1200 Calories - Struggeling

Options
Hi i really looking for tips or advice, im looking to loose 30lb, i have been on off on off, but really trying now but im struggeling to fit the goal under 1200, espcialy on the days i cant get the gym or time to burn extra, like if im going out.

Im scared to put the calories up, as im really stuggeling to loose the weight, stuck at 165lb for ages, im going to the gym and walk every day but seem to not be able to start.

I feel hungry all the time too, and that makes it so hard to stick too! Im trying to swap sugary snacks for fresh fruit, nuts and things where I can eat more with less callories. I feel ive given my diet a big overhaul but seeing no benefit, am I maybe not giving it time? How long should it take?

Any tips would be great!

Gillian xxx

Replies

• scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Here are some thoughts. I am allowed 1250 kcals by MFP to lose 1/2 lb per week so I struggle with this also.

1) decrease your weight loss goal to 1/2 lb per week if you are not already there. You will still get there slowly but surely. It's better to have a higher goal that you stick to than a lower goal that is not attainable. A decrease of wt loss by 1/2 lb per week increases your allowed calories by about 240 kcals per day unless you are already small to begin with. It's amazing what a difference that 240 calories can make.

2) Find creative ways to get moving or burn calories. I set my computer at work up so that I now stand 8-9 hours a day instead of sitting. That gives me another 100 calories a day. I brought a ministepper and step 45 sets pf 100 steps in between my cases (I process about 50 cases a day and each set of 100 steps takes about 1 min 20 seconds so that adds 60 minutes of walking time in my day, another 194 kcals. I step while I am setting up, thinking, and processing the case in my mind and them stop stepping when I type or dictate. I don't exactly count but I know my average times for these things so this is an approximation. These two changes add 294 kcals to my MFP allowance. I have discovered that the stepping keeps me more mentally alert , perhaps it's the increased oxygen to the brain? Something like walking and thinking.

3) With those extra calories treat yourself! I have a caramael chocolate (85 cals) and a skinny cow bar (110 cals) almost every night. That makes all the standing and stepping worthwhile.

4) For eating out or special occasions, I try as hard as I can to work out and build my allowed calorie buffer to at least 700, preferable 900-1000 calories before I head out, so that I can really enjoy myself and not hold back. That might mean 3-4 miles of running, cumulative, anywhere within 48 hours prior to the event.

Of course I try to exercise 3-4 times a week also , I tend to eat back all my exercise calories but as long as the overall trend on the scale is down I will continue with that.

Hope that helps someone. I personally felt too deprived on 1250 kcals so this works for me.
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    thanks for that, i was aiming to loose 1 1/2 lb a week but its just not happeing at all, even when im under my goal.

Thanks for the tips, I am chained to my desk 8 hours a day and theres nothing i can really do to change that with the job I have, in a call centre. But im when the weather gets better going to try and walk at lunch, now its a no go as everything is flooded and muddy.

Thanks for the tips, maybe I do need to start off slower and build up!

Thanks again
    Gillian x
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have mine at -1.5lbs a week and its 1310 calories and I had 100lbs to lose now 90 Ive lost 4lbs 1.5lbs 3lbs 1lb and stuck to it I think your body will give what it wants to so maybe as scrappy said change it no good struggling and losing lots best to feel full and lose slightly less if this is for life it wont matter if it takes a little longer? xx
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    try and eat more low cal foods... Egg whites are an awesome filler.. You can eat more in a day. For example 1/2 cup of egg whites is only 60 cals!!! my two cents.

I have cheat days once a week.... I have never had issues with loss
  • almonds1
    Options
    I just had a look at your diet setting..

Some things such as your energy drinks are 115 cals.. If you find something such as a sugar free energy drink which has no cals (aspartame tho) are zero cals..
    Also the crepes are high also..
  • tiggerdug
    Options
    yeh think im going to give the egg white thing a go, I hate waste but I could give the yolk to my he is one of these lucky guys that never puts weight on.

I problem Im having is im trying to stick to it, but every time i stand on the scales it still says 165lb, and my jeans still wont go up! :o(

It de motivates me and i think whats the point! x
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and on 1200 calories a day. I manage it most days even without exercise. Feel free to check out my diary to see what I eat.

