To my fellow Canadians Beware of American Calorie Counts

I'm sure lots of you have figured this out by now but just incase I thought I'd put up a post. Sadly it would appear our neighbours South of the boarder have more calories to deal with when they eat out, and even with some store bought items. Example I found today: Arby's Jr Roast Beef U.S 210calories Canada190calories. That's a pretty small difference for that item, however I've found some that vary by 40 calories. Be sure to try and find items specifically for Canada, if you can't double check with the companies Canadian nutrition website. If you find out the item isn't availble in Canadian calories be kind and add it for the rest of us with Canada in the description somewhere ;)

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    yes i noticed this as well, i was surprised! i noticed it in boxed items, dressing, etc almost everything!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Why are Canadian calories less than U.S. calories?
  • lin7604
    good question we should ask the companies that make the items....
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member

because they use metric calories and US uses standard calories?

(haha it's a joke)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    I noticed this as well, but thanks for the post! Some might not have noticed!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Different "allowable" ingredients in foods for one thing. Always a good reminder ;)
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member

because they use metric calories and US uses standard calories?

(haha it's a joke)

I was laughing before I got to your joke disclaimer =)
  • Why are Canadian calories less than U.S. calories?

Companies tailor their food to the tastes (or requirements) of the market. Americans are fatty and love fattiness. For example, most Americans drink lots of soda, but many people from other countries can't stand it because it is so sweet.

Differences in calories and flavor are common between different countries.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Hmm time to renew the passport and start shopping up north I guess.
  • lin7604
    i wouldn't it will cost you more!!!!!! that is why we go to the states :)
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Different "allowable" ingredients in foods for one thing. Always a good reminder ;)

That exactly. Our rules are different on what is allowed to be in our food, including hormones when it comes to animals.
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member

I was only joking. The border is like a 5-6 hour drive.
  • lin7604

I was only joking. The border is like a 5-6 hour drive.

haha, you never know,lol. when we go to the states, it's about a 2-2.5 hr drive and we always get groceries.. you guys have way more selection then we do! and cheaper, especially things like cheese....
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Good God I hate this country more and more every day. Any Canadians like some American neighbors in their 'hood? :P
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 462 Member
    Interesting... very very interesting. I had no clue that different countries had different calories for the same foods. You learn something new everyday here on MFP.

I will say though - I eat at such a deficit right now with my workouts - that I am trying to cram calories in to at least get a positive net.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 718 Member
    I noticed this before. I love taking shopping trips across the border to buy lots of good American crap :)
  • SCC88
    SCC88 Posts: 215 Member
    It's not just the US and Canada, we have some products made by the same brands over here in the UK and I have to make sure I'm selecting the right ones as the UK is generally lower in kcals than the US, Canadian and Australia versions.
  • _darrencohen
    _darrencohen Posts: 8 Member
    All you need to know, our Heinz Ketchup has high fructose corn syrup and Canada's Heinz Ketchup has sugar.