Freshly caught trout, what would you do?

Options
Picola1984
Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
As the title says really, a nice work colleague has given me a freshwater trout from his fishing trip yesterday. I was thinking about just grilling with lemon or poaching but bit unsure of what seasoning and herbs. Maybe dill?

Suggestions would be cool!

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Grilling is a great idea, and the dill would go nicely, little lemon and course salt and pepper, when you have somthing fresh and nice as trout do not overcomplicate it, just enhance it. good luck.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Grilling is a great idea, and the dill would go nicely, little lemon and course salt and pepper, when you have somthing fresh and nice as trout do not overcomplicate it, just enhance it. good luck.

My dad fishes for trout, this is def my fav way to cook it too! If you want to be adventurous smoked is nice too. xx
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Paprika and garlic sprinkled and wrapped in foil for 25 mins at 180c convection oven with sweet potatos and greens. Lush!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Let it swim away! I don't cook fish well.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Or Mystery (on the left) will eat it raw.
  • Elarissa
    Elarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like it with dill and a little mayo u p the middle, then wrap in tin foil and bake for 15 minutes in the oven.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think trout and pesto go really nice together - grill with a little salt and pepper and serve with a homemade pesto sauce and a little lemon juice.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I grill it and add Salsa to it!!

wait, thats salmon... I should try it with trout
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    salt and pepper, grilled.
  • Picola1984
    Options
    Some really nice suggestions guys thanks. Love the paprika idea, its my face spice at the moment. The fish is massive so ill cook half with the lemon flavours and freeze the other half for the paprika spices

Bit apprehensive about de-boning it but I'm sure ill manage!!
  • Picola1984
    Options
    I think I may take up fishing, so so fresh!

I was tempted to have a raw bit with some soy but didn't

IMAG0193.jpg

Grilled with lemon juice/ lemon slices and fresh dill

I ate one whole side of the beast!

IMAG0195.jpg