Heathy Snacks For Midnight Shift

Options
For the next two weeks my job has gave me shift change notices to work the midnight shift.. I don't ever work the midnight shift (as long as I can help it) I was looking for healthy snacks or light meal ideas that I could prepare before work.. We have access to a full kitchen so I can make just about everything or anything.. Don't want to make anything to entailed just something quick and filling.. My problem is I think I would do a lot of snacking to just try to stay away so any suggestions would be appreciated! I was thinking cereal, bananas and oatmeal?

Replies

• sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i work one night a week its rough i take a protein shake and some kind of smart one or something like that if i want something warm i always have my 96 fat free popcorn with me but i dont usually need it. I also found some turkey jerky that was really good. I dont have trouble with cals but as you can see i do usually go over on my sodium that night..
  • e_stone
    e_stone Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I can't bring any microwave popcorn.. That was my first thought!! Low cal and filling but someone set the fire alarms off making popcorn and since our alarms are directly connected to the fire department they weren't very impressed coming out for burnt popcorn in the middle of the night so the company sent out a memo saying no more microwave popcorn allowed! One person always ruins it for the rest!!
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hmm could you pop it at home and put it in a bag i wonder?? not sure it might get rubbery and gross but the stuff in the can stays good so maybe it would??
  • e_stone
    Options
    I can try it. I will just bring a back up if it's nasty! Lol thanks for the ideas! I will try the protein shakes as well. Could always use the extra protein as I really don't eat as much as I should anyway! I will have to pack an actual meal also I'm sure. This will def be a change for me. I'm sure it will get easier as I go. I hope!
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    String cheese, fruit, turkey jerkey, greek yogurt (if you have a fridge available), hard boiled eggs? What kind of snacks would you normally bring to work?
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I work nights. i bring oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, hardboiled eggs, egg salad. i always bring an all bran bar as the fiber helps keep me full.
  • e_stone
    Options
    We have a fridge at work. I usually bring blueberries and bananas for snacks. But I eat meals there and I'm not as bored that's what I'm most concerned about is boredom snacking! And there are tons of high fat high calorie foods available there. So I want to preplan but I can't eat anything really heavy during the night!
  • wagner78
    wagner78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I make my popcorn the night before and bring it to work in a ziploc bag alot of the times. I pop it at night, put it in a bowl and spray it with some butter flavored cooking spray (like Pam) and then season it. Very yummy. I used the popcorn seasonings but I have also tried a little garlic powder or salt and a little parmesan cheese and that's good too!
  • akadrea
    akadrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Snacks....protein bars, cottage cheese with fruit, apples and peanut butter, greek yogurt, cheese sticks
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I used to bring a cup or two fo cottage cheese to work, with some splenda and cinnamon, sometimes nuts and raisins in it, and enjoyed that.

Right now I bring smoothies to work in the evening, usually blend half a dozen things into it, and it'll last me the entire shift.

A few years back I used to bake protein bars/cookies and take one or two with me when I was out for the day. I'd make a big batch once a month and freeze em all, and pull them out the night before.

When travelling, I snag some protein bars from walmart, they have a low-sugar one for like $0.97, so i grab half a dozen. Very reasonable nutrition and fairly low-cal.

I don't really eat very much, and am not very picky.
  • e_stone
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!! I'm almost done my shift and was barely hungry all night. Had cereal and a breakfast thin. Thought I would have done a lot more snacking than I did! Glad I didn't! Lol
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    For the next two weeks my job has gave me shift change notices to work the midnight shift.. I don't ever work the midnight shift (as long as I can help it) I was looking for healthy snacks or light meal ideas that I could prepare before work.. We have access to a full kitchen so I can make just about everything or anything.. Don't want to make anything to entailed just something quick and filling.. My problem is I think I would do a lot of snacking to just try to stay away so any suggestions would be appreciated! I was thinking cereal, bananas and oatmeal?
    when you say midnight what times are you talking?

I work all night and treat my meals just as I would working a day shift...
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • e_stone
    Options
    when you say midnight what times are you talking?

I work all night and treat my meals just as I would working a day shift...

The shift is 10pm-6am. Some days I will have to do doubles so it will be 2pm-6am. I laid down before I went in last night but only slept for a 1/2 hour and I live an hour from work and only slept two hours when I got home. So I ate my "breakfast" at 2 am and nothing else for the rest of the shift. But only sleeping two hours during the day when I got home is making it really hard to stretch my calories out for lunch and dinner and snacks. Starving!
  • charlene_1980
    Options
    I almost always pop my popcorn in advance... Mind you, I also thoroughly enjoy left over movie theatre popcorn, a day or two later, even more so than when it's fresh lol