Negativity

Options
So I'm 5'1" and 120lbs, far from over weight but like everyone I have imperfections I would like to fix such as the dreaded "pregnancy pooch". I hate being asked if I want something to eat (cake, cookies, chips, pizza) and I say no thanks I'm trying to watch what I'm eating and then I get the your skinny as a rail why would you worry about what your eating? Well for one I'm not skinny as a rail and never will be, and don't want to be but I do want a flat stomach and more muscle tone, I want to look in the mirror and say damn. Why can't people just except that I'm trying to better myself and that dieting and exercise is what I need to do to achieve this. Does anyone experience this and how do you handle it? Do you just let it go and keep going or does it bother you too?

Replies

• mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I get that 'just have one, it won't hurt your diet'... but I stay strong (mostly)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My wife has started telling me that I look skinny!

Can't say it bothers me as I used to make the "Fat *kitten*" character look skinny! :-)

My advice, for what it's worth, is: Don't let it bother you.

If you feel the need to respond. Change it up a little. Tell the person that you are in training and that the food they are offering does not fit your regime.

Note: I would say that most people have some insecurities about their physical appearance and fitness. The responses you are getting are probably more about that fact that you are taking action and they are not. Rather than any real comment on who you are and what you are doing. Does not make it any better or easier, just a sayin'

Best of luck on your journey!
  • cookieta76
    cookieta76 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem. I am not considered to be overweight, either. The clothes didn't fit anymore and I was slowly creeping up in pounds. So I decided finally, to change. I put it this way - if I don't change now, I will eventually be fat. If I kept eating unhealthy foods, not exercising and sitting at my desk job everyday, I would be that overweight person trying to diet. Why let it get out of control? For me, it's getting back to where I was, where I want to be and being healthy. Not dieting or trying to be too skinny.

So when people want to know why I'm decling that donut, I nicely tell them - prevention! Haha. :wink:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well, you could try saying something like "I'm just trying to be healthier" rather than "I'm trying to watch what they eat". They shouldn't have anything negative to say about you being *healthier* versus getting *thinner*.

That said, you just have to tune it out. Most people aren't good with change (changing their impression of you) and a lot of people don't like it when you get all healthy and fit because then it reminds THEM that they're NOT healthy and fit. Shines a big fat, unavoidable mirror.

Just know you're making good decisions for yourself. You don't need to explain, justify or defend. Just do as you please :)
  • Leola2011
    Options
    You don't owe anyone an explanation for your choice not to indulge. A simple "no thank you" should suffice. You don't have to share your reasons from the beginning.
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think people are starting to see overweight as normal and normal as thin. Which is messed up for some many reasons but also for those of us who are normal and want to be a little trimmer because people get on our cases! I'm about half an inch taller than you and weigh about 6 pounds more (when I'm being good during the week). I do know what you mean. I'd like to have a flatter tummy and sometimes well-meaning people try to pressure me to eat bad foods. It's frustrating for me because my boyfriend says he doesn't want me to lose more weight and tries to feed me. And a lot of times over the weekend, I give in.

I don't have any great solutions, I just want to say I get what you mean and remember that our goals for health are our own. Just because we aren't classified as overweight doesn't mean we can't still be more fit! :)