Sugar - fruits & veggies

Options
So I'm a little concerned because, according to MFP I seem to go over on my sugar intake every single day! I don't really eat anything I deem unhealthy so all the sugar comes from fruits (e.g., peaches, apples, strawberries and blueberries) and maybe oatmeal and stuff like that. Any insights?! I'm worried.

P.S I am losing weight, between 1.5 - 2 lbs per week (and now starting on my 2nd month) but still don't know if I should be concerned

Thanks in advance!

15552395.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I just read yesterday that you don't need to worry about the natural sugars coming from fruits and veggies. I was always worried about it too but today I ate all the fruit I wanted!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I try to watch my sugar intake.... And when I do eat sugar, I always try to balance out my sugar intake with protein & fiber.

at least your sugar is coming from natural sources for the most part, so that's good. I don't eat a ton of fruits, but I do eat a lot of veggies which also have sugars in them, but I'm always Under on my sugar for the day.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    If you don't have diabetes or some other metabolic disorder, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bstoetzer
    Options
    Same here...I'm almost always over on my sugar which usually comes from fruits.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i just recently started paying attention to my sugar intake and after having a bowl of blueberries for breakfast which wiped out my sugar goals for the day i have decided that i am ignoring paying attention to my sugar intake from plant source and am only going to worry about the refined sugars...
  • fourthewebbs
    fourthewebbs Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As long as you are loosing weight you are ok. The sugar monitor is there if you need it but I think the design is for individuals with diebetes and individuals trying to gain weight. Keep up the good work.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind MFP sugar count is WAY OFF. I'm fairly certain they're trying to count added sugar, which most sources will recommend you exceed no more than 40g a day. However, I've yet to find a limit on natural sugars found in fruit, milk, etc unless you're diabetic or pre-diabetic.

I try to keep my sugar count under 100g a day (even though MFP give me like 30g). As long as the majority of those sugars are coming from natural sources, I don't worry about it too much.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    if your losing you shouldn't be worried :P
  • MrsWife2011
    MrsWife2011 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do too! I don't think it is a problem if it comes from fruit or veggies. The only exception would be fruit juice I think too much fruit juice is bad unless you are juicing at home with mostly veggies and some fruit.

I have read that everything in a whole fruit or veggie contains everything your body needs to digest it.

Once you start to alter the fruit or the veggie (i.e. corn syrup) it changes how your body digests it.

For example your body needs vitamins to digest sugar, a apple has all the vitamins needed in it to digest the sugars in the apple. If you just eat sugary man made food like candy with no vitamins your body will need to take vitamins away from your reserves to digest it. Hopefully this demonstrates how eating too much added sugar is bad.

Note: this is something I have heard/read I do not have any research to back this statement, this is another persons theory, just makes good sense to me.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've recently started tracking sugar again, and just 1/2 pc. of fruit with yogurt pretty much puts me at my limit once I add in all of the veggies and things. I'm counting all sugars. If I eat a granola bar or piece of candy it triggers cravings that are very difficult to deal with. For me, sugar is sugar, naturally occuring or processed. Sugar causes us to store fat. I've been doing lots of reading on the subject, it's all very interesting. Good luck!