Weighing In

Options
Just curious what your pattern is... when do you weigh yourself, and do you record it on mfp every time you step on the scale? How often do you weigh in vs. how often you record your weight? What do you do when you have a small gain, record it or determine to lose it as quickly as possible to get back to your recorded weight?

I've seen a few different opinions in my short time here, so I'm just wondering what do YOU do?

Replies

• megannicolex33
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, or almost every day. But I only record it on here once a week. Recording the daily fluctuations would drive me (and my friends) crazy! I just weigh myself every day to track my progress and make sure I'm staying on track.

I don't record my small gains because I know I'll lose it again and seeing it on here would just discourage me. For example, this week I gained 1 pound because I've been sick and unable to exercise, but I didn't record my weight at all. I'm just going to wait until I see the scale go down again. :)
  • LauraLizo
    LauraLizo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself most mornings but I only ever record it on MFP once a week - Wednesday morning is my 'official' weigh day, and thats the one I take as my actual weight loss. If I gain when i weigh on a Wednesday I record it, and try to lose it by the next week! If I go up and down throughout the week I don't worry too much, its only my weekly weigh in that i go by!!
  • Gemnildy
    Gemnildy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can't help but to step on the scale before my shower each morning but I consider Monday my actual "weigh day" and that is usually the only day I record it. I do see the daiy fluctuations of +/- .2 - 1.0 lbs but it motivates me to stay on track each morning. I have sort of hit a plateau for the last couple of weeks but my schedule has also been rather crazy. This week I am getting back into my routine and I expect to break the cycle anytime! :flowerforyou:
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    Track weight every Monday morning. Out of bed, after the customary loo visit, on empty stomach [and naked :) ]

Loss, Std or Gain - note down and adjust my calory/cardio accordingly. I aim for an ambitious 2 lbs every week.

Cheers.
  • dowzey
    dowzey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. What I do is, I record when the weight has gone down, but not if it has gone up, except when I gained big, like 1 kg day. The next days I will continue weighing myself and I wait till the gain is gone and start going down again, and that's when I'll start logging my weight again. The reason I do this is because I am determined on losing weight and since I don't plan on giving up soon, every pound down is a pound gone. Today I gained 0.3 kg but I won't log it because I know it will be gone in no time, since I've been losing every day for the last week.
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i weigh in once a week, but only because i have to. i am on a medication where i have to keep track of my weight. once i'm off that medicine, i probably will check once a month. i don't want to get obsessed with the number, i just want to go by how i feel. if i'm doing everything i should be doing, that number will eventually come down.
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I vary. I usually weigh every day. The program I am following right now for some reason causes major weight flucuations. At first that freaked me out. Now I am used to it and really only worry about my Saturday weight because that is my weigh in day. I think you will just find what works for you and likely stick to it. Thanks!
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Saturday on my Wii and that is the only weight that "matters" and I only track it on MFP if it is a loss....
  • MissedStar
    Options
    I've just started going to a diet class so i'm officially only updating weekly
    i have stepped on the scales today and its heading in the right direction
    but officially i'm going by the weekly weigh in
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Sunday morning.
    Sunday because if makes me behave better Friday and Saturday, knowing "the reckoning" is coming.:grumble:
    Only weekly because the scale makes me crazy. If I go down I celebrate by eating, but if I go up I comfort myself by eating.:noway:
    My husband and I weigh in at the same time and log it in MFP .:love:
    (I confess, if my weight is up, it figure it is water and wait until next week to log my update.):blushing:
  • Mandarz
    Mandarz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    IF i have a gain i usually dont record it, i did in december for my christmas gain cause it was like 4 or 5 pounds :( I try to record once a week- our group does friday weigh ins sometimes i get impatient and weigh in early, i try not to record more then twice a week- i am currently doing weekly pictures
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how everyone does it differently! I saw someone else who logs every loss or gain so they can see the pattern on their chart, which could be interesting too...

I hit 13lbs lost, then went on a trip, enjoyed lots of treats and came back with a gain of almost 4lbs. I decided not to record that, but to work hard to lose it... today I finally passed it. I'm not sure if this will be what I always do, but I'm thinking if it's less than a 5lb gain, I won't change my mfp log. Maybe I should make that 2lbs instead, but I know my weight can really fluctuate!

As far as weigh ins and recording losses... I've been weighing myself 2-3 times a week- in the first few weeks I recorded each time, but I think I'll try for once a week from now on. Still have to develop a pattern and see what works best for me!
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. This works for me because I am afraid of becoming discouraged if I see the scales move in the 'wrong' direction, and let's be honest, weight doesfluctuate like that. :)
    I weigh every Monday and document whatever it says.
    Last week, it barely moved (which is frustrating because I worked my butt off last week) but hopefully, it moves this coming week. ???
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. This works for me because I am afraid of becoming discouraged if I see the scales move in the 'wrong' direction, and let's be honest, weight doesfluctuate like that. :)
    I weigh every Monday and document whatever it says.
    Last week, it barely moved (which is frustrating because I worked my butt off last week) but hopefully, it moves this coming week. ???
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Sunday and Weds. I don't weight on the other days because I work in the OR and have limited water intake,so if I weight the morning after I work then I am retaining some fluid. And I always weight first thing in the morning,after going pee.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i weigh every monday