Guys - Workout Gear

Options
Hey boys,

My boyfriend wants workout clothes for his birthday next month. Looking for recommendations on your favorite stuff. He runs and is starting a weight training program. His one major requirement is the bottoms must have pockets.

Ideas?

Replies

• danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to spend up to about $200.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what he has:

-Gloves with wristwraps
    -Straps
    -Weightlifting Belt

-Under Armor clothing is always good, a bit pricier but holds up very well
  • danibabs
    Options
    He doesn't have much. Mostly a couple pairs of sweatpants/shorts and white tshirts. He also recently bought resistance bands and a gym membership.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I just lift in a t-shirt and shorts or track pants...I don't know what "workout clothes" for me would consist of, lol.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I just lift in a t-shirt and shorts or track pants...I don't know what "workout clothes" for me would consist of, lol.

A shirt with a picture of a caveman on the front and a guy kipping on the back?

;)
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My guys uses Under Armor under his gym shorts w/pockets and a sleeveless T or UA shirt. He also lifts, says this is most comfortable.
    also: fingerless lifting gloves(a must)
    Lifting Belt - if he is doing serious weight

God help you buy socks!! Mine didn't wear socks the first couple weeks OMG!! Those shoes were not allowed in the house LOL
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    Shorts and a T-Shirt thats all he needs
  • btdublin
    btdublin Posts: 250 Member
    Options

-Gloves with wristwraps
    -Straps
    -Weightlifting Belt

I would suggest he needs none of these things!

You don't need to spend a fortune on work out clothes. Alot of people focus on buying kit and have "All the gear, but no idea!".

Good pair of trainers for a runner. If he is high performance then maybe he will want some under armour type clothing, wickaway tech shirt etc but really not worthwhile.

You can buy some 40lb home dumbell set for that money!! Prob better value if he prefers that to the gym (or addition to)
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    He's a runner too, so I'd suggest:

Compression shorts.
    Tech tees (dri-fit or something similar. wicking is what you want here)
    If he's an outdoor runner, a wind jacket is nice to have in the spring.
    Compression shorts.
    Really good wicking socks.
    Dri-fit or other wicking running shorts.
    Compression shorts.

All the running gear works great in the gym as well.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I like Nike and Under Armour brands for shorts, pants, and workout shirts.

For running:

I really like the Nike Dri-Fit running shirts. They are sweat whicking, don't cause your nipples to chaff like cotton T's can, and they are so much more breathable than a regular t-shirt. $20-25 a piece at any sports store

Good socks are important for runners. Again, Under Armour heatgear socks are among my favorites

I like to wear compression shorts when I run and exercise. Holds ya intact, no leg chaffing. Nike combat shorts.

Does he have a good pair of running shoes, fitted for him?
    Does he have a heart rate monitor?

All these things are great for working out...lots of present ideas....

If I was spending $200 I'd probably get at least 1 or 2 pairs of shorts at $25 a pair. 1 or 2 shirts at $25 a pair. A pair of compression shorts at $25 a pair. A pack of socks, 3 pair for $10, etc etc so that he has complete "outfits"
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    [I would suggest he needs none of these things!

You don't need to spend a fortune on work out clothes. Alot of people focus on buying kit and have "All the gear, but no idea!".

Great point. If you don't see a need for something. Don't get it. However, I know why I need compression shorts, tech-shirts, and weight lifting gloves. I also know why having multiple sets of them is nice.
  • stward9280
    Options
    Definitely go with the Nike dri-fit shirts. I own 5 or 6 of them and wear them on everything from 6 mile jogs to weight lifting to playing basketball.

Be careful picking out the shorts and make sure the length is good. You don't want him looking like he was time warped in from the 1970s.
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Be careful picking out the shorts and make sure the length is good. You don't want him looking like he was time warped in from the 1970s.

This. I thought I was being a great wife and ordered my husband a pair of shorts for Christmas and he thinks they're too short. Of course, then he turns around and says "I should get some running shorts... they're shorter, but they're good." I can't win! haha

Another time, I took him regular clothes-shopping, which worked out really well, since I let him pick exactly what he wanted then I paid for them. Might work if you go to a running/sporting goods store.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    For running - I got a pair of Nike Tempo Two-in-One shorts. They are now my favorite running shorts.
    Keeps the boys where they need to be and allow you to move freely.
  • danibabs
    Options
    Awesome input everyone!

I talked him into letting me get him new running shoes. He's had his forever and I'm going to get some for myself next week anyways.

I think I'm gonna go with an Under Armour fleece hoodie, a pair of the Nike Two in Ones, a Nike Dri Fit tshirt, and an UA sleeveless shirt, in addition to the running shoes.

Thanks again guys! You are the best :)
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options

-Gloves with wristwraps
    -Straps
    -Weightlifting Belt

nooooooo

no gloves, no straps and ABSOLUTELY no belt...
    man up