How to get 'addicted' to exercise?

Options
Hi everyone, recently I have not been exercising as often as I did before and I'm wondering if there was a way to get addicted to exercise again?

This would be amaaazzing help if you guys have an answer :)

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, recently I have not been exercising as often as I did before and I'm wondering if there was a way to get addicted to exercise again?

Everyone goes through their periods of waning motivation. That's the way it is. You can either rest or just push through.
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How did you make it happen the first time? I would like to get addicted for the first time.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I am not addicted to exercise, but I do absolutely love how I feel after it.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Find exercises/activities that you enjoy. It will help you be more motivated when its time to burn up the calories! :) The past year, I started taking fitness classes and it is super motivating to workout with a group. I have also set running goals which help me keep motivated!
  • kitkatwag
    kitkatwag Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    WOW! your weight loss journey is fantastic!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Find an activity that you look forward to, even if it's not "the" exercise everyone recommends. It's better imo to do an hour of something you enjoy and look forward to than half an hour of misery.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Try taking different classes, at the moment I'm addicted to spin, if my gym offered it I would take a spin class every day I love it! Just keep trying different things until you find workouts you really enjoy. For me I love how I feel after a workout, my mood is better my energy is better and over all I just feel really good. That's what makes exercise addicting for me.
  • _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As mentioned above, find something you truly enjoy. When you have done this, set yourself measurable improvement goals. Also, you could try making your gym/training/activity days something set in stone and make yourself go even when you don't feel like doing it...it will eventually become a habit.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Everyone goes through their periods of waning motivation. That's the way it is. You can either rest or just push through.

This.

For me, I hated doing cardio, but I love lifting, so I focus more on that. I love how strong and powerful I feel when I lift heavy. It's a great challenge to shoot for more weight every couple weeks than I could do before.

The key is to find a workout your love doing and push yourself every time you do it to do better.
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    It would help to have a very extreme personality! Once I force myself to, I end up doing it everyday, and I'm addicted!! :)
  • geordie119
    Options
    The hardest thing is starting it - you keep putting it off saying you will start tomorrow. Once you convince yourself to do it, the feeling after is worth it, and the extra weight loss from doing a good hard session makes it more addictive. I exercise some weeks, work permitting, for 3 hours a day, 6 days a week! It makes it worthwhile knowing before I exercised I was over 4 stone heavier, and I also feel so much more healthier. Good luck
  • thop123
    thop123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Good jams help me. I need something that makes me want to dance on the treadmill. Then I start jamming to the music and running all of a sudden becomes fun! It helps on other machines too, Good luck!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Start running.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's definitely all about finding something that you enjoy doing and feel like you can stick with. I personally love doing Zumba and I've apparently acquired a new interest in the C25K program and have actually started jogging. I'm not up to full steam of being able to just flat out run but I'm doing better than I was 5 weeks ago when all I did was walk on the treadmill. I just tried a spin class for the first time earlier this week and while it is not my preferred method of working out at the moment, I'm going to give it another try on Saturday to see if perhaps doing it at a later hour will have a different effect on me (the one I did was at freaking 5 AM!).
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I like the classes as I push myself to work hard so not to have everyone else thinking I'm lazy lol.
    Also I love my HRM as I try and beat the calories each time :smile: (although doesn't always happen!) x
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Do exercise you actually like. I don't like stuff like "insanity". Jumping for 30seconds and then doing push ups isn't my idea of fun so if I don't like it, I'm not going to do it. So I do zumba, or piloxing mostly for cardio. I do weights twice a week but piloxing incorporates most of my toning work. I also like yoga and try and do that a couple of times a week
  • maryloo2011
    Options

Was talking to my husband about this recently as he was contemplating that there was no "goal" since we just went on vacation for him to continue to work out. He needs an end goal whereas I do not. Every person is different, you just need to look inside yourself and figure out what you really want, and determine what is important to YOU. What will make YOU happy?

I said my motivation is seeing myself naked every day. If that is vain, then so be it.

I also love the way I feel when I am at the gym lifting, dedicated 5 days a week, to improve my strength and fitness. My dad sent me a package that was a printer and at least 5 cameras in the box and the girls in the office literally gasped when I lifted and carried the box effortlessly to my desk.

Muscles are beautiful.

This is why I "exercise" though I deem my exercise as more strength training, with running lightly throughout the week.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It may be easier to "get addicted" to how you feel after you successfully workout hard. I started with strength training with a trainer twice a week and walking several days for 20 minutes up to over an hour or more depending on my mood. Then I started classes and never looked back. I always have loved to walk so it was a natural, non threatening start. If you just start with something without over thinking it you may be off and running on an exercise and active lifestyle.