One change I made was the fruit I was eating. I swapped bananas and apples for grapes and satsumas. It saved me quite a few calories.
  • tiggerdug
    Options
    yesterday wasnt a great day, as I wanted pancakes for pancake day! hee hee
    I usaly go for sugar free red bull but I had that in the fridge and ended up just having it!
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    First off don't try to be UNDER 1200 - you need at least 1200 so better to be slightly over than under. Second, eat back your exercise calories or you will be hungry - your net calories need to be 1200 or your body will not be getting enough to sustain it. Some people find that 1200 is just too low and they actually lose more by eating more calories. I find the best way for me is to go by weekly rather than daily calories so my average per day is 1200 (eating back exercise calories) but I can eat more some days and less others. Also 1lb per week or less is plenty to lose so don't feel disheartened if you're not losing lots of weight - slow and steady is best. Good luck!
  • tiggerdug
    Options
    you're struggling because you're not eating enough. If your calories are to low, they slow down thyroid function which lowers metabolic rate.
  • tiggerdug
    Options
    cant get the hang of the quoting thing, anyway I have heard about the not eating enuff thing, but im scared to eat more and get bigger
  • sandown12
    Options
    Im everyday trying to change what I eat on a budget but bread went in 4 weeks ive had 2 slices,I eat more protien then I did but still trying to up that but its using your calories like fuel find ones that are good and healthy low in amount that fill you up and no caloried drinks except protein ones x
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Try and make the most of your calories- I eat 1220 calories a day and I feel like I've eaten more than ever before- lots of vegetables as they are very low calories.....

Try and only drink diet drinks or water
    Measure out your carbs
    Use low-fat products

There are lots more tips out there...I just can't think of them at the moment
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've just gone in an raised mine to 1300. i think 1200 is too low. that's my 2 cents! i don't want to send my body into famine mode.
  • sandown12
    Options
    cant get the hang of the quoting thing, anyway I have heard about the not eating enuff thing, but im scared to eat more and get bigger

Its the quality not quanty that will lose you weight I look at people diaries that have been here months and lose regulary the ones that arent hungry and you get to see this differently have a look make lots of mfp friends
  • rachaelclark2
    Options
    Mines set at 1200 a day too and I was surprised to see how quickly the cals add up! I've cut out things like butter, mayo, ketchup etc altogether, they dont look like many cals/fat on their own but they really do add up.

Also been filling up on water, its given me so much more energy.

Finally, to combat my sugar craving at 3pm I suck on a sugar free sweet (just one!) and it seems to work.

Small changes can make the biggest difference!
  • almonds1
    Options
    yeh think im going to give the egg white thing a go, I hate waste but I could give the yolk to my he is one of these lucky guys that never puts weight on.

I problem Im having is im trying to stick to it, but every time i stand on the scales it still says 165lb, and my jeans still wont go up! :o(

It de motivates me and i think whats the point! x

Get egg whites without the Yolk?
    The yolk is high in cholesterol..
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    if you think back to what your calories per day were when you weren't watching what you were eating... I'm gonna bet they were double if not TRIPLE the 1200 cals your aiming for.

I upped mine and I lost 6 lbs. Your body needs GOOD fuel to run right. and Maintain GOOD fuel levels to KEEP GOING!

high fiber foods will keep you fuller. If you feel hungry... DRINK WATER FIRST!

after you work out eat some protein. ( within 30 mins of working out) ( helps repair the muscles you just used) Some even drink chocolate milk! ( high protein good calcium)

these are just mine opinions and advice given to me previously!
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i find that if i stick to what the setting say i should be intaking and nt change them, then i lose weight i dont as a general eat my exersie cals unless like yesterday was pancake day so did extra zumba to have a pancake lol. when i started i was on 1450 cals and was hungry all the time, as my weight has dropped so have my cals and im now on 1350 and unless its a day like yesterday in normally under goal and not feeling hungry, so my advice would be check ur settings and stick with it for a week or so, if ur like me dont make plans to spend time with family and freinds until u get the huner under conrol as in ratty when hungry lol
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi tiggerdug
    Jealous of your haggis slice - I used to live in Scotland, loved a Haggis Slice Supper. Now back in my homeland Australia :-)

I just had a quick look at your diary, looks pretty good, but maybe by being more careful in your choices, you might get more food for your calorie expenditure? eg try Ryvita instead of the Oatcakes; check the calorie value in breads - they vary hugely. Just read labels, check your portion sizes. Also check the calorie values in MFP - sometimes they are way out and you may be getting misled. I check the nutrition panels against the nutrition listed all the time.

I was advised by an MFP friend to think about having protein at breakfast - this is to kick start my metabolism, so now I have two eggs "fried" in a non stick pan, on one slice of bread/toast (or sometimes two slices). It gives me a good start to the day. I drink my coffee without milk or sugar now, and like it; drink lots of green tea; and I try & drink lots of water. By not having sugar & milk in my drinks that gives me more calories to "spend" elsewhere. I don't drink soft drinks - occasionally have a glass of wine - like this weekend coming - daughter's birthday :-)

I am nearly always under my target of 1200 and usually feel really full at the end of the day, to the point where I don't think I COULD squeeze in another calorie. I have had the odd day where I have just wanted to eat & eat, but not many.

Don't give up; I know it is so frustrating when you are stuck for a while. Can you change / increase your exercise routines? Maybe hide the scales for a week or two, and be really strict on what goes into your mouth, choose better options every time. Then sneak out the dratted scales and have a look.

PS Also watch sodium intake - that is a sneak one and makes me hold onto weight :-(
    Good luck, hang in there, we all need to know we can all do this :flowerforyou: