Let me tell you a story...

Options
Chalk this up to anecdotal evidence about the benefits of weight lifting.

First- my time line is a little screwed up in my head, so I might have some specifics wrong, but it's a story and not scientific evidence, so it's all good.

Now here we go.

Once upon a time, like three months ago, I decided to start lifting. I kinda dabbled with it and didn't get serious until January. Sometime mid January, I went to the doctor because I'd been having these scary dizzy spells. We did tests and the only thing that came up was that I had borderline high blood pressure. I was very sad about that. It wasn't so high that I was in mortal danger and it wasn't high enough that I needed meds... but it wasn't where I wanted it to be.

Sooooo... doctor said "start tracking it" and being a good girl, I did.

Now... after a month and a half of being serious about weight lifting, my blood pressure is now around 115/72 (as opposed to 138/92). And interestingly enough, my resting pulse has changed from 88 to 66. Just in a month.

Now... I imagine a LOT of this has to do with weight lifting being a fabulous form of stress relief for me. Probably that's the hugest factor (yes, hugest factor is a scientific term). And it's a pretty decent "anti-depressant" for me too.

But I'm still happy and surprised. I naively thought only cardio dropped your resting pulse and helped blood pressure.

Oh.... and I should add... my weight hasn't changed. Not really. I lose 2 lbs. I gain it back. I'm stuck forever at 188. So it's not the weight loss.

I'm working on the "she lived happily ever after" part. So I'll just say "the end" for now.

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting definitively effects my resting heart rate. If I'm lifting heavy regularly it will stay between 40-50bpm
    If I stop for a extended period of time it'll start climbing up into the 80's

But it does not seem to effect my blood pressure :( I would like to see my blood pressure lower as well
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Great story!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • RainAndPain
    Options
    Way to go, keep it up!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That's great! I need to get more into weight lifting... I am more of a cardio kinda girl.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Great story and attitude. The most important factor is to improve health and that's exactly what you've done! Kudos to you, kiddo!!!:flowerforyou:
  • lrgammage
    lrgammage Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm doing both cardio and some strength training........this really encourages me to increase the lifting part of my workout! Great story!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    thats pretty cool. Not sure why so many women dont like to lift weights. Its the perfect antidote for stress and sexyness...
  • auntcarolthomas
    Options
    i do a body pump class by Les mills were u use the weights i enjoy it so much ,, keep up the good work and keep the blood pressure down
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Great anecdote! Someone should conduct a study...funding, anyone? ;-) Light lifting (a la p90x) over the last week- just a few days, mind you- has done nothing but make me sore and retain water until today, so this is a great motivator to stick with the program. :happy: