it was awesome! Supposedly the carb/protein balance is optimum for muscle recovery. Who am I to argue with the scientists?
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :) this actually helped me today, instead of thinking about food i cooked and did some studying. and also walked my dog. I hope tomoro goes well too. best luck for all of you, i think the key is to slow down with the sweets and up the healthy stuff. and one of you said to keep things out of reach, i'm going to try that, even though in my house it's always a temptation test because my skinny mom and sister love their cakes and cookies :( love you all and good luck on your journey!
  • MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eat more fibrous foods too. Keeps you fuller longer.

well I do understand your point but binging for me is out of my controll, no matter how full i am. But thank you for your advice :)