Steak Help

Options

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I only buy ribeyes and grill em on high heat just to medium.......heaven! Hate fried steak.
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    let your steak get to room temp. then get a tenderizing thing mine pokes holes- sprinkle on meat tenderizer and salt and pepper then stap the hell out of it. put it back in formation. next is the grill- if youre using charcoal you have to let the coals get hot and die down. usually get the grill going if its coals at least 30 minutes to an hour before you cook. next its you cant rush meat. meat like prime rib london broil you have to take your time cooking hench letting the coals get right. after you cook your meat let it sit for a few minutes before you eat it...
    beef and pork you cannot hurry- rushing the meat takes flavor out of it. it takes time and skill to learn how to properly cook it.
    if youre using the stove top- use a well seasoned pan first of all. lightly lightly oil the pan with olive oil- i put some on a napkin and wipe it down.. make sure you get the pan hot but not scolding let it warm up with a consistant heat. dont turn it on high then shift to medium and throw the meat on.
    if you got a good cast iron skillet- lightly coat again with olive oil.. put it on a higher heat. while the pans heatin put on the broiler- when the pans hot on the stove put the meat on --- let it cook on high for at least 30- 45 secs tops. flip meat and cook it again flip the meat and finish it under broil by turning it every 2-3 minutes til its the color you want
    again the last method is to hurry meat but it still cooks it good but really cooking a steak isnt a hurry process...
    last by a theometer- and keep tabs on the temp of the meat to help you perfect timing
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle sea salt (coarse) or coarse kosher salt on both sides, lots of it. Let it sit at room temp about 15 minutes. Rinse all of the salt off and oat dry. Makes it so tender!
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    OMG what are you doing to your steaks?? Marinate?? Do you guys get fillet in the US? Salt and pepper then a minute each side in a pan - i use a teaspoon of olive oil but still tastes good with no oil
    X100000
    Take it out of the fridge and get it room temp.
    Rub a bit of Olive Oil - Salt & Pepper
    Nothing else.

For a 1" thick tbone - Grill on 1 slide 3 mins - twist it 90" 2 mins - flip - Grill 3 mins - should be a nice rare/medium rare.
    For a thicker filet - adjust a hair on the time.

Go by touch -
    Touch your chin. This is the feel of medium rare.
    (if the meat feels like that - its medium rare)

Touch the end of your nose. This will be medium
    Bridge of your nose on your forehead is medium-well.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OMG what are you doing to your steaks?? Marinate?? Do you guys get fillet in the US? Salt and pepper then a minute each side in a pan - i use a teaspoon of olive oil but still tastes good with no oil
    X100000
    Nothing else.

For a 1" thick tbone - Grill on 1 slide 3 mins - twist it 90" 2 mins - flip - Grill 3 mins - should be a nice rare/medium rare.

Go by touch -

wow! Reading about the very fast cooking time you guys talk about, I wonder if I'm too paranoid about E-Coli. I cook my steak about 15 min. :huh:
    You're not worried about undercooked meat?
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I marinate in Worcestershire sauce for a couple hours, letting the steak sit out on the counter becoming room temp, then sprinkle on some Montreal Steak seasoning and flop it on the gas grill for about 2-3 mins a side. I like mine to still moo when I pull it off, so it's not on there long. I've never had to use steak sauce on any of my steaks cause the flavor is so great you don't need it
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I buy a half a beef at a time as I like really good meat. There is absolutely no comparison between store bought and what I get from my rancher friends.

Also you must not overcook steak. I like to get the grill hot then cook a 3/4 in steak for 5-6 a side then serve is usually perfect. I rarely get steaks at a restaurant that are as good as what I can make myself.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    1) Buy good meat. I prefer ribeye, or tenderloin if I am going to splurge.
    2) let beef come to room temperature, brush with olive oil.
    3) Season generously with sea salt, garlic powder, and pepper
    4) if you are cooking indoors, use a cast iron skillet or grill and get it really hot (almost smoking)
    5) Put the meat on for 3-5 minutes a side for medium rare, depending on the thickness of the cut
    6) Pull the meat off and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before you cut it or serve it.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    my husband never picks steak when we go out cos he says i can do just as well (if not better) at home

I typically pick a cut that is marbled nicely with fat, and is thick about 1 1/2". Never a totally lean piece. Can always cut the excess fat off when you eat it.
    I always go for scotch fillet. I find eye fillet too dry, and sirloin too tough.

HOT frypan, cast iron is best
    brush the meat with oil, rather than adding oil to the pan. Some freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste on the meat now.

Cook hot and fast on one side to brown, then turn with tongs, never pierce the meat, and cook slightly slower on the other side (but not slow enough that it stews) until juices appear on the top. That gives us a good medium-rare.

I would NEVER put steak in something like a foreman, it goes dry, tough and there's no flavour. I also never marinate a good cut of steak.

Very good suggestion there!
  • Thad81
    Thad81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    X100000
    Nothing else.

Go by touch -

wow! Reading about the very fast cooking time you guys talk about, I wonder if I'm too paranoid about E-Coli. I cook my steak about 15 min. :huh:

E coli is a problem in hamburger not steak... As fecal material is ground into the hamburger in big meat processing plants. Never cook a steak that long or it will be ruined unless you like a really chewy tough piece of meat... lol
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've never thought a London Broil was much of a steak. Get yourself a "steak". A Ribeye is usually flavorful due to the extra fat content. Strip versions or sirloins are usually leaner cuts. Simple seasonings, and if you like some pink / red in the center, get your pan / grill hot.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options

15 minutes? :huh: :cry: :sad: I wear boots, not eat them.
    Cooking a steak should be like teenage sex; hot and fast.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I cook my steak about 15 min. :huh:

My god...15 minutes will turn any steak into shoe leather. Buy a nice quality steak you don't have these problems. The best steaks are served rare to medium rare (in my opinion). Any more any you start losing the flavor of the beef.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Restaurants don't use foreman grills

Amen.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    grill all my steaks on my pit...
  • monbeaucher
    monbeaucher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmmm I want steak now....... :sad:
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Use filets or rib eyes. Salt and pepper. Sear it on both sides.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Pan sear in a hot cast iron skillet and oven finish.
  • tillyborn68
    tillyborn68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I typically don't like most steaks because I can taste that meat flavor I don't really like. The exception though is rib eye, for some reason rib eyes lock in all the flavors of a marinade, and I get too enjoy that full flavor without that meaty tate (don't know how else to describe it) I also like my steak medium well, close to well done, so I personally always stick with rib eyes since they hold plenty of flavor and stay tender even when cooked longer. The jack daniels marinade mesquite flavor in a ready made bag tastes great! and then barbequed 20 min for med, 25 min for med well. Hope this helps :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    my husband never picks steak when we go out cos he says i can do just as well (if not better) at home

I typically pick a cut that is marbled nicely with fat, and is thick about 1 1/2". Never a totally lean piece. Can always cut the excess fat off when you eat it.
    I always go for scotch fillet. I find eye fillet too dry, and sirloin too tough.

HOT frypan, cast iron is best
    brush the meat with oil, rather than adding oil to the pan. Some freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste on the meat now.

Cook hot and fast on one side to brown, then turn with tongs, never pierce the meat, and cook slightly slower on the other side (but not slow enough that it stews) until juices appear on the top. That gives us a good medium-rare.

I would NEVER put steak in something like a foreman, it goes dry, tough and there's no flavour. I also never marinate a good cut of steak.

This is a great technique. If you like it a little more done, preheat the oven to 400. Once it gets halfway or 75% to a perfect sear on the other side, pop it in the oven to finish to the appropriate temperature. (5-10 minutes usually does the trick)

A little trick: you can throw a few sprigs of rosemary in the pan, and place your steak on top of it.

After it is almost perfectly cooked. Take it out of the pan, let it rest (cover loosely with foil) for around 8-10 minutes. Then cut it. Your juices will redistribute and not pour out.

While you are resting the meat, make a quick pan sauce. Add some broth, wine, or water + soy sauce or balsamic vinegar to the pan. Scrape up the brown bits. Turn the heat up a bit so the sauce reduces. Once it looks pretty thick, turn off the heat. Then add around 1-2 teaspoons of butter. Stir, check for seasoning, and serve this yummy sauce with your meat. Add it to your starch or put it on your veggies.