nagging husbands...

Does anyone else have well-meaning husbands that continuously nag them about what they consume? The other day I decided that since I don't like water, I would continue to drink it, but treat myself to a diet soda every once in a while. My husband informs me that the sweetener in diet sodas can cause cancer and that I should just stick to water. What kind of sweetener is in diet soda? What kind is in Crystal Light? I find myself pissed that I might not be able to drink a diet soda because of some freaking sweet and low issue. I really want to lose weight, but I find myself continuously discouraged. I am an emotional eater, so the worse I feel, the worse it gets. Any advice?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Nagging...or does he care about you?

My husband will remind me not to eat things that aren't healthy...but I see it as he wants me around for a long time.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    The claim that diet soda causes cancer is pretty much void of dosage/context.

If it were me, I'd continue to enjoy my diet soda and I'd asspunch the hubby in his sleep.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member

If it were me, I'd continue to enjoy my diet soda and I'd asspunch the hubby in his sleep.
    this! tell him to quit nagging or you will eat everything in site and get bigger still. what a jerk
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Most diet sodas use aspertame as a sweetener. There's been no evidence that it causes cancer and in any event, one can of diet soda per day is not enough to cause any kinds of problems unless you're allergic to it, or something. Here's a link to what the American Cancer Society has to say about aspertame. You can let your husband read it, if you think it'll help.

http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/CancerCauses/OtherCarcinogens/AtHome/aspartame
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    I believe all things are good in moderation. There is no way that having a soda here or there will be the cause of cancer! I wouldn't worry about it, sometimes I use fake sweeteners and I know there are plenty of foods I eat with them in it. I am not too worried about it, I figure why avoid it.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member

If this does not work, you could always mix some nair into his shampoo, then nag on him for going bald...
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Drink the soda.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. Soda and aspartame are not teh evil.

Be prepared for the onslaught of the soda nazi's coming up shortly in this thread though.
  • Ddmck1
    Ddmck1 Posts: 89 Member
    I have family members that are like that. I try not to take it personally and remind myself they are being supportive in their way. And then I try to turn it into a positive (which diffuses them a bit). For example on the diet soda I would say "You're right! That's why I've decided to only treat myself to them once in a while"
  • It only feels like nagging because he has an opinion on EVERYTHING!! I'm a very quiet person but I get irritated when people try to input their opinion on everything. My husband is slim and in shape, and has been all his life. I hate to say this, but I kinda feel intimidated by him, especially always trying to give me advice. I hate to even undress in front of him!!!!
  • That so sounds like something I would do!!!!! LOL!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    There is a fine line between caring concern for your well-being and nagging. Could be he just doesn't see it and truly wants you to be as healthy as possible. I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but at then end of the day, only you control what passes your lips. My husband used to bug me constantly about doing more cardio. I HATE exercise, I don't like moving or getting sweaty :tongue: But I know he is coming from a place of love. My family has a history of early death and debilitating strokes in the 30's, and he just wants to see me through a long and happy life together, so I cut him some slack :smile:
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    http://www.jonbarron.org/heart-health/bl110303/diet-sodas-risk-factors

Maybe the dude is just looking out for you, just saying.

Added: Maybe let him know his approach in not welcomed, his concern and caring about your health is and suggest a better method to his approach to it.
  • I don't know if diet soda causes cancer but I do know that your body doesn't know if the sweetner is zero cals or regular sugar so therefore your body reacts the same. So if you really want a soda why not just drink a regular soda? Go get those little ones in cans at walmart so you don't over do the sugar and calorie intake and it will satisfie your craving. Another thing you can try is a little fresh lemon in your water will really help the taste. And tell hubby to go jump in the lake...nagging doesn't help!!! Good luck.
  • Thanks... I tell myself that he just wants what's best for me...that's what keeps me from biting his head off. lol
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Take off your top. He won't care so much about the soda....
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I'm sure he's just looking out for your best interests with the most up-to-date information he has. Take your top off and show him some data that disproves the "diet soda gives you cancer" argument.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Thanks... I tell myself that he just wants what's best for me...that's what keeps me from biting his head off. lol

ROFLMAO!! I so get this. I have one of those too. He knows alot about working out but zero on nutrition, so he keeps telling me just eat salad. I love him but I do get tired of telling him, I need to eat more than salad.

We do workout a few days together but he loves free weights. He is raher jacked for 52 - 5'8" 175 with only 12% body fat so he knows that. However when I tell him I need to do cardio, he thinks I would be better off doing weights.

Again I love him and would never be rude but it does get wearing.
  • hippychickuk
    hippychickuk Posts: 93 Member
    Does anyone else have well-meaning husbands that continuously nag them about what they consume?

I'm sure there's something you could nag him right back on! LOL! Tell him you'll stop if he stops. :tongue:
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    http://www.jonbarron.org/heart-health/bl110303/diet-sodas-risk-factors

Maybe the dude is just looking out for you, just saying.

Added: Maybe let him know his approach in not welcomed, his concern and caring about your health is and suggest a better method to his approach to it.

Agreed, sounds like a man who is just trying to look out for his wife. He loves you. Soda may not cause cancer, but it is in no way good for you. This is one that I don't agree falls into the category of "all things are good in moderation". But if that soda keeps you from cheating in worse ways, well, do what you have to do I guess. I decided April of last year that I was giving up soda, had my last taste of my Dr.Pepper on April 19th. Don't regret it a bit. But that is just me. Go give your husband a hug and thank him for caring! :flowerforyou: