Kale: What to do with it?

Options
flibberdajibbitt
flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
I've never cooked with kale before....and I've just bought some. I realize I can add it to soups....but what else can I do with it?

Replies

• Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use it like I do spinach, cut the vein out chop it , saute it, add to ommlettes, stir frys, steam cook it toss it with sesame oil, add cooked kale to my hummus with roasted pepper and garlic.
  • ucanduit
    Options
    You can make a salty snack with it by putting on a rack on a cookie sheet, spraying with cooking spray, sprinking with sea salt, and baking in a 350 oven for about 12-15 minutes. Kinda crunchy and salty. Only 15 calories per cup.
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Cool thanks for asking this, I just picked some up tonight and was wondering as well :)
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain as a base for salad instead of lettuce. I also steam it and add some garlic salt. Someome will no doubt recommend kale chips, but I find those completely gross.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I love lightly frying/steaming kale. I make it a bit easier by using a couple of squirts of one cal frying spray, first I cook some onions and garlic together then add the kale along with a bit of water and a lid to steam it, it's delicious like this.
  • basenji
    basenji Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like it in smoothies (aka green smoothies or green monster smoothies). I usually blend almond milk, frozen banana, frozen strawberries, vanilla protein powder & either kale or spinach (fresh or frozen). It doesn't sound very appealing but it does taste good.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just picked some up earlier and made kale chips for lunch. You just add some oil and salt and then bake them. I wasn't really expecting much, but they were actually pretty good.
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    steamed with garlic, pepper and lemon juice, delicous!
  • JasonSwetland
    JasonSwetland Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I chop it up and add it too iceburg lettuce salad to get a mixture of crunches. You can also make Kale Carrot Muffins. I have been thinking about making these. The video starts with a racoon, thats the correct one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqHNCbOcQC8
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Can't wait to make this Kale, Apple and Pancetta salad this week. I put it in smoothies, soups, salads, anywhere I'd put spinach. Also, if you eat it raw, give it a good massage w/ citrus zest and a bit of oil, to make it tender and more flavorful.

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2012/02/kale-apple-and-pancetta-salad.html
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I make kale salad:

I bunch chopped kale
    1/2 cup dried blueberry cranberries
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1/2 chopped apple

Dressing:
    1 cup cottage cheese
    A squirt or 2 of lemon juice
    1 tbs olive oil
    Sea salt
    Cracked black pepper

In mixing bowl toss salad ingredients.
    Risk dressing ingredients and pour
    Over salad toss till coated. Shake on
    Some Parmesan and enjoy! Makes 4
    Side servings. Sometimes I add crumbled
    Bacon and it's a meal. :)
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    kale in smoothies...

steamed kale with dinner....

raw kale chips done in the dehydrator....

kale wraps - put filling in, roll them up, eat them.

I love kale!
  • divinehostess
    divinehostess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here is a really good recipe for making kale chips: http://divinehostess.wordpress.com/2012/01/16/kale-chips/