Minimalist/Barefoot Running?

Options
2»

Replies

• Couldn't find any decent shoes. The only minimalist shoes I found were Fila Skeletoes. They really looked kinda shoddy. They felt less like a minimalist trainer that would strengthen your feet and provide comfort and stability, and more like, "Hey kids, here are some of those funky toe shoes that all the cool kids are wearing!"
  • I knew that someday a sexy hobbit would be discovered! :p
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Now I want those too...After growing up in sunny south Africa where everbody walked barefoot all the time,( in elementary school, with uniforms and all, wearing shoes in summer was a choice!) and did PE barefoot, it should not be too hard!
  • alexa_ann
    alexa_ann Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Started training for a 5k about 3 weeks ago. Im completely new to running and loved the idea of minimalist/Barefoot running, however I have just recovered from a serious knee injury, so I was a bit apprehensive. I bought myself some Nike Free + 2s and I loooooove them. I bit more cushioned than some of the minimalist shoes, but i really adore them! Good luck on your running adventures!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I have always had "weak" ankles... I run in the minimus NBs and another very lightweight, almost minumus NB pair - I find it's strengthened my ankles significantly - not turning them all the time just walking like I used to. It's much more comfortable for me the less shoe I have. My feet are almost flat and I very slightly overpronate so I always thought more cushion and support was what I needed but for me the opposite is true. Next I'll try the 5 fingers...
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks minimalist running shoes and I love them. I have tried on the Vibrams but have a hard time with the toes so I decided against them at least for now. I used to run 5k races and I had a really hard time with traditional running shoes. I have flat feet and they kept trying to get me into shoes with tons of extra support. They were so bulky and uncomfortable I started avoiding my runs. My feet and ankles are in so much better shape than they were because I have really worked to strengthen them. I agree to start out slowly and to find a shoe store that will fit you to them and let you try on a bunch of different brands. Where I go if I don't like them for any reason within 30 days I can return them and try something else.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Love my VFF Komodo's. I've only run on the treadmill with them, as it's been cold and wet here since I've gotten them in December, but I love everything about them....
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks minimalist running shoes and I love them. I have tried on the Vibrams but have a hard time with the toes so I decided against them at least for now. I used to run 5k races and I had a really hard time with traditional running shoes. I have flat feet and they kept trying to get me into shoes with tons of extra support. They were so bulky and uncomfortable I started avoiding my runs. My feet and ankles are in so much better shape than they were because I have really worked to strengthen them. I agree to start out slowly and to find a shoe store that will fit you to them and let you try on a bunch of different brands. Where I go if I don't like them for any reason within 30 days I can return them and try something else.

One thing I'd like to mention about Brooks. I use to work at a shoe store and sold hundreds and hundreds of different types of sneakers in including different types of Brooks. I'd say 90% of the things people returned that I sold to them were Brooks. Staff use to try and convince customers not to buy brooks but many people still bought them and the rest of the staff had the same problem with returns. It was a running joke and people would laugh at you over the head set as soon as you were brought over to the brooks wall. If you want something for short term, then great. Dad loves brooks and wears them until there's holes in them everywhere because they're usually cheaper and he doesn't generally walk anywhere.
  • wilberfamily
    wilberfamily Posts: 111 Member
    Options

One thing I'd like to mention about Brooks. I use to work at a shoe store and sold hundreds and hundreds of different types of sneakers in including different types of Brooks. I'd say 90% of the things people returned that I sold to them were Brooks. Staff use to try and convince customers not to buy brooks but many people still bought them and the rest of the staff had the same problem with returns. It was a running joke and people would laugh at you over the head set as soon as you were brought over to the brooks wall. If you want something for short term, then great. Dad loves brooks and wears them until there's holes in them everywhere because they're usually cheaper and he doesn't generally walk anywhere.

They maybe cheaper but they hold up well for me. I'm not really hard on my shoes and in the winter I tend to run on the treadmill so that might help them last too. For me if they wear out faster it is okay as long as I'm comfortable and wearing them. The pair I had before them had me giving up running. I think it is all up to the user. Wear what works for you. I have almost a reverse arch so I have a really hard time finding something that works for me. These were perfect - for me.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Couldn't find any decent shoes. The only minimalist shoes I found were Fila Skeletoes. They really looked kinda shoddy. They felt less like a minimalist trainer that would strengthen your feet and provide comfort and stability, and more like, "Hey kids, here are some of those funky toe shoes that all the cool kids are wearing!"

