New and SUPER KEEN!!

Options
Hello out there!

I've used the food diary tools a little bit on myfitnesspal before, but I never took advantage of the forums before. I'm excited to be here and hope to meet some friends and allies :happy:

I have been trying to lose weight as long as I can remember... I’ve always felt like I'm living in someone else's body. It's time for me to get it together once and for all, shed these extra pounds and feel good in my own skin. At my top weight, I was 280 pounds. After discovering some food intolerances, I cut out dairy, eggs and gluten and slowly switched to a vegan diet. My weight dropped to 235 where it stayed since 2008 (I'm currently 225). I have been an on-again-off again-runner for years and even ran a half marathon. I go through bouts of activity and then I let it slide.

It finally hit me that I'm REALLY GREAT at seeing the end picture... but I'm not so great at figuring out the steps to getting there or following through. I also figured out that once something is part of my identity (ie being vegan), I'm rock solid. So my strategy is to take baby steps, consistently and to identify myself as a thin person, as an athlete, as a runner, etcetera, just like I did with being vegan. My goal is to be 150lbs before the end of this year.

I’m not really changing up my diet; I already eat very clean. I’m influenced by Dr. Joel Fuhrman and his focus on nutrient density. I more or less follow his “Eat to Live” concept. For exercise, I have two major goals at present: the first is to run another half marathon at the end of May. The second is to complete a round of P90X. I have flirted with the program before so I know what I’m getting into, lol. I started this week!!

I’d love to hear from other vegans out there :smile: Are any other “obese” people doing P90X??

I hope this isn’t too long-winded for an introductory post!!

Ella :heart:

Replies

• lucky_74
    Options
    Love your goals! I am a fellow runner and have a May 6th half marathon run in Vancouver, B,C.
    How is your training for that going?

I am not a Vegan, was a vegetarian for almost 20 years. About 5 years ago I introduced seafood into my diet.

Have a great night!
  • ella78
    ella78 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi Lucky :) Thank you!

My half is in Ottawa - May 27th. The training is going well; normally I'd have to force myself out the door in the winter months to get my training in but it is BEAUTIFUL here! Feels like spring.

I toy with eating fish... I did have some salmon at Christmas but I didn't really enjoy it. I was actually disappointed because I was interested in introducing fish back into my diet. I should clarify, I'm not a true vegan as I take a fish oil supplemement daily.

Hope you had a fantastic day!
  • 2Grtkids
    Options
    Excited to find you! I ran a half marathon weighing 201 lbs. I've vowed the next time I'll be lighter. I also do p90x, although not even close to consistently.
  • ella78
    ella78 Posts: 23
    Options
    Wow! That's awsome 2Grtkids!! Glad you found me too :) Are you running now??

I made the same vow, re: the half. Last year I weighed 235 on race day... I'd like to be under 200 lbs for the next one at the end of May.