Vegetables

Options
I am not eating enough vegetables. No if and or buts. Not sure how to break this habit. I would like to replace my entire lunch routine with an all veggie options. (cutting out those carbs I so desperately think I need) My questions is how and what. Anyone have suggestions or receipts you want to share?

Background on me - 40 yrs old - CW 172 - SW 218. Cardio 6x week plus core and strength training 1 x each. Plateau here, but my eating has been bad lately!

Replies

• motthman
    Options
    What I have been doing is making something i normally enjoy eating. With my 14+ hour days at work it can get pretty easy to eat bad. SO, one example...

I make Stir fry periodically. The last time i made it I took a pound of chicken breasts cubed, and threw it in a pan with about 4 lbs of frozen stir fry vegetables/brocoli/cauliflower. Once it cooks down and i divide my 7-8 portions out of it it computes to about 300-350 calories per portion - Without rice. Lateley i haven't been eating it with rice, just chicken and veggies. Lots of vegetables little chicken and cooked with spray instead of oil. Turns out to be quite filling. I generally add a 1/2 cup of 2% cottage cheese for a meal that is very filling (for me) but still under 500 calories.

I have been doing this with most of the recipes I make. Add vegetables. Seems to work for me.
  • katzblood
    Options
    My husband makes a mash of yellow veggies that keeps about a week-- turnips, parsnips, carrots, yams or sweet potatos, rutabaga, either boiled or steamed, then mashed with a little sour cream or butter & salt/pepper. It is super delish and quick to reheat in the microwave. Its got a ton of nutrients, some carbs, and is very filling.
  • Valkyriewoman
    Valkyriewoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I make veggie chili and freeze lunch portions and also veggie lasagna (eggplant in place of noodles). Makes for a quick reheat in the microwave and a satisfying veggie lunch.
  • GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, its time for me to try new things and step away from my comfort food!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Stir fries are great! Also roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, cauliflower (michael ruhlman has a GREAT recipe), onions. If you like bean soups or any soup really add in some sauteed spinach. Honest Fare has a lot of terrific recipes on line that are mostly vegetables, like Kale Potato mash-up. Maybe challenge yourself to try a new vegetable every week and get really good at making it!
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crymzen
    crymzen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I buy the bag of pre-cut broccoli, cauliflower and carrots and roast them as a quick and low cal side dish. Coat your veggies in a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt/pepper (I also like to experiment with lots of different spices) and cook in a 400 degree oven for 14 - 18 mins. It helps to turn the veggies half way through. You can also roast sweet potatoes, cubed squash, parsnips, beets, rutabagas or potatoes in the same way.