Eating Healthy is Too Expensive

Options
Helawat
Helawat Posts: 605 Member
I'm on a fixed income and I can't afford to eat healthy anymore. I'm not talking about going to Trader Joe's for fancy food, I'm talking about going to Walmart for fruit, veggies, good meat, and food we need for a balanced diet.

This is bull****.

Replies

• Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm on a fixed income and I can't afford to eat healthy anymore. I'm not talking about going to Trader Joe's for fancy food, I'm talking about going to Walmart for fruit, veggies, good meat, and food we need for a balanced diet.

This is bull****.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I hear you. We have learned how to shop around. I am feeding a family of 4 and 2 dogs on $130 every two weeks.
    Eggs are cheaper at longs than the grocery stores.
    Beans are cheaper in bulk-
    spices are cheaper in bulk
    grains are cheaper in bulk
    found costco is cheaper on nuts and frozen fruit and veggies.
    If you have swap meets or farmers markets-check out fruit and veggies there
    if you have a save mart-they do price to sell. Fruit and veggies that are getting a little ripe-I got 4 avocados for 69 cents-4 tomatoes for 69 cents-8 bananas for 59 cents.
    Get creative and you can do it. It takes time, but it is well worth it.

Today at costco I bought 60 lbs of dog food
    6.5 lbs of chicken breast
    12 pounds of chicken thighs
    3.5 lbs of dry roasted almonds
    7 lbs of frozen mixed veggies
    5 lbs extra lean ground turkey breasts
    for $68
    $20 of it was dog food

I got 7 different spices
    oatmeal
    multi grain hot ceral
    box lipton green tea
    apples
    pears
    bananas
    milled flax
    2 whole wheat bread for the kids
    1 gallon milk
    cilantro
    lunch meat
    2.5 lbs cheese
    3 lbs fish
    frozen corn 1 lb
    hot sauce
    juice box
    lanudry soap
    5 lbs red potatoes
    5lbs yellow onions
    4 red bellpeppers
    $38.73
  • Damonica
    Damonica Posts: 9
    Options
    :cry:
    too bad you feel that way
  • Damonica
    Damonica Posts: 9
    Options
    :cry:
    too bad you feel that way
  • hazed175
    hazed175 Posts: 5
    Options
    I find the same problem, especially with a family of 5 (me, my husband, and three teenage boys). I find I buy less, and the boys have less to eat that they like, which has always been an issue. I keep trying to figure out more options, by searching online or whatnot, but have yet to come up with a good solution. I They do not complain too much, but I find I have less to eat that is low calorie without seperate food. Especially since I started logging what I eat ( only three days on this site) I keep plugging away, though. Wish I had a better solution for you. If I find something, I'll gladly share.
  • ms213804
    ms213804 Posts: 5
    Options
    I unerstand all too well! As a poor college kid, I barely have any money. I made up a grocery list last night and have no clue how I am going to find the money to buy it all.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yup - when we move to the ranch I told hubby we are getting chickens and a milk cow!! The price of milk has gone up over $2 a gallon here and eggs have gone up like 40%. Its insane!! We will also have a large garden. Won't be there in time for that this year, but next year!!
  • rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about going to Trader Joe's for fancy food, I'm talking about going to Walmart for fruit, veggies, good meat, and food we need for a balanced diet.

This is bull****.

I totally agree we can almost not afford to eat healthy food. I could have bought 2 months worth of groceries for what I spent on 2 weeks worth today if we were eating like we used to. It is pretty hard to get your calories with the small amount of food you can buy. I think it is really crappy that you can eat junk for cheaper than you can eat healthy.:mad:
  • ms213804
    ms213804 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yup - when we move to the ranch I told hubby we are getting chickens and a milk cow!! The price of milk has gone up over $2 a gallon here and eggs have gone up like 40%. Its insane!! We will also have a large garden. Won't be there in time for that this year, but next year!!

There are also kits you can buy online to make cheese with....food and family fun and burning calories all at the same time ;)
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    You are right,:grumble: and I eat all of these mini meals throghout the day, it costs way more!
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    When I was in university, I was so poor my friends called me "Bag of Rice Mel." Denoting, of course, the massive bag of rice that was the staple of my diet.

A diet rich in whole grains and vegetables, and less centered on meat and processed foods, is considerably cheaper than you'd think. The catch is that you have to spend more time at the stove . . .

I only had $35 a week to spend on food, and here' s how I did it:

-Home cooked oatmeal for breakfast, or a cup of cereal, with banana slices on it. Bananas are cheap, and they're full of potassium and calories.

-Leftovers for lunch, along with another piece of fruit. If I had to eat out, I would get a bagel, which would fill me up.

