33 year old woman only eats Pizza

Options
TeeferTiger
TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
Following on from the British chicken nugget thing, this lady has only eaten pizza for every meal for the past umpteen years. She's been diagnosed with Selective Eating Disorder.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/claire-simmons-pizza_n_1292160.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk1&pLid=137340&ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I kinda feel sorry for people like this... to never know the wonders of different flavors and textures....
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    wow....well, I guess it could be worse.....pizza at least has some nutrition in it even if it does have a lot of fat and calories. We have some Lou Malnoti's pizza sent to us from Chicago and keep a couple in the freezer for those nights when no one wants to cook, and pizza sounds like heaven. Expensive? yes. Fabulous? oh, god, yes.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    At least pizza can have items from all four food groups. There are definitely worse cases of selective eating out there. I saw an episode of Anderson Cooper's show with one woman who ate only potatoes, mostly as hash browns. :huh:
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I once worked with a guy who mainly lived off of peanut butter sandwiches. He only had a few others things he would eat besides that. Such as plain rice, or grilled chicken with no seasonings or anything on it. I felt so bad for his wife.. I mean really, in order to go out to eat you had to make sure there was a kids menu, or a place that would cook his chicken plain. He didn't eat any veggies, and only an apple or two an entire year. Every Monday he would bring in a loaf of white bread and new jar of peanut butter.. according to him, "peanut butter goes bad after the 5th day". :ohwell:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My 45 year old brother eats mostly just pizza. Occasionally a steak.

He's skinny as a rail, and I don't know how he does it. If he ever dies though it'll probably be because of the two cases of Dr. Pepper he drinks a week. Did I mention skinny as a rail?

Hate him. (kidding) lol
  • davessweets
    Options
    I just cannot imagine eating only one type of food or just a couple things. There are so many choices out there and so many delicious flavors. Im sad for these people because u cannot realistically get all the nutrients and vitimans u need out of one type of food. Im thankful for the choices i have.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Following on from the British chicken nugget thing, this lady has only eaten pizza for every meal for the past umpteen years. She's been diagnosed with Selective Eating Disorder.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/claire-simmons-pizza_n_1292160.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk1&pLid=137340&ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

I'll diagnose her as a ****ing idiot!
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    I just cannot imagine eating only one type of food or just a couple things. There are so many choices out there and so many delicious flavors. Im sad for these people because u cannot realistically get all the nutrients and vitimans u need out of one type of food. Im thankful for the choices i have.

I'd at least have veg on the pizza to get my 5 a day :laugh:
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    I did not read the article to see if she only eats certain types of pizza but I am betting that one could have a satisfying and varied diet given all the different kinds of pizza that there are. Now, if she is only eating Pepperoni pizza then she may be lacking in some vitamins and minerals. I make a pizza at home that has less than 600 calories per half and is on a 12" crust.
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    I did not read the article to see if she only eats certain types of pizza but I am betting that one could have a satisfying and varied diet given all the different kinds of pizza that there are. Now, if she is only eating Pepperoni pizza then she may be lacking in some vitamins and minerals. I make a pizza at home that has less than 600 calories per half and is on a 12" crust.

You should read the article then... :smile:
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    Yup, just did. What parent is going to let their 2 year old only eat cheese pizza?
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    Yup, just did. What parent is going to let their 2 year old only eat cheese pizza?

We had this lengthy discussion when the British teen who ate mostly chicken nuggets story was put on here. We don't know what methods the parents adopted (if any) to get her to eat anything else. Or, as it's a psychological issue, whether they could get her to eat anything else. Perhaps they took her to doctors and they couldn't do anything for her either and they just said that as long as she was eating something then not to worry?

It's not fair to cast aspersions on the parents without having all the facts.
  • MissVCI
    MissVCI Posts: 277 Member
    Options

We had this lengthy discussion when the British teen who ate mostly chicken nuggets story was put on here. We don't know what methods the parents adopted (if any) to get her to eat anything else. Or, as it's a psychological issue, whether they could get her to eat anything else. Perhaps they took her to doctors and they couldn't do anything for her either and they just said that as long as she was eating something then not to worry?

It's not fair to cast aspersions on the parents without having all the facts.

I suppose, and i know 2 year olds can be picky, but there is no excuse for only giving you kids chicken nuggets growing up. And at 2 years old what psychological issues could the kid be going through to be only able to eat chicken nuggets.

It's like the parents who overfeed their kids and wind up not being able to pick up their 3 year old son because he is 220 pounds.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Alright so this is a real thing. I have it too, although not as severe. It's basically a type of OCD and your brain is programmed to be afraid of a food you don't already eat. It's a similar response to if you were presented with a snake or something. It's a fight or flight thing. So it's not something you can really help. The way I've gotten better is to basically go through EXTREMELY uncomfortable therapy sessions and trying a certain food over and over and over and over until I finally get used to it. It does get easier over time, but it's extremely difficult and the people affected are not likely to beat it on their own.