Love chips - found a great alternative!

Options
A friend of ours came into town and bought some of these. I'm hooked! To me, they taste like crunchy, non-greasy, Lay's potato chips. For 1/2 serving, which is perfect for a sandwich (still 15 crisps) it's only 55 calories!

They are the Kellogg's Special K Cracker Crisps with Sea Salt...little pricy, but I got 2 huge bags in a box for $6, which I guess for some, is the average price of 2 bags of chips.

Replies

• honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ok, now add a little garlic hummus and *that* is a delicious little snack. Thanks for sharing this!!
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have never had hummus, but plan to try soon. I was think ranch veggie dip or french onion dip. Do you make or buy your hummus?
  • honeydoozy
    Options
    Yes! I have never had hummus, but plan to try soon. I was think ranch veggie dip or french onion dip. Do you make or buy your hummus?

I am a little intimidated by the "make" prospect, so I will buy it at the store. :laugh:
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    A friend of ours came into town and bought some of these. I'm hooked! To me, they taste like crunchy, non-greasy, Lay's potato chips. For 1/2 serving, which is perfect for a sandwich (still 15 crisps) it's only 55 calories!

They are the Kellogg's Special K Cracker Crisps with Sea Salt...little pricy, but I got 2 huge bags in a box for $6, which I guess for some, is the average price of 2 bags of chips.

I found these a few weeks ago - they rock pretty good - I must admin!
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I too just discovered these recently. I've only tried the cheddar and sour cream/ onion but I loved them both. They taste like a mix between chips and rice cakes.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I mix Hidden Valley ranch dip packet with low fat greek yogurt. 13 cal per TBS. It would go perfectly with those!!
  • JesssHerzner
    Options
    I recently tried them, they are delicious! I think they taste a little more like Muchos! :)
  • Mars70
    Options
    I saw those at the store the other day and looked at them but, kinda got a little scared they might ... suck. Maybe I'll head back tomorrow and try some. Good to see a couple positive reviews on them. Thanks!
  • tillyborn68
    tillyborn68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I personally like the southwest ranch flavor myself; they are a great alternative :happy:
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    They are AMAZING. With normal dip or hummus. And you should really try hummus, you will most likely be hooked! It's delish. The southwestern flavor of these crisps are my favorite, but the sour cream and oninon is great too. I like that the serving size is so BIG!
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    Try these homemade chips too, you can microwave them!

http://www.emilybites.com/2010/12/quick-crunchy-potato-chips.html

Time consuming but so worth it!

Homemade hummus is ridiculously easy if you have a blender or a wizz stick. Can of chickpeas, garlic, lemon, olive oil, philly cream cheese if you want? Yum!
  • cmacohio1975
    cmacohio1975 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I made roasted Kale chips tonight... they turned out very good, but I used to much salt. Had good texture and crisp to them though., found the recipe on food network.
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have seen them but haven't tried them yet. Hummus is actually really simple to make so don't be intimidated. Also great idea for the ranch mixed with yogurt. Will have to try that.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farm Baked Naturals are also a great alternative; They have wheat and potato kinds with different flavors of each, and they are all delicious and lower calorie than regular chips (about 130 calories for 25 crisps).
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Here is a simple and yummy hummus recipe.

Ranch Hummus

1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
    1 cup fat free cottage cheese
    1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    1 (1 OZ) packet dry ranch seasoning mix
    1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon chopped garlic

Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender. Puree until mixture is smooth and slightly fluffy, scraping sides. Best after its been refrigerated for several hours.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    you should try pop chips.. 100 cal bags
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love these have a box of the sour cream & onion -- yum -- I like veggie straws too, they remind me of munchos :)
  • honeydoozy
    Options
    I made roasted Kale chips tonight... they turned out very good, but I used to much salt. Had good texture and crisp to them though., found the recipe on food network.

Ohh, I watched these being made (sort of) on TV just yesterday. I am confused by the concept a little bit, though. You just broil them? Is the finished product really crunchy like chips, or more like...well, bendy warm crispy on the edges?
  • creativefrugalmom
    Options
    Great idea! I bet it would be awesome. On my shopping list...
  • creativefrugalmom
    Options
    I agree! There are a lot of "chips" in the bag and not all air. I fell like I get my money's worth.