-Dinner consisting of curry or stirfry or pasta, with veggies, or a piece of chicken or fish, with a big baked potato. Potatoes and root vegetables are cheap!

The trick is to eat less prepared foods.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    When I was in university, I was so poor my friends called me "Bag of Rice Mel." Denoting, of course, the massive bag of rice that was the staple of my diet.

A diet rich in whole grains and vegetables, and less centered on meat and processed foods, is considerably cheaper than you'd think. The catch is that you have to spend more time at the stove . . .

I only had $35 a week to spend on food, and here' s how I did it:

-Home cooked oatmeal for breakfast, or a cup of cereal, with banana slices on it. Bananas are cheap, and they're full of potassium and calories.

-Leftovers for lunch, along with another piece of fruit. If I had to eat out, I would get a bagel, which would fill me up.

-Dinner consisting of curry or stirfry or pasta, with veggies, or a piece of chicken or fish, with a big baked potato. Potatoes and root vegetables are cheap!

The trick is to eat less prepared foods.

Welcome back to the posts! Thanks for the reminders:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I always try to think that being healthy saves me money in other ways: less money on healthcare, etc.

It's like the old chestnut: "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."

I'm not trying to be glib here, and you won't get the greatest variety, but you can do it. And, mehughes is right, you have to invest the sweat equity in your food. I lived off of brown rice and lentil casserole for what felt like months at one point when my funds were particularly low.:flowerforyou:

But, I do think that the fact that processed poison is cheaper than actual food, is total BS. Agreeing with you there.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Also . . .

I have been complaining to anyone who will listen about the quality of produce in general at my local grocery store, and the price of the fresh herbs I like to buy.

So I had a silly idea. What if I grow some of this stuff myself? I have been reading up on basic seeding techniques and I think I am prepared to plant a small garden on my terrace once the warm weather comes. I really think I'll be less inclined to let that head of lettuce go to waste when I've raised it up myself.

Dill, chives and basil shouldn't be too hard, either.

I've also been thinking of trying one of the organic food box delivery services, which gives you a big ol' crate of local and/or organic goodies once a week for $30 or so.

I think we're all going to have to learn to make do with "less," in the not-so-distant future. I figure I better learn to be self-reliant, now.

Pardon me if that sounds a little doomsday, but, er, Google "The Great Depression." :noway: A cow and a chicken? Man, if I had a backyard . . .
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! eating lots of fresh produce and stuff is very expensive! I'm just a student with an extremely fixed income but I work around it. I buy frozen veggies and eat a couple pieces of fruit a day. The rest I buy like whole grain bread and have a sandwhich for lunch.. add some granola bars during hte day and eat cherios with milk for breakfast. Try to put in as much healthy fresh stuff as possible while staying within my financial limit. :S I also don't buy cold cuts for my sandwiches, I either make tuna salad or egg salad or go straight peanut butter.
    Its not the way I'd prefer to eat but it's good enough now until I can afford to buy better.
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    accidently posted twice (my bad)
  • jmlancour
    jmlancour Posts: 10
    Options
    Personally.... since i started eating better I eat less... don't buy as much food. The food I buy may cost a little more but I have been spending less money eating health. It actually saves me money.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I actually think I spend less as well....buy much less processed foods....buy less foods on sale or to experiment with (mostly junk)
    I buy lots of staples at Costco or in bulk when on sale...clip coupons
    I don't eat out much anymore...fast food etc.,...which saves $

Kim
  • TinaM
    TinaM Posts: 13
    Options
    It's a sad fact that, while you can eat healthy for pretty cheap if you are prepared to spend the time, the processed JUNK is so much easier and often cheaper. Anyone interested in Big Food and their influence on government regulators (Who are supposed to be looking out for us!!!) check out this guy: Dr. Yoni Freedhoff at http://bmimedical.blogspot.com/ He's Canadian, but I don't imagine things are too different in the states.

On this topic, especially check the March 31 post. It's exactly on topic.

(I sound like a total doom and gloom conspiracy theorist, but sometimes where there's smoke...)
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    Options
    I do apologize if this sounds ignorant, or maybe it's just because the area of the country I'm in hasn't really seen any effects of a recession, but I find that eating unhealthy is way more expensive than eating healthy. In my area the junk food is way more expensive than the fruits and veggies. I spend around $50-75 a week on groceries (depends on how much wine and special cheeses I buy), but it's more than enough for me and BF to eat all week (3 meals each) and for 2-3 snacks a day. If I tried to spend $50-75 on junk food, I wouldn't get enough food to eat and it would all be crap.

Could it be that it's more due to the recession than the actual food?