Elliptical issues...

Options
I have been using the Elliptical as one of my workout options for the last 2 months. Before this I had never touched one...Sooo I'm wondering how accurate are the Calorie workouts such as I set myself for the 500 calorie workout and can do it in 36minutes pretty much every time. But when i go run for almost 3 miles up hills in the cold etc..my app for cals on my ipod nano is saying i only burn close to 300 cals...and i get it done in about 35-40 minutes. ALSO anyone have any info on why my feet get numb and tingly on elliptical...i work through it but still makes me crazy...goes away as soon as i get off. Any tips or advice welcome!...and friends as well looking for MFP pals too :)

Replies

• MistyboBisty
    Options
    I use mine almost every day. My feet also go numb after awhile, which I've read is due to them being in basically the same postion the entire time. When it becomes enough to bother me, I try to change their position on the foot pads and change the way I put my weight on them for a min. or two...honestly that doesn't always help though, and I just keep going. I think as far as the calories burned go, no machine can really tell you exactly what you've done, more of just an estimate, and though this is just a total guess on my part, if you are using a resistance program, you'll burn more than walking/running due to the added effort. Sorry, not an overly helpful response, I know. I do love my elliptical though.
  • sarahgloria115
    Options
    i appreciate any input so thank you. I do try to lift my feet and do other crazy moves that I'm glad no one can see to make the numb stop lol,but i guess i can handle it. I figured the resistance was where the extra calorie burn would play in. Was hoping someone could say which seemed more accurate or if it was on point.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    it depends on the elliptical settings (incline? etc) as well as how hard you are working. i would get a HR monitor that is the only way to tell how much you are really burning
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The machines are not accurate and go by your weight you input + intensity via HR. If you want accuracy I suggest getting a HRM.

Feet going numb? Many people get this and it is due to poor circulation in your lower extremities (feet falling asleep). The lower the incline the more your knees will lock and after long a duration your foot goes "night night".Try rocking your feet down with your heels lifted kind of like the "heel toe" motion. This should help with blood flow. Another tip is to go in reverse motion.

PS: are you flatfooted?
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    They really aren't too accurate. I was once told that they are calibrated for a male between 35-45, of average height So if you enter your weight it calibrates with those paramters.

I am getting a HRM, using those settings will be more accurate.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My feet always to get tingly too, seems to be a issue for many people. As for calories burned, you really need an HRM to get an accurate reading but I too seem to burn more on an elliptical than I do on a treadmill.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I read an article, that I can't find now, about 2 weeks ago that said that elliptical calorie reads can be as much as 47% too high. Of the machines reviewed, it was the one that read to least accurately. The stationary bike was closest at 7% too high. The treadmill was somewhere in the middle. I don't know if it is supposed to be less accurate for some folks than others, but I know that I work much harder for a calorie on the stationary bike as I do on the elliptical, so I work with the assumption that the 47% is about right for me.

Shannon
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The best way to find out your burn is to get a heart rate monitor. This morning I did the elliptical for 30 minutes and burned 267, myfitnesspal calculated that calorie burn at 455. As someone who is tracking calories in and out, it's the best money I've spent. I got a Polar FT10. Ebay had an awesome deal.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I read an article, that I can't find now, about 2 weeks ago that said that elliptical calorie reads can be as much as 47% too high. Of the machines reviewed, it was the one that read to least accurately. The stationary bike was closest at 7% too high. The treadmill was somewhere in the middle. I don't know if it is supposed to be less accurate for some folks than others, but I know that I work much harder for a calorie on the stationary bike as I do on the elliptical, so I work with the assumption that the 47% is about right for me.

Shannon

^^ This is somewhat accurate.. however you work harder on a bike as opposed to the elliptical because the bike you are only using your lower body. the elliptical you engaging your upper and lower body which burns more calories. my elliptical at home actually way under guessed my calories.. but i know that is uncommon and it was a very very VERY cheap machine lol but it works my body and i have my own HRM (polar ft4 which is awesome btw and was under 50)
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My eliptical was only about 10 cal off either way (I must have gotten lucky :wink: ) but I wouild have never known that without a HR Monitor- so I am agreeing best money spent...get a HRMonitor.
    Oh and feet tingle too- just wiggle toes or change foot postion it will go away for a bit!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Shannon

^^ This is somewhat accurate.. however you work harder on a bike as opposed to the elliptical because the bike you are only using your lower body. the elliptical you engaging your upper and lower body which burns more calories. my elliptical at home actually way under guessed my calories.. but i know that is uncommon and it was a very very VERY cheap machine lol but it works my body and i have my own HRM (polar ft4 which is awesome btw and was under 50)

I have a Polar FT4 also and I find that every time I'm on the elliptical it underestimates mine, too. By around 100 cals! That's a huge difference. MFP's estimates were definitely off about my running, too. I would recommend a HRM, I never workout without mine now!

Also, my feet did that on the elliptical too so I got new shoes and I haven't had a problem since.
  • sarahgloria115
    Options
    thanks for all the input everyone. looking into a hrm right now.:)
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The machine usually says I burn about 100 calories more then what my HRM says.