Well I'm 39 so not a cool kid. I run about 20 mpw in mine.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    The vibrams remind me of gorilla feet when viewed from the bottom.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    A great place to get fivefingers is REI. If you don't have one near you their website is great. REI.com. Great return policy if they don't fit. Another website that has a great variety of styles and colors is travelcountry.com. Great customer service there also. I strongly suggest trying them on first to get the right size. I tried the online sizing chart, but evidently I didn't do it right. I would have bought the wrong size. I'm lucky to have several REI stores nearby, but not everyone does.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mrfunnyjokes
    Options
    If you are a new runner, I would suggest going to a running store that sells both regular and minimalist shoes. Talk to them about what your running goals are and be honest about being new to the sport. A good store will welcome the chance to earn a satisfied new customer and will spend time going over the pros and cons of different type shoes. Some stores even have treadmills set up. If you feel like you are being brushed off or fast talked into a pair of shoes get out! Running can be a lifetime of pleasure but not if you start with a painful/bad experience.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    They maybe cheaper but they hold up well for me. I'm not really hard on my shoes and in the winter I tend to run on the treadmill so that might help them last too. For me if they wear out faster it is okay as long as I'm comfortable and wearing them. The pair I had before them had me giving up running. I think it is all up to the user. Wear what works for you. I have almost a reverse arch so I have a really hard time finding something that works for me. These were perfect - for me.

Absolutely, they were perfect for my dad too. One thing to note if you have problem feet a lot of people will recmomend acics. I didn't realize what the big deal was at first until I bought a pair. If you have wide, narrow, flat, high, whatever kind of feed a lot of different kinds of people have told me they swear by them. Staff and customers. I started out trying to pull 20 hour shifts standing in nikes and adidas and it just didn't cut it. These are amazing little things. The only person who I've ever heard complain about them is me. 'Cause they're ugly :P (yet I love my hobbit shoes lol)
  • stevensashen
    Options
    a) I've spent the last 2 years in Invisble Shoes huarache sandals. And that includes 2 Colorado winters. (www.invisibleshoe.com). They're only $25-30 and have a 5,000 mile warranty.

b) You have got to see these videos:

*kitten* Barefoot Runners Say - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdb7ZDJKS4

and the followup, *kitten* Runners Say To Barefoot Runners - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erorsuyJKiQ
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    My local running store put me in a pair of Newton mid-strikes and I LOVE them. They force you to land more flat footed instead of on the heel. I understand they also work as a transition from a structured shoe to a really minimalist one.
  • "Oh I thought you meant BEAR foot. ARRRR!" Too funny!
  • pdlasky
    pdlasky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought my Vibrams last August and LOVE them! My feet roll in and I've worn arch supports since I was a kid. I really got into running a year ago but was constantly getting hurt - back, calves, feet. It got to the point where I'd finish my run and not be able to move for the next 30 minutes. It was either give up running completely or give the Vibrams a try. I was nervous because I've had a 2 yr fight with plantar fasciitis in the past & the podiatrist had told me to never walk around w/ barefeet or without supportive shoes so I didn't think they would really work for my feet.

I went to EMS and had them fit me and help me select the right pair for my activities. Please do some research about transitioning to them before your first run. I was told to run for 5 minutes, or 1/10th of my normal run, max. And, they suggested running on a soccer field or other soft surface in the beginning. So, the first day I only ran 0.25 mile on a field and stopped - which was very hard to do because it felt great! I took a day off and then repeated. The third day out I moved up to 0.5 miles. It took over 3 months for me to get back up to the 3 miles that I was doing over the summer. You'll work out muscles that haven't been used since you were a kid so you really want to take it slow.

Since moving to the Vibrams, I have not had ANY injuries! My feet & legs feel wonderful! I'm enjoying running so much more now. I'm doing over 4 miles now and I'm running in 30 degree weather! I NEVER would have imagined that I'd ever enjoy running this much! If you haven't already done so, read Born to Run. That book helped me understand the benefits of minimalist shoes for running and also helped me to find the joy in running.

Good Luck!