Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome

Options
Anyone on here that has this? I was just diagnosed Friday. The doctor basically told me stop exercising or have surgery. I think I've pulled about as much information off the web that I can but I cannot find an answer to 1 burning question. (I have a follow-up visit in a few days and can probably get the answer then but I really want to know). What will happen to me if I don't have the surgery (been doing physical therapy, he is the one who sent me to doctors) and I keep trying to exercise through the numbness? Will I be damaging myself in some way? I looked up the surgery and it seems like it would be pretty painful (and ugly). I would love to hear how things went for you if you did have the surgery too. Thanks so much for any replies.

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Compartment syndrome cuts off circulation to the distal part of the limb. Ie: if you have compartment syndrome in your Upper leg, you lose circulation to the lower leg. What happens to a limb that gets no circulation? It dies. An amputation is needed.
  • CrazyBiscuit
    Options
    Well, surgery is sounding better.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    It is better. Or you can work to avoid it altogether by following your doctors recommendations and not doing anything that could increase the pressure in the limb.

For the record, I've assisted in bedside fasciotomies and escharotomies and work with patients who either have or are at risk for compartment syndrome.
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My brother had it and had the surgery on his calfs, it's genetic and I have the symptoms but can't afford the time off work and don't want the scaring so I do low in pact exercise and stop when the pain gets too bad good luck
  • CrazyBiscuit
    Options
    Did the surgery work for your brother? I have mine scheduled for March 28. Apparently even my resting pressures are elevated to a rather high rate. The scaring sucks but I figure it will give me a good excuse for some cute tights. The symptoms have been getting worse so I've had to stop almost all exercise. What kind of low impact do you do?
  • joyosplash
    Options
    I'm a med student, compartment syndrome is bad news. Do the surgery before there is a big problem! Good luck!
  • neo200120018
    neo200120018 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yip surgery work for my brother, he now can play a game of rugby with no probs, his only prob was one of his wounds got infected so make sure people changing your dressings have a good aseptic techqinue.

I think mine is only mild compared to his/yours mine only bothers me if i walk for miles or try to run but things like zumba Im ok for short periods (20-30 mins a time)

Good luck!! maybe do pull ups? or upper body stuff or water based stuff check with ur doc
  • CrazyBiscuit
    Options
    That's funny. All the docs kept telling me to swim and I kept telling them if they want to pay for my membership to a gym with a pool and babysitting service I'll do it. I've been doing what little I can around the house crunches and whatnot but I really want to get in some cardio but can't. It's driving me nuts!