HRM Problem - Chest Strap loses Connection

Options
Anyone have suggestions for how to prevent my HRM chest strap from losing the reading. Doing an Insanity workout, I noticed that my heart rate wasn't reading everytime I looked at it after I was down in a plank.

I have tried to tighten it, position it up and down on my chest, nothing seems to give a good reading.

I am also having an issue with the calories burned, even with my chest strap reading it is giving what seems to be a very low rating for the work I am doing...I see others burning hundreds of calories doing the same workouts. My HRM gave a reading of 200 burned for P90X2 Plyo yesterday...I think I could burn 200 calories just watching it!

I am using a Pro-form TX300.

Replies

• leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This may sound simple, but have you checked out the battery in the chest strap?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Mine did a similar thing - worked fine one day, went goofy on me the next. Wouldn't read, gave odd readings, heart rate at 200 during a warm up...changed the chest strap battery and it was fine. :)
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mine did a similar thing - worked fine one day, went goofy on me the next. Wouldn't read, gave odd readings, heart rate at 200 during a warm up...changed the chest strap battery and it was fine. :)

I don't know if this will apply to other HRMs, but a Garmin representative instructed me that you shouldn't take the old battery out and immediately put the new one in. The strap needs to sit a few minutes after taking the old battery out in order to get rid of any residual power that may have built up in the strap.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought of changing the batteries in it. I know mine has to be pre-moistened before you put it on or that happens. But I would think that during the workout, moisture isn't a problem. Mine does that too btw, so I too am going to change it's little battery and hope it fixes the problem!
  • 1CALIJIBARO2
    Options
    I wet the back of the device to make sure it is grounded.....I had similar issues w/ mine after many failed attempts it was advised that I wet the back and BINGO PRESTO it has not failed me yet.........good luck
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F4 and the chest strap is to be pre-moistened.
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    sounds like you need some ekg gel. I just use the clear aloe vera gel on the transmitters. I had the same problem and since I've been using the aloe vera gel it works. I've read that you shouldn't use KY jelly or any of those lubricants because of the chemicals.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT7 has been acting strange as well. I will get 220 for heart rate as soon as I put it on. Then 00 or will switch to time of day. One thing I've started to do is soak the entire strap in warm water for a few minutes before putting it on (without the transmitter of course) and that seems to have lessened the problem but it still happens every couple days or so.

Just a thought but it could be solar flare activity.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I wet the back of the device to make sure it is grounded.....I had similar issues w/ mine after many failed attempts it was advised that I wet the back and BINGO PRESTO it has not failed me yet.........good luck

Do you mean the back of the transmitter? If so that would make sense why mine works after soaking the whole strap for a few minutes before attaching the transmitter.
  • Mmissy104
    Options
    I would make sure the chest strap is wet when you but it on. Mine has to have alot of water on the strap for it to read. I tried putting it on dry once and it wouldnt read at all.

Also check the batteries, you can get a bad reading if the batteries in either the chest strap, or the watch are going out.

Lastly, as far as the calorie count goes, make sure all your stats are correct in the watch (weight, age, height, sex) also make sure your MAX HEART RATE is set correctly. If it is too high or too low for what your maz is if can give you false readings.

Hope that helps =)
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Getting the first reading isn't the problem, it is after I am dripping in sweat and down in a plank or push up is loses connection and take a while to come back. I will try the battery, maybe the signal isn't strong enough.

Thanks again!
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I noticed mine does this too, but only when the sensor is not wet enough. I have this issue when I'm lifting weights but then once i start to sweat while doing cardio it works again.
  • McKristy
    Options
    I have a problem getting a reading during side planks only. I've just started ignoring it and it comes back when I'm done with that exercise.
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I noticed with my Polar that if the connector that clips on is upside down it does the same thing. I wear it often when not exercising and it works perfectly without being wet.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I have problems as well. I think sometimes it's the type of sports bra I have on that might be bumping it during when I'm doing HIIT.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and it does the same thing -- is fine one minute, then boom, "Check Transmitter" comes on the watch. I do know that the further the watch is from the transmitter, it won't pick up the signal. Sometimes I attach it directly to my sports bra and just forget about it.

Yes, if you have electrodes on your chest strap, you have to make sure they are moistened. It won't work dry.
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    I have had my Polar Ft4 for over 14 months now and Mine has been doing crazy things.. I am running super fast and I look down and my heartrate went from 155 to 75 then back to 150 then 45, and then all of a sudden 00 OR check transmitter.. I just got off the phone with Customer service and he said its time for a new chest strap, They are only 17.95 on Polar.. He said when the watch battery is low I will get notification on the watch, and when the transmitter is dead I will get no heartrate reading at all, So I am ordering a new strap, After all I do use it 7 days a week sometimes 2-3 hours a day on certain days And its getting pretty ratty.. Don't know how long you have had yours.. But it could be a strap problem : )
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have had my Polar Ft4 for over 14 months now and Mine has been doing crazy things.. I am running super fast and I look down and my heartrate went from 155 to 75 then back to 150 then 45, and then all of a sudden 00 OR check transmitter.. I just got off the phone with Customer service and he said its time for a new chest strap, They are only 17.95 on Polar.. He said when the watch battery is low I will get notification on the watch, and when the transmitter is dead I will get no heartrate reading at all, So I am ordering a new strap, After all I do use it 7 days a week sometimes 2-3 hours a day on certain days And its getting pretty ratty.. Don't know how long you have had yours.. But it could be a strap problem : )

Jaime -- I've had mine since August and it always jumps from the right HR to 00 or over 200. I bought a new chest strap AND a new battery in the transmitter and nothing. Keeps doing it. I ordered HRM gel but that was a fiasco - never ordering from that company off of Amazon again! Blah.. it's just a ploy to keep stealing our money. Also, they sell straps on amazon for $14.