High protein meatless options for Lent?

Options
Allegi32
Allegi32 Posts: 302 Member
For Ash Wednesday and then every Friday during Lent, we don't eat meat. But I don't want to load up on carbs those days....today I had a rice/bean burrito, which was good, but for dinner I have to feed a picky hubby who's very meat and potatoes-like, so nothing too crazy.

Any ideas?

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and cheese when I need protein but don't want meat. There are also vegetarian meatless options (like morningstar and boca brand items) if you want something 'meat-like' that's not really meat. I like their veggie burgers and the 'meatless' crumbles that they make to replace ground beef in lasagna. The texture is a bit different but it's great in the lasagna since there's sauce and cheese in there with it.
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    My husband is the same way.Id recommend chilli with textured vegetable protein (TVP) or Morningstar/or gardien beef substitute.TVP comes dried in a bag in the health section.Gardein also has yummy chicken substitute.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Beans are great for protein. But if you're looking for a meat substitute to satisfy your husband, try portobello mushroom steaks, or eggplant Parmesan. They're not exactly the same, but can get pretty close. Also, don't forget eggs!
  • sherry155
    Options
    Do you like fish? any fish broiled baked or grilled, sometimes i put it in saute pan with a can of rotel tomatoes with chilis yumm.
    We also do grilled cheese with cucumbers or tomato slices and soup