Anyone giving something up for Lent?

Options
Theology discussions aside, I thought I'd try giving something up for Lent this year. I've never been very good with "resolutions" and the like, but this one made sense. I'm giving up alcohol. I've never been as good as I should be about logging those calories, so I thought I'd just see what happens when I eliminate them. It's not that I drink THAT much, but I'd say 6-7 drinks a week, and that adds up.

Anyone else? Health related or otherwise. What's your sacrifice for these 40 days?

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Im giving up WHiskey!
  • mollyanne01
    mollyanne01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol. Definitely a sacrifice! Here's to 40 days on the wagon!
  • Iris1415
    Iris1415 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am going to be eating healthier and am giving up Rage Comics for Lent... Call me a freak, but those things are hilarious and addicting! :laugh:
  • Deeranged1
    Deeranged1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am giving up pasta!
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided yet this year- I was thinking about white bread- I love it so.... but I don't eat it every day, so I'm not sure if it really counts as a sacrifice....
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Can I give up eating healthy?
  • num1
    num1 Posts: 3
    Options
    About 10 pounds hopefully
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am giving up my scale. I weigh myself multiple times a day and all it does is waste my time. So for the next 40 days I will have no idea what I weigh!! I'm excited!
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Cholcolate! I usually eat a handful or two of chocolate chips in the evening. If I can give it up for 40 days then perhaps I will kick the habit (and master the cravings).
  • Leslye125
    Leslye125 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am giving up processed sugar/sweets. I will continue to eat fruit and naturally occurring sweets. I am also giving up fast food.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol and cigarettes back in July...for...ever. And this place has me cutting out practically all my sweets anyway - no more sitting down and watching a movie and eating a whole bag each of spice drops and jelly beans.

So I went with something a little different: I gave up Facebook, Twitter and my iPod.

I've been trying to write a bit more so I figure that eliminating the time that I would normally spend babbling about meaningless silliness there, I could spend actually writing. The iPod was so that I would be more present in my day to day commute (about 2 hours each way on trains) and less like a zombie.

I will of course, be annoying the crap out of y'all here now though. ;-)
  • lbw1204
    lbw1204 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've never participated in lent but I thought I would give it a try. I have several friends who do it every year. I am giving up white pasta and bread! Wish me luck.
  • _greeneyedgirl_
    Options
    Chocolate and soda. And I'm hoping a few pounds! Swearing (I don't do it that much but the kids don't even like it when I say sh1t), and procrastinating.

The kids are giving up getting any new toys, videogames, etc. and donating them to the children's ward at the hospital.
  • Coco_puff901
    Coco_puff901 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and give up alcohol (and soda) as well (With Sunday being a free day) Good Luck to everyone .... it's only 40 days !
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up FACEBOOK! :laugh:
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    We are giving up fast food and are going to eat vegetarian once a week in addition to no meat on Fridays. Should be interesting.
  • jb140
    jb140 Posts: 29
    Options
    As I understand Lent...you're supposed to give up things that are a distraction/roadblock to your being a better person.

Well...since Ive taken on the whole healthy lifestyle thing, I've already given up everything that has been a distracfion to me....junk food, smoking, port wine (sigh...).

I couldn't really announce giving up sex in front of the kid's youth group...so I told them I was giving up TV. (still might give up the sex for a while too...just gotta get the boyfriend outta my house...total distraction...might just trade him for the port wine)
  • charliesmagic
    Options
    About 10 pounds hopefully

Hahaha! I like this!! Good attitude and good idea! :smile:
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I started practicing giving up sweets as a teen so after all these years (I'm 39), it's no big deal. This year, I decided to take the time to ADD something instead of removing something: I will pray more on a daily basis :flowerforyou:
  • charliesmagic
    Options
    In addition to a good idea of adding my dedication to attend weekly Mass, I am giving up being lazy for Lent. Hoping this will be a good way to establish a good habit. I used to be a pretty good exerciser...then I stopped. I am aiming for 4-5 days a week minimum. Going to mix cardio and strength training plus DEDICATION to MFP. *crossing my fingers!!* I can do this!!! :bigsmile: