To my MFP Catholic family

Options
TrueBlueBruin78
TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
Lent starts tomorrow for the Catholic community and I am an active Catholic so that means that Ash Wednesday means a day of fasting for me. I hope that i can do this. I know my faith will get me through it, but im only human, I think im just going to drink protein shakes throughout the day just so that i can function through the day. That is way less then what i would normally be eating. Is that cheating?

And we are asked to give up something as well, I am giving up red meat for this Lenten season.

What will you be giving up?

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Right now I'm just doing the traditional way of fasting & abstinence by not eating anything other than fish & veggies. But the thing is I love seafoods so another thing I do is to be more patient & control my temper.
  • rheamanda
    rheamanda Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am also attempting fasting for the first time. I have been Catholic my entire life by label only. Recently, I have made a stronger attempt to learn more about the religion I have been raised in. Pray for me.
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been Catholic ever since I was born. I'm giving up CHOCOLATE sweets becasue I love chocolate but I can't give up sweets entirely.
  • worldgirl28
    Options
    I am having tuna for lunch and flounder for dinner. I had my usual protein shake + soy milk for breakfast. For snacks, I'm going with carrots and yogurt. For lent, I'm giving up unhealthy living and promising myself that I will make it to the gym for 40 straight days, not cheat on my food and not give up on myself. I figure now that I've got God involved, I've got a pretty big motivator lol
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm only 50% Catholic (other half Jewish, so quite the mix)

Not giving anything up but I have vowed to do something active every single day of the 40 days.
  • AprilPayne24
    Options
    I'd like to give up chocolate too but I LOVE my SlimFast Chocolate Shakes in the morning so I decided to give up fast food. It should be a win-win. And my dedication is to attend Mass every week. I'd love to be able to do it. We shall see...
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    My blood sugar goes all wonky when I don't eat regularly, so I have to fast with modifications. I used to do a complete fast when I was younger. Can't do that anymore.

I'm giving up dipping into the candy bowl at work. I need to be more disciplined. This . . . will be a challenge.

I'm also commiting to saying my morning and evening prayers more regularly.

+ Peace
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am giving up weighing myself until good friday. I am exercising at least 30 minutes a day. I am going to mass every weekend even when my twins are misbehaving. I am going to pray more and ask for God's help in all that I do. I need to stop being lazy in my faith.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    not Catholic but Lutheran( pretty close and still follow very similar beliefs)
    I have chosen to give up ice cream in all forms..even frozen yogurt. I'm going to limit my sweets as much as I can....with the exclusion of a tiny bit of dark chocolate.
    I am taking baby steps here but plan on only weighing once a week instead of every day multiple times...I'm going to put my trust/faith where it should be and focus on my spirit and mind for the next 40 days!

Good Luck to everyone, may the next 40 days go quickly for you!
  • mahjohweeee
    mahjohweeee Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm going to attempt to give up carbs specifically bread, pasta, rice, and crackers. I don't eat a bad amount of it, but I figure I can replace eating those carbs with veggies etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for carb replacements?? I love tofu and beans etc but I wasn't sure what else I could eat. :)

I'm also going to attempt to give up social media during the work day.. youtube, facebook, twitter. I found a google chrome extension called "Nanny" that allows me to block these sites during the day for a set amount of time. I'll only allow myself to log in at lunch time or if I am on the go (walking to meetings etc) .. on my phone. I also set it so I will only be allowed to use it for a total of 60 minutes in a day. Here's hoping I don't get the "shakes" lol.
  • jnbud2002
    Options
    I have decided to give up sweets snacks like chocolate covered pretzel 100 cal snacks (any sweet 100 cal snacks that have chocolate), desserts like my fave, ice cream or froyo, and cakes (MIL makes cakes or any other delicious desserts on Saturday Family Din nights) I'm feeling good about this. Hubs is going to do it with me too. I am going to try and replace it with fresh fruits if I need me a sweet snack.
    Good luck to us all! We can totally do this!
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I'm giving up the snooze button for 15 extra minutes of exercise and making sure I get both of my workouts in every day... : D
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    I am giving up chocolate
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I'm "fasting" today for Ash Wednesday by only eating three small meals and no snacks. For the season, though, we are giving up fast food and are going to eat vegetarian once a week in addition to no meat on Fridays. Should be interesting.
  • Iris1415
    Iris1415 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fasting doesn't necessarily mean that you are giving up EVERY SINGLE BIT of food. You can give up a majority of what you eat for a day; I think God would understand that your health is important. Plus, at least you are recognizing God and worshiping Him.. :) Personally, I love Lent. It makes me dedicated to do things I have been meaning to do for ages, but just haven't mustered up the strength to actually do. Going to be eating healthier and am giving up Rage Comics for Lent. I know, I know, what a nerd, but I can't help it! Bless all :smooched:
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm also giving up "bad" chocolate. But for the first time in a very very long time, I'm fasting today.

I'll eat one "normal" meal for supper, meatless. But the rest of the day I'll just eat lighter snacks. Definitely will include a protein shake though.

I'm a little nervous about fasting too! Trying to concentrate on God when my stomach hurts.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Lent starts tomorrow for the Catholic community and I am an active Catholic so that means that Ash Wednesday means a day of fasting for me. I hope that i can do this. I know my faith will get me through it, but im only human, I think im just going to drink protein shakes throughout the day just so that i can function through the day. That is way less then what i would normally be eating. Is that cheating?

And we are asked to give up something as well, I am giving up red meat for this Lenten season.

What will you be giving up?

I too am giving up red meat as well as pork. Only poultry and fish for me this season. Because I am hypoglycemic, I cannot "Fast" on Ash Wednesday, but I am eating no meat today (including no fish) to observe the holiday.
  • JCN_1103
    Options
    I'm also Lutheran. I have no intentions of fasting today. Rather than giving something up, I'm going to be active for the 40 days.
  • Deeranged1
    Deeranged1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Giving up pasta!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I decided I do not want to put anything in my "did I really need that" part of my food diary. - this usually contains food when I am going to go over my cals, cookies and desserts and alcohol. So basically when I don't need it. I am not giving up chocolate because trader joe's has a chocolate oat bar and some granola bars have chocolate and I use them for snacks while skiing and such - but the unnecessary things are GONE for 40 days.

I also participate in the no meat on Fridays....:ohwell: though lately I have realized my meat has decreased since I found Morning star Bean burgers and fake chicken pattys (which I will count as meat on Fridays) they are soo good.