Triglycerides

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
My sister, who is 27, just found out she has high triglycerides. What does that mean?

Replies

• LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    A higher fat, moderate protein, very low sugar and high fiber eating plan will bring her triglycerides down naturally and rather quickly too..............

I follow Atkins and my triglycerides dropped quite a bit from December to April. I will see how much more they will drop next month when I get blood work done again.

Check my blood work out - click on link in my signature.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    A triglyceride is a type of unsaturated fat. If hers are high, it means she needs to cut them out of her diet and/or take something to lower them. Omega fatty acids are supposed to be good for lowering your triglyceride levels. You can get them in fish or take capsules.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My sister, who is 27, just found out she has high triglycerides. What does that mean?

It depends. Triglycerides are often a marker for some other underlying issue. Her doctor should be giving her more details or doing more tests.

176328.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Amy_B
    Options
    I think she's going in for a follow up soon.
  • amijo08
    amijo08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This can usually be controlled with diet and exercise, but also genetics can play a big role in high triglyceride levels along with high cholesterol levels. Is there a history of these things in your family? I know a gentleman who is 50, weighs 130 pounds and is 5'5" (small stature) but his triglycerides were out the roof. Sometimes it doesn't matter your size either....All in what you eat and how your body absorbs it.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    This can usually be controlled with diet and exercise, but also genetics can play a big role in high triglyceride levels along with high cholesterol levels. Is there a history of these things in your family? I know a gentleman who is 50, weighs 130 pounds and is 5'5" (small stature) but his triglycerides were out the roof. Sometimes it doesn't matter your size either....All in what you eat and how your body absorbs it.
    Well, my mom died of a massive heart attack, and my dad has bad Type 2 Diabetes and has had a quadruple bipass. I guess genetics does play a part here. I hope this is what she needs to really do something about her body. I don't think she's a horrible eater or anything, but obviously, things need tweaked. She had gestational diabetes during pregnancy too, so I wonder if she isn't heading for Type 2 now since if you have GD, you're more like to get it when not pregnant also.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    A triglyceride is a type of unsaturated fat. If hers are high, it means she needs to cut them out of her diet and/or take something to lower them. Omega fatty acids are supposed to be good for lowering your triglyceride levels. You can get them in fish or take capsules.

Not necessarily..............

I upped my fat content about 30 or 40%, dropped sugar and processed foods and limit my fruit intake........

My triglycerides dropped quite a bit in a 4 month period.

I was told to do this by my Diabetic endocrinologist...............
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high triglycerides at a young age as well, and my doctor said that the estrogen found in birth control can sometimes cause this. I went off of the pill and two months later my triglycerides had gone down 200 points. (Yes, they were freakishly high to begin with.) I dropped into a healthy range simply by going off of the pill. Also, making sure that the carbs that she eats are high quality will help. My doctor had explained that tryglycerides are a biproduct of the liver when it processes sugars, so sugar, alcohol, and low-quality carbs are not advised.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high triglycerides at a young age as well, and my doctor said that the estrogen found in birth control can sometimes cause this. I went off of the pill and two months later my triglycerides had gone down 200 points. (Yes, they were freakishly high to begin with.) I dropped into a healthy range simply by going off of the pill. Also, making sure that the carbs that she eats are high quality will help. My doctor had explained that tryglycerides are a biproduct of the liver when it processes sugars, so sugar, alcohol, and low-quality carbs are not advised.

Wow, I knew the sugar, starches and such caused triglycerides to raise, it is not fat like most people think and are taught............

I never knew artificial hormones like BC would cause that too!