hello and good luck to everyone

Options
hi, i have been fighting this battle since about age 9, a couple of years ago i quit drinking reg mt dew and started drinking diet code red mt dew and diet mt dew, i have lost 90 lbs since then, i would like to lose 50 more, that would put me at 120 but i just seem to be stuck lately. i have been eating vegetarian for the last year but i think i am going to have to give that up to lose the rest of this because of the carbs. i have not lost anything since i started eating vegetarian, i eat a lot of soy products and i think maybe that is the problem. i want so bad to be thin again. good luck to everyone

Replies

• pookiecat
    Options
    hi, i have been fighting this battle since about age 9, a couple of years ago i quit drinking reg mt dew and started drinking diet code red mt dew and diet mt dew, i have lost 90 lbs since then, i would like to lose 50 more, that would put me at 120 but i just seem to be stuck lately. i have been eating vegetarian for the last year but i think i am going to have to give that up to lose the rest of this because of the carbs. i have not lost anything since i started eating vegetarian, i eat a lot of soy products and i think maybe that is the problem. i want so bad to be thin again. good luck to everyone
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i just read an article in a women's mag that said lay off soy and meats that are not organic. apparently there are hormones in just about everything and when women get those hormones it helps us gain weight. they recommended a lean diet, drinking 64 oz of water daily, fruits and vegetables and organic chicken and lean meats. they also recommended taking thistle from the health food store because it aids in what the liver does in the body.
  • robigirl33
    Options
    hi all just joined and this seems like a great site.
    good luck to all
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    That's Milk Thistle (for healthy liver support.)

It is tough to give up the soy, but I've come to the same conclusion. It is a good source of protein, but contains quite a lot of carbs and fat for a vegetable. Soy is a good food for women nearing or in menopause, it contains phyto-estrogens. It has helped me a lot with menopausal symtoms.

Pookiecat, there are many posts here regarding "weight plateaus" - read through the posts from the last month, and there will be a lot of info for you. If I see one again, I 'll try to post it again as a new subject.

cm
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks cmriverside...I didn't know that soy is good for women in menopause. That explains a lot.

Pookiecat, I understand the vegetarian thing and not losing weight. I use to eat meat...lost some weight, then went vegetarian thinking it would be better, but couldn't lose anymore. Then I changed back, but ate vegetarian twice a week and the weight started to come off again. Now I also really look at the labels, I found out that not only does vegetarian stuff contains a lot of carbs, but it's not necessary low fat, a lot of the items contain quite a bit of fat.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    The plateaus are the worst! The closer I got to my goal the more plateaus I would have and they started lasting longer and longer. The longest one was 6 weeks long. I was doing every thing right and I was losing NOTHING. I cried and cried but I didn’t give up. I kept on with my eating plan, added more exercise and I started losing again.
    Hang in there and don’t let the plateaus beat you or get you down. You will lose the weight and reach your goal.
    As for the soy….I gave that up because of my thyroid problems.
    Welcome Pookiecat and Good Luck!
    Loretta
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for three years and continually had weight problems - very carb loaded diet. ANd I felt that in the long run by body was a bit off balance. But I did really like the feeling of having a 'clean' body.

I am concerned about the meat I eat - for health, environment and animal lover reasons. Where I live in central MN we have a lot of organic and small buffalo farms. They treat their buffalo humanely, the meat is good, low in cholesterol and its organic. We go to the farm ourselves and can see the way they treat there animals.

I grew up in a hunting/fishing family in a rural ag area. So I learned to really try to keep an eye on where my food comes from and the closer to home the better.

I'm not saying to give up on the veggie thing, but if you do decide too there maybe some healthful and environmentally sound solutions.