My Favorite Breakfast Right Now...

Options
Old fashioned quaker oats, 1C. skim milk, dash of salt. Microwave for 3 min, add 1/2 mashed banana (for sweetness) and 1/2 c. raspberries.

This sticks with me for hours and its so yummy. And it is none processed healthy food.

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Oh my sounds delicious gotta try it
  • briansurv
    briansurv Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You should try the Steel cut oats, so much healthier but I still buy regular oatmel at times, with 4 little ones....not much choice.

Also try making the scrambled eggs in the oven, use a small muffin pan and put eggs and then add peppers or turkey baco, or just Bacon and whtever you feel like. very good although may be hard to count the calories.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of oatmeal, so - cream of wheat made with half milk and half water, a dash of salt, a teaspoon of honey, and the real reason that I eat it - one tablespoon of chunky peanut butter! MMMM!
  • lynnie25
    lynnie25 Posts: 93
    Options
    i have to try it..i have cereal in the morning and like an hour later i'm still hungry...:blushing:
  • kimatfitnesspal
    Options
    Sounds good!
    If you need something even quicker, I just discovered an easy/quick breakfast that is yummy and stays with me:
    Active Lifestyle Instant Oatmeal (Almond and Cranberry). The almonds give it some crunch and the cranberries add sweetness/flavor. I cover mine with water, nuke for 1 minute, add 2% (or skim) milk, mix it all up, and it's done! At 170 calories a pop, you can't beat it! Total fat=3.5 g, Chol.=0, Sodium=110mg, Total Carb=27 g (soluble fiber=4grams), Protein=8 g.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You should try the Steel cut oats, so much healthier but I still buy regular oatmel at times, with 4 little ones....not much choice.

Also try making the scrambled eggs in the oven, use a small muffin pan and put eggs and then add peppers or turkey baco, or just Bacon and whtever you feel like. very good although may be hard to count the calories.

I only eat steel cut oats................much less processed than regular, old fashioned oat meal.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Sounds good!
    If you need something even quicker, I just discovered an easy/quick breakfast that is yummy and stays with me:
    Active Lifestyle Instant Oatmeal (Almond and Cranberry). The almonds give it some crunch and the cranberries add sweetness/flavor. I cover mine with water, nuke for 1 minute, add 2% (or skim) milk, mix it all up, and it's done! At 170 calories a pop, you can't beat it! Total fat=3.5 g, Chol.=0, Sodium=110mg, Total Carb=27 g (soluble fiber=4grams), Protein=8 g.

That is too processed for what a lot of people are trying to do............
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    My breakfast that I have been making :

This makes about 50 ounces and I drink it all morning long.........

2 scoops Jay Robb egg white protein powder or vanilla whey powder (all natural, sweetened with stevia)
    1 raw egg
    1 cup full fat organic yogurt (i use mountain high brand)
    6 ice cubes
    2 cups spinach
    2 cups kale or collard greens (whatever I have on hand)
    1 cup broccoli
    1 cup cauliflower
    1 carrot
    1 stalk celery
    2 bananas
    1 cup blue berries
    1 cup blackberries
    1 pear, peeled and cored
    splash of vanilla extract

Blend all together, put in a 64 ounce container and carry it with you.....................

All natural, cold (for the hot days) and tastes yummy!!!! Getting lots of fresh veggies and fruits.

I have a raw salad for lumch, including raw cheese and I made some home made ranch dressing from sour cream and heavy cream............
  • GraceKelly
    GraceKelly Posts: 7,378
    Options
    Sounds good!

That is too processed for what a lot of people are trying to do............

It works for her......
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal too!! Never thought I would crave it in the mornings like I do, but I notice a huge difference in my endurance throughout the day after enjoying a bowl. Here is my basic recipe and then eveyone has their own favorite add ins....

1 cup water
    1/2 c. quick cooking oats or old-fashioned oats
    dash salt
    2 t. cinnamon
    1 T. honey

Bring water and seasonings to a rapid boil and stir in the oats. Turn off heat and let oats continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
    ** If you are using regular old-fashioned oats bring water and seasonings to a boil and stir in the oats. Turn the heat back to medium and cook, stiring occasionally for 5-7 minutes or until all liquid is almost absorbed. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Spoon into a bowl and stir in your favorite toppings.

Try any of these:

Fresh strawberries or blueberries
    banana
    1 T. peanutbutter or almond butter
    1 T 100% fruit preserves (Apricot is our fav)
    1/4 c. chopped walnuts
    2 T. raisins or cranberries
    1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options

I don't really get the difference between steel cut and old fashioned, can you explain. How long do you cook your oven egges?

By the way, I am a Hoosier too. Ossian, IN - 20 min south of Fort Wayne.
  • LeanLioness
    Options

I don't really get the difference between steel cut and old fashioned, can you explain. How long do you cook your oven egges?

By the way, I am a Hoosier too. Ossian, IN - 20 min south of Fort Wayne.

Some information comparing Steel cut oats and rolled oats (old-fashioned oats) from a clean eating website...............

Basically from what I have read, steel cut oats are less processed, contain more fiber, vitamins and minerals..........making is a little more healthy than rolled oats........
    Clean eaters often enjoy a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast or sometimes during the day. Have you ever wondered the difference between steel-cut oats versus rolled oats? I have yet to try steel-cut oats but have seen it for sale quite often. There are several differences between it and the typical rolled oat variety. These include:

Much longer cooking time (30 minutes)
    More cholesterol lowering soluble fiber than other oatmeal
    Takes longer to digest so you stay fuller longer
    Chopped with steel blades resulting in a “chewier” oatmeal
    To sum it up, steel-cut oats are basically a less processed version of the rolled oats. Since both versions are the same when it comes to nutrition, it is a matter of taste and preference as to which you would eat. Personally, I like the quick cooking of the rolled oats. However, I do like the fact that steel-cut oats contain more fiber.

Here is the website I copied and pasted the above from:

http://eatingcleanworks.com/steel-cut-oats-vs-rolled-oats.html
  • lynnie25
    lynnie25 Posts: 93
    Options
    Old fashioned quaker oats, 1C. skim milk, dash of salt. Microwave for 3 min, add 1/2 mashed banana (for sweetness) and 1/2 c. raspberries.

This sticks with me for hours and its so yummy. And it is none processed healthy food.

i just made this..but with no salt and added my homemade fruit salad.........SO GOOD..:bigsmile: