Insanity: calories burned

Options
Hi - just wondering if anyone else can relate....

Started Insanity 3 weeks ago. I'm still on week 1 but that's only because I wanted to get accustomed to waking up at 4:30am to squeeze it into schedule; plus, I wanted to take my time in getting the proper form down and avoid injuries. Looks like all systems are-a-go and hope to keep up with rest of 60 day program from here on out.

Anyway, according to my HRM, I burn, on avg, between 320 and 380 calories per session. For some reason, I thought I was going to blast through 400 to 600 calories. Perhaps it was just my wishful thinking. These past two days is the first time I'm able to keep up a little longer with routine but I still won't burn more than 400. Granted, I'm a little on the thick side and get a litte winded with all the jumping and plyometric drills (KILLER!) so I have to stop every now and then. I know once I get better I'll burn more calories and I'm perfectly happy burning that amount but I just hope my HRM isn't a defect.

What's your avg calorie burn with Insanity (week 1)?

Thanks!!

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Your numbers don't sound bad or low. It is only about a 45 minute workout. Are you using a HRM with a chest strap? They tend to be a bit more accurate.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I just looked at my first week, and here is what my numbers were:

Plyo Cardio Circuit - 416 (42 mins)
    Cardio Power & Resistance - 390 (40 mins)
    Cardio Recovery - 189 (33 mins)
    Pure Cardio - 384 (38 mins)
    Plyo Cardio Circuit - 427 (42 mins)
  • ahni77
    ahni77 Posts: 75
    Options
    HRM. check. Chest Strap. check. failed to mention I have a polar ft60. It's a super cool watch/hrm as long as it's working properly. right? Thanks for the feedback
  • ahni77
    Options
    HRM. check. Chest Strap. check. failed to mention I have a polar ft60. It's a super cool watch/hrm as long as it's working properly. right? Thanks for the feedback

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I just have to dig a bit deeper :smile: will put a little more effort in tomorrow's pure cardio to see if there's a change.
  • ahni77
    Options

oops - quoted wrong one. Thanks again for sharing
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options

Thank you so much!! I am starting Insanity on the 12th and was curious as well.
  • MiaTish
    Options
    Ooh gurls...that Insanity! Did it for two weeks and was cussing out Shawn T before the video even started. I had too much weight to be doing all that jumping. When I lose a lot more, I'll jump back in the saddle. Best wishes to you :)
  • MalDunc2012
    MalDunc2012 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been burning between 440 to 475 for week 1.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I burn 325-375 with Insanity usually for the first month workouts :)
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    Keep in mind a couple of factors:

1. your overall energy that you put int the workout. I can do the same workout and see lower results (and usually when Im doggin in...Sean is tough and its hard to keep pace on occassion...no doubt)

2.The type of workout. for example - I average 700 calories when doing Insanity for 40 minutes, but when I do Max Interval Circuit I can burn upwards of 1000+ (mind you I'm 6'1")

It all depends on how much muscle you use and how much blood you pump through your heart. Use the HRM to keep yourself safe, but use it to work and push yourself into the Max range to get max results. Dont just look at it and say "oh thats nice".....go get it!
  • ahni77
    Options
    Keep in mind a couple of factors:

1. your overall energy that you put int the workout. I can do the same workout and see lower results (and usually when Im doggin in...Sean is tough and its hard to keep pace on occassion...no doubt)

2.The type of workout. for example - I average 700 calories when doing Insanity for 40 minutes, but when I do Max Interval Circuit I can burn upwards of 1000+ (mind you I'm 6'1")

It all depends on how much muscle you use and how much blood you pump through your heart. Use the HRM to keep yourself safe, but use it to work and push yourself into the Max range to get max results. Dont just look at it and say "oh thats nice".....go get it!

Will definitely think back to this post for tomorrow morning's workout. Thanks a lot!!
  • kelipso7
    Options
    By max range you mean if I'm 34 I should be going for 140 to 160? I'm 5ft small bones 110lbs. I get depressed when it says 290 I feel like i worked harder. last week I was looking at my heart rate monitor going "um ok" and trying to get my heart rate as high as I could and "Dig deeper." last week I was 270 calories with my heart rate monitor 144 to 180. My muscles were omg sore too. II'm trying to keep my heart rate below 160 this week to see If I lose inches.

I am also doing to 40% 40% and 20% diet like it says in the book. I have been dieting for about 48 days now and still haven't lost any inches. Thats why I got Insanity. This is the first day of my second week. Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks so much.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Same story here. I am 5" tall as well and around 100lbs. Ist week of Insanity and can only get 270 to 300 calorie burn. My max heart rate peaks at 174 and goes as low as 140bpm. Was disappointed as I push myself as hard as I can expecting at least 400 to 500# on my HRM:-( To make up I generally go for a 2 mile run.......not sure how productive it is.
  • amdst6
    amdst6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found this website http://www.mapmyrun.com/tools/calculators that actually calculates the calories burned per video (first calculator that I found that tells you for specific workout videos). Do you guys think this is accurate? I feel like it is a little high, but maybe I'm just being pessimistic.
  • Mels707
    Mels707 Posts: 101
    Options
    The smaller you are, the fewer calories you will burn.

I am 5'3" and 160, 33 yo, and I burned 400-450 during month one workouts. At 100 lbs, I would expect to be much lower than that.

Max hr range---don't "limit" yourself to a certain heart rate. First of all, it's unlikely you know your maximum (the 220-age is not very accurate). You should push as hard as you can, provided your heart rate is going down during recovery. If you get up to 180 (like me), I would make sure you recover into the 150's or so before moving on. Push pause if necessary. But if I tried to keep my hr at 160 I'd barely be doing anything.