So I KNOW I need to eat my exercise calories....but

Options
I don't know how to do it!!! When I am "on track" I plan out my meals and when I add in my exercise calories I have lots of calories left at night and can't really be eating 800 additional calories at 10pm! I also don't want to eat bad calories but good calories.

So I 'm looking for suggestions on what to eat to fill in my exercise calories. Here is my menu from yesterday a day when I did NOT workout. So I need ideas to add to this. I usually burn per my HRM 600-800 calories on days I exercise

Breakfast
Wegmans - Large Egg, 1 egg 70 cal
Bananas - Raw, 1 small 90 cal
Weight Watchers Reduced Fat Cheese Snacks - Cheese Snacks, 1 piece 45 calories
Jell-O (Jello) - Gelatin Snacks - Sugar Free Strawberry Sugar Free, 1 snack 10 calories

Lunch
Chicken Salad, 159 calories (as figured by me)
Green Giant- Steamers Roasted Red Potatoes, Green Beans& Rosemary Butter Sauce, 200 calories

Dinner
Vegetables, Fresh: - Yellow Squash, 81 calories
Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 1 medium - 31 calories
Oil - Olive, 0.2 cup 382 calories (used more than I should have here)
Harvestland - Grilled Chicken Breast Strips, 135 Calories
Wegmans - Shredded Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese, 138 calories

Snacks
Weight Watchers - English Toffee Square, 1 pieces 50 calories
Kellogs - Fiber Plus Antioxidants Chewy Bar Chocolate Chip, 1 bar 120 calories

Total: 1,511 calories
Your Daily Goal: 1,520 calories

Replies

• weightoffmom
    weightoffmom Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My Hubby and I are running into this same problem. Maybe some veterans can help
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Bigger snacks!
    My snacks (between bkfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner, after dinner around 9 pm) are usually in the 150-200 calorie ranges. It's not hard. . .I usually just have an ounce of nuts or a large glass of milk (usually in the form of a nonfat latte) or even a treat like a small piece of dark chocolate.

When my metabolism is kicking, I get hungry for those snacks. The bonus of them is, they prevent me from being starving come meal time.

:flowerforyou:
  • melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    Bigger snacks!
    My snacks (between bkfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner, after dinner around 9 pm) are usually in the 150-200 calorie ranges. It's not hard. . .I usually just have an ounce of nuts or a large glass of milk (usually in the form of a nonfat latte) or even a treat like a small piece of dark chocolate.

When my metabolism is kicking, I get hungry for those snacks. The bonus of them is, they prevent me from being starving come meal time.

This same idea works for me... I have breakfast ... mid morning about 100 cal snack... lunch and mid afternoon about 100 cal snack.. dinner and a little treat after dinner while relaxing... mmmm small piece of dark chocolate... :) Stay Blessed...
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, almonds are a very healthy snack. Also a good snack is string cheese. An indulgent and healthy snack is dark chocolate covered almonds!! Yummy. Another yummy snack is a corn tortilla with avocado slices in it with a little salt or salsa! Good luck!

216974.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • LosingMoosey
    Options
    Why do you have to eat your exercise calories?
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Add in mid morning snack - like fruit or yogurt and something in the afternoon too - 1 oz almonds maybe.

You could drink a protein shake or chocolate milk after a workout.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to eat your exercise calories?

With your goal set by MFP you are already at a deficit - if you don't eat your exercise calories, you're putting yourself into too low of a zone of net calories - your body needs so many calories to function properly.

Check out threads about starvation....It's real - I've been there.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Me too.

I have bigger snacks to make up for exercise calories. Cottage cheese plus fruit. Turkey summer sausage and crackers. Celery and peanut butter. All are usually around the 200 cal range.

So it works out like this if my normal calories are 1200 plus I exercise 300:

Breakfast - 300
    snack - 200
    Lunch - 200
    snack 200
    Dinner - 400
    snack - 200
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    Jell-O (Jello) - Gelatin Snacks - Sugar Free Strawberry Sugar Free, 1 snack 10 calories
    Why not eat full fat cheese & plain yogurt with strawberries or flavored yogurt instead of the jello pudding
    Lunch
    Green Giant- Steamers Roasted Red Potatoes, Green Beans& Rosemary Butter Sauce, 200 calories

Add walnuts to your chicken salad
    Dinner

Eat more chicken, add full fat cheese, and a potato or rice
    Snacks
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 36
    Options

Breakfast

Lunch

Dinner

Snacks

Total: 1,511 calories
    Your Daily Goal: 1,520 calories

Breakfast
    2 eggs instead of 1

add a mid morning snack (nuts, string cheese, etc)

add a snack between lunch and dinner

dinner - substitute red meat ( if you eat it) ,add a salad with a tablespoon of dressing,
    add a small potato or a slice of bread.
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing to do is increase your portions at breakfast, morning snack, and lunch. But I agree with everyone that nuts and string cheese are simple additions. My favorite snack is an apple with peanut butter. Lucky you to have this problem!!