Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to stay in CHECK on Vacation???

My family and I are going to visit family and we'll be staying in a hotel in Tampa FL and Orlando at the end of March.

This will be my first time on vacation and on a new healthy dieting lifestyle. Do any of you have any tips?

We will probably eat out alot. I hope we have a fridge in the room.

Any particular restaurants and/or things to order that will be healthy? or at least somewhat?

How do you stay on track, or at least somewhat on track without gaining alot of weight while on vacation?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    I don't bother trying.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    I agree with the above poster. As long as it's not a monthly thing I just relax and enjoy myself. We go away with family to the Outer Banks once a year and I don't plan to log while I'm there. I am not going to undue all my progress in one week and I'll get right back to it once I'm home and take any gain back off.
  • First, don't try to lose any weight on vacation, set yourself up to maintain that way you can still enjoy yourself. Bring some non-perishable safe snacks just in case there isn't room in the fridge and be mindful of what you eat when you eat out. Also, exercise in your hotel room or get a lot of walking in.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    It's vacation! I work out hard up until I go and enjoy myself while I'm there. I don't worry about calories at all. You will be hopefully site seeing, swimming, different activities, etc. that would keep you burning cals from the eating. Just relax and enjoy!
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    I slightly disagree with what everyone else has said. I think, especially since you are newer at this, you should not just go hog wild and forget about calories. I don't necessarily think you should strictly calorie count the entire time, but keep a conscious eye on it. Find out if the hotel has a gym - or even better, if it's warm, ask the front desk about a good place to take a walk or run in the morning. Sometimes it's hard to get off vacation mode once you've returned to normal life - if you're somewhat mindful of what you do on vacation, it will be easier for you to resume your routine when the vacation is over.

If this is truly a lifestyle change for you, make it part of your entire lifestyle, including vacation. That's just how I look at it.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    My family and I are going to visit family and we'll be staying in a hotel in Tampa FL and Orlando at the end of March.

This will be my first time on vacation and on a new healthy dieