Need cheap healthy food advice :)

Options

Replies

• Hey Courtney!

When I was a student I used to pick up lots of healthy stuff at Lidl and Aldi. I think you have them in the states, and if you can get to one it's so worth it!
    Sure, the people are a bit gross and the food comes out of pallets, but it's a damn sight better than the "economy ranges" you can buy at regular supermarkets for the

Their wholemeal seeded bread is just 84p in the UK. It's actually less cardboardy than our leading brand and over half the price! From what I remember, everything in the states is cheaper anyway, so you'll probably get even bigger bargains!

A couple of weeks ago I spent £40 ($65) in Tesco. I tried out a lot of their "Value" range and was wholly dissappointed in the quality.
    Last week I spent £40 in Lidl, came home with literally double the number of shopping bags and with a variety of wonderful things; smoked salmon, light cream cheese, wholewheat pastas, brown rice, brand name ketchup, shed loads of tinned fish and frozen chicken fillets, fancy herbs and spices, low-fat crackers...! The place is a goldmine for those that want to eat gormet, on a budget.
    I also got some wonderful treats for the fella (who is not on so much of a diet) including dozens of different kinds of chorizos and posh pizzas!

The best thing is that, because they all come from Europe, there are so many more varieties of tinned, jar-ed, frozen and vacuum packed foods to try out that keep for months(!) meaning you can shop big and keep overall costs small!

If you don't mind weaving amongst hoardes of shuffling hobos and pensioners to get the tastiest and cheapest food around, get down to a Lidl or Aldi near you!!!!!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    soups are great and are cheap to buy the ingredients esecially beans I buy black beans and lentils for less than $2 per bag and they are 2lb bags they will last awhile. I also have an aldis in my area where I can buy canned veggies for less than .50 each of course fresh is better but not always possible especially in cooking. Just drain and rinse the can veggies before adding them. The soups I make feed my family of three at least 4 times if not more plus they freeze really well.
  • Gratzi
    Gratzi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My favorite "cheap" thing is old-fashioned oats for breakfast. I eat it like cold cereal with a few almonds, raisins, cinnamon and skim milk.
  • missloo12
    missloo12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I second the slow cooker suggestion. My favorite recipes all use the slow cooker, throw in some healthy stuff, veggies, lean protein, some kind of liquid, spices... then set it and forget it. Endless possibilities and it's really hard to mess it up.
  • swycoff17
    swycoff17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'm not the only one that thought canned tuna. I used to live on that stuff in college. I still really enjoy it. Fruits and veggies are always a good choice, as well as yogurt. I also get a lot of the big frozen bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts. They're perfect in a pinch.
    Lean Cuisines/Healthy choice meals go on sale all the time, when they do...stock up--Same goes with progressive soups and granola/cereal bars.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    whole wheat pasta and ground beef, you can eat for day with a package of each and provides good carbs and protein. Make sure ground beef is 93/7, lean.

no spaghetti sauce. way I cook it brown the beef, season with garlic, pinch of salt and pepper add water (after you have browned the meet) and tomato sauce (half a can) add some parsley, basil and you have at least 6 meals with it maybe more. I eat 2 cups of pasta at a time so you I'm sure you can eat for almost a week from it. Total cost less than $10 for everything.
  • yogi_meg
    yogi_meg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also am on a pretty tight budget, but here are the tips that worked for me:

4- Only buy food you are going to eat or like. I would spend 50 bucks/month buying yogurt because it's healthy, but it always went bad because I didn't like it, and therfor wouldn't eat it. Just because it's healthy doesn't necessairly mean you're going to actually use it.

I started freezing my yogurt before it went bad in icecube trays. Now I always have yogurt on hand to make smoothies. A fun idea I found on pinterest (my new addiction).
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone you need to freeze your meals. It is soooo easy just to grab and go especially when you are so young. If you set aside time on the weekend to make meals or soups to freeze. What is great is crockpoting and freezing leftovers for another day. there is a site I like called skinnykitchen she shows you how to make the food and gives good healthy recipies.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into which foods are the cheapest on a per calorie basis. So far, the best I've come up with is whole wheat flour and dried pinto beans (sold in bulk). Corn and corn meal is pretty cheap, too.

Also, to echo what someone said above, sweet potatoes are awesome. In this area, they're one of the cheapest vegetables (THE cheapest by calories) and they're extremely nutritious, versatile, and tasty. Growing them doesn't require pesticide or much fertilizer, so there's no need to buy organic. They also keep very well, so if you see them on sale, buy as much as you can carry. I like to cut them up as fries and bake them with just a little bit of olive oil.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely frugal, so here are my suggestions:

1. Look at the grocery ads for the stores in your area. I have about 13 ads from various grocery stores in the area (and I live in a town with 1 grocery store and WalMart) and I see what's on sale for the week and price match it all at WalMart. That way I'm only making one trip to the store, but still getting the best deals. If you have Mexican grocery stores in your area, price matching their meats and produce (along with bags of beans and rice) will save you TONS of money! When shopping, also use coupons for any of the products you are buying that are on sale...extra savings! If you use a certain brand, email the company and tell them how much you like their product, how often you use it, etc. and most of the time they will mail you coupons to use on their products.

2. As others said, get a slow cooker/crockpot. You can make large quantities of food at a time to freeze for future meals and you'll be able to "cook" meals while still doing homework or in class.

3. Plan plan plan what you are going to eat. If all of your room mates and you are going to be eating together (like family style), make some type of menu based off the food that you purchased so it gets used up and doesn't go bad. This will help you not waste money, but will help with time management and also your planning of your food diary for the day. Win all the way around :)

4. If you are getting graduation gifts or money, you can always save that towards kitchen items that you may need, such as a digital food scale or a George Foreman type grill for meats.

5. As for recipes, etc. there are some great ones on here and I tend to look up recipes too on allrecipes.com of stuff that we like and then just modify the ingredients (or omit some) to make them healthier. We are a family of 4 and we always have leftovers that I freeze for future nights for dinner or for my DH to take to lunch the next day. You can do this too so that you don't have to worry about cooking every night, especially when you have a big test or project that needs to be worked on.

Hope some of this helps! :)
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    Steele oats for breakfast and smotthies with frozen fruit no sugar aded (walmart)....not tthat this is all you should eat but they are cheap and healthy!

Oatmeal is cheap, healthy and filling. I love to have oatmeal for dinner or lunch. I don't buy the Steel Oats although I know they are supposed to be better for you. My store doesn't carry them.

Also smoothies are great and filling as well. If you buy Vanilla you can add a lot of different items to vary the taste. My daughter will be a College Freshman in a dorm and will be taking her shake mix with her. She already has one every morning for breakfast and it keeps her full until lunch. Unsweetened almond milk - a little pricier than regular milk but it lasts longer and has less calories. Don't have to worry about it going bad. Can also be mixed with light cranberry juice, orange juice, V-8 juice, etc.
    One of my favs - 2 scoops protein mix, 1/2 tsp. coconut extract, 1/2 tsp. coco powder, 8 oz. almond milk, 4 or 5 almonds and ice - blend - YUM!!!

Lots of smoothie recipes here and also on Pinterest.

Lots of luck!
  • alaska11
    alaska11 Posts: 151
    Options
    I started freezing my yogurt before it went bad in icecube trays. Now I always have yogurt on hand to make smoothies. A fun idea I found on pinterest (my new addiction).

Great idea!!! I freeze milk in ice cube trays so I don't have to use ice in my smoothies but never thought about freezing yogurt. Sorry a little off topic but also saw a post about freezing leftover wine one pinterest for those of you that like to cook with wine.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't usually shop at national retailers. I always go to the Mexican grocery stores. They have great prices on produce. Sometimes the quality is not the best, so it might take a little more time to pick the good one. But that doesn't matter if the price is right. For instance, just last week they had oranges 7lbs for $1.

You can make your own salsa very cheap. Diced tomates, onions, jalapeno (optional) Lime juice and salt. I use it on all sort of things to kick it up. You can put on roasted chicken, or an a turkey-burger, or top of some greens instead of salad dressing.

Costco -
    1. Quaker Oatmeal 10lb for +/- $7. This is the first time I buy it, but it's a ton of oatmeal. I'm thinking it could easily last 3 months worth of breakfast for both me and my boyfriend eating it every day. I usually add cinnamon and some fruit.
    2. Fage 0% Greek Yogur. The big tub is about $5. The serving size is 1cup, but I usually only 1/2 because of the protein it really fill me up. Add some fruit (fresh or frozen) and some honey and it's a great filling snack.
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of investing in a slow cooker, since I'm also a frugal healthy eater. Any tips on a good, inexpensive model to try?

PS -- I thought I was the only one on MFP hitting up the Mexican grocery stores for the deals. :-) It baffles me how they could be so much cheaper than everywhere else, but somehow they are and they're still in business, so they clearly have a good business model.
  • msracefan
    msracefan Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, I have a 6 qt. Hamilton Beach crockpot that's the travel style that I got at Walmart for like $20. I believe they have 4 qt. ones for like $15.
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Make stews, soups, casseroles etc in large batches in weeks where you have extra money and freeze in 1 portion containers for weeks when you don't have as much money or are too busy to cook.
    I used to eat heaps of eggs as well, omelettes, frittatas, scrambled on toast.
    Buy beans (such as chickpeas) in bulk to add to stews etc above.

I totally agree with the above! I always make a double batch and freeze half! Soups freeze really easily. Eggs are super cheap and you can do so much. Quiches are a great way to use the veggies from the farmer's market she mentioned. Farmer's markets definitely have some good deals.

Eating less meat is also a great way to save money.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I second eatingwell.com It's one of my favorites. I also use brokeandhealthy.com. It's pretty awesome and it's got tips other than just food too. If you're interested you can check out my own site. I post my menus and recipes too. Most are really cheap though I admit to experimentation a lot. It's at rillsmenu.blogspot.com.

I wouldn't worry about buying meats unless they're on sale, then buy in bulk and freeze it. You can get plenty of protein in other ways. Dried beans are cheap and really good for you. Rice is cheap. Old Fashioned oats are cheap. Carrots, celery, salad greens (not bagged/pre chopped) also run on the cheap side. Frozen veggies/fruits are also an excellent bargain. Buy fruits/veggies that are on sale/in season and if they're cheaper than pre-frozen, stock up and freeze them yourself. Hmm....that's all I can think of atm. You just gotta open your brain to the possibilities. Stay away from packaged/processed as much as possible. Plan ahead and schedule so you have time to cook foods for yourself. Good luck!
  • tiffloy
    tiffloy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eating at home is ALWAYS cheaper than going out. It just takes time, patience and planning. Also, I use the couponsense website to save over 30% on my groceries every week - sometimes more!
  • BoxOfficeTroll
    BoxOfficeTroll Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump