Do you have a day off?

Options
Hi guys, I just wondered if anyone has a day off from your healthy eating in the week where you have an evening meal such as pizza, takeaway etc ? A friend of mine is on weight watchers and has her day off after her weigh in once a week.
I will normally have a meal on a saturday night which is shall we say unhealthy! but throughout the rest of the week I do exercise and don't eat anything fatty at all!
Plus I am seeing some weigh loss results aswell after joining MFP :happy:

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I just wondered if anyone has a day off from your healthy eating in the week where you have an evening meal such as pizza, takeaway etc ? A friend of mine is on weight watchers and has her day off after her weigh in once a week.
    I will normally have a meal on a saturday night which is shall we say unhealthy! but throughout the rest of the week I do exercise and don't eat anything fatty at all!
    Plus I am seeing some weigh loss results aswell after joining MFP :happy:
    There is no such thing as a day off. A successful meal plan would incorporate all foods, not shun them.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I don't feel the need to have a day off because I no longer crave most of the foods I used, but usually on Fridays after a long week at work I buy a mini bag of chips and a latte and watch a movie and I feel staisfied with that and it's all I need
  • lilfurson
    Options
    Since I've decided to add back in my exercise calories I have greater room to add things in that might be a bit higher calorie. I was making pizza friday nights but recently have been making other things. In the end it comes down to making sure I keep track of the calories I put into the meals so I can continue to track.

I know lots of people do cheat days / spike days. It all comes down to what works for you.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't "take a day off" because that implies that I'm on a diet and I'm not. I'm changing my lifestyle. I eat what I want, when I want to eat it. I eat it in moderation. When I was logging my food, I would log it in my food diary and move on. To me "cheat days" or "cheat meals" are just too diet-ish. If I want something, I want it now.. not for a specific meal or on a specific day.
  • MissJamiie
    MissJamiie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have what I call my cheat day normally on fridays or saturdays that I dont count my calories...but for some they just have one cheat meal per week ;) witch I think is a good way to go! :)
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Instead of a day off, I just budget each day's meals to make sure I'm not over my original count, and then I don't eat back my exercise. I find if I limit myself and don't allow myself any of the "junk" foods, that I end up splurging anyway, feeling like crap, and quitting. Don't shun the "unhealthy" food, just budget your day for it.
  • BrendaPow
    BrendaPow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have read that a whole day off is difficult to make up. It is recommended that a splurge during one meal is better. I have been on Weight Watchers and it really doesn't give people a day off. It allows people to save up their points and use them all on one meal. So if you have 20 points a day and you only eat 15 points worth for 4 days, you have 20 extra points to use on day 5. So it really isn't a day off, you still have to watch yor intake carefully.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I usually have a day once a week where I will eat anything I want for dinner and not worry about the calorie content. I don't log it either, just simply enjoy. Been on here since Jan 2nd and as you can see, it hasn't done me any harm.

For the next few weeks though I will be making sure I log everything, I had a friend here for five days and stopped logging because it was depressing. Lol. She went back on Sunday evening so I am back to logging absolutely everything.

A lot of people have 'spike' days and claim it works brilliant for them. Try it, if it works brilliant, if it doesn't then you know not too do it.
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    I try to log everything, even (especially) when I'm over. A couple times a month I take my kids out to dinner, and don't worry too much about being over my goal. I think it's good to indulge occasionally.
  • ladyluly
    Options
    I don't have a cheat DAY off but definitely a cheat meal. I dont regularly eat things like pizza and fried foods so although I'm not on a "diet" per say I do kind of think of it as a "cheat period" lol :D
  • SophieC19
    SophieC19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I should have reworded my question properly! I did mean have a meal off not the whole day, if I know Ive got a meal to go out to for someones birthday etc I will eat healthy during the day and then just have the meal
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I do have a cheat day, but I have found that the last couple of weeks, I am not able to eat as much and am actually staying close to calorie goals. However, fat and carb goals are usually blown away. I do log my food on cheat days. So I guess it's not really cheating!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I should have reworded my question properly! I did mean have a meal off not the whole day, if I know Ive got a meal to go out to for someones birthday etc I will eat healthy during the day and then just have the meal

In that case thats exactly what I do...limit myself all day than eat my special food at night
  • CoachCrystalJ
    CoachCrystalJ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I sadly do not have the self control to take a day off. I tried to take a day off and it lasted two weeks. I didn't gain anything back, but I didn't loose anything either. All I did was stop my progress. I think I was lucky. I just started logging everything in again on Monday. I still eat those things that a re a bit high in calorie, but I make up for it with lower cal options in my meal plan to stay within my budget. So, no more days off for me. I need to reach my goal by October.
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm going out for Mexican tonight with some friends and I intend to have sangria and a full meal! However, I'm ate very sensibly for breakfast and lunch, and I'm going to body step class after work, AND I'm going for a little run after that. So I wouldn't say I'm planning to "cheat"... just doing my best to earn those calories before I spend them. Then I don't have to feel guilty for splurging.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I don't ever plan to take a day off, but we're stationed in Italy and maybe once a week I go into town and get some pizza, but I don't think I go over in my calories (it's hard to tell because they don't have nutritional info available)