How many calories should I eat a day

Options
I am just wondering how many calories some of you intake for a day. My goal is 1,200 a day(If I was to estimate I would say I use to eat at least 3000 a day) I have a friend that says I should only eat 900 and the girls at work are saying I don't eat enough, so what any advice?

Replies

• skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    You seem to be in the same boat as I.. Trying to lose about 100lbs. I have mine set to 1400 calories a day, and I try to net around there. Meaning, I eat my exercise calories back because a car can not run without gas and your body can not run without fuel.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1200, I assume that this means you are set to lose 2 pounds a week. You are honestly better off shooting for 1 pound per week so you get a few more calories. 1200 is hard to stick to. Don't listen to anyone who says you should only eat 900. That is not a sustainable plan for steady weight loss. It will set you up to binge.
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Whoa on the 900! Don't listen to them unless you have very specific reasons to do so and are under a doctor's care!

1200 is the minimum to intake, so if you exercise, you would eat more than that.

I eat about 1600 a day without exercise and about 1900 a day if I exercise (or more depending on how many cals I burn).
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1200 is the absolute minimum! NEVER eat less than that! It will send you into starvation mode and your body will begin to think it needs to store fat because it isn't getting enough food. I eat about 1500 to 1700 calories. I also cut out soda-pop. With this I have lost almost 13 pounds in a month.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I started at 1500 a day but wasn't really feeling like i was losing, so I lowered it to 1280. I try very hard to get as close to that without going over, and eat all of my exercise calories back. You may need to try different things for a week or so to see what works for you.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    It is hard to answer this without knowing your stats or being able to see your diary, but you should never eat less than 1,200 calories. If you don't eat enough calories to fuel your body it will horde all of the calories you do eat and you won't lose weight.

It looks like you want to lose 100 pounds, so going from 3,000 calories to 1,200 seems too much of a leap. What did you enter in the goals? How much weight a week did you say you wanted to lose? How much exercise are you committing to do?
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    There is not one right or wrong number for everyone, I would listen to your body. I would definately eat more than 900 though. Drink alot of water. Many times when you think you are hungry you will be thirsty. 1200 calories a day will probably be difficult at first, but as long as you are eating the proper amount of your macros and spacing your meals out properly each day, you should be able to do it. What you put into your body is more important than the actual calorie count. You will feel more full throughout the day if you are eating leaner proteins and fiber than if you are eating chips and candy.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 usually but I started off higheer like 1500 until I got used to eating less and became more aware of the nutritional values of food....then I moved to 1200 and I find I don't have a problem sticking to it if I plan my meals ahead of time.....
  • HappilyMarried2711
    Options
    I have 88 pounds to lose. MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1360 a day (net) and thats set up to lose 2 pounds a week. I for the most part eat around 1200 and i find that i feel satisfied throughout the day. And most of the time i do not eat my exercise calories back becuz i don't know how accurate MFP is at tellin me how many i actually burned.
    Anyway, i eat about 1200 a day exercise for 30-60 mins a day and have lost 8 lbs in 12 days and i feel great! Good Luck! :)
  • PNOIZE
    PNOIZE Posts: 44
    Options
    being a diabetic 5'7 and weighing 260 (last month) was advised by my doctor to go with 1800. If you could talk to a doctor, I would advise for you to. In my opinion, 900 is low.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Punch all your info into MFP as accurately as possible, and eat as many calories as it tells you to. No need to second guess anything when you're first starting out.
  • kema2000
    kema2000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best person to ask would be your doctor or nutritionist. They could help you find and build realistic goals. Goals that will help you stay on track. Each of us is different and we all have different needs. Remember this is a guide to help you stay on track, and MFP is a wonderful tool. I have lost 23 pounds so far and loving it.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go below 1200 personally. Going from 3000 to 1200 might be a shock! Maybe try 1500 just for a short time, until you get used to it, then lower if you think that'd be the best for you. Good luck!!!! :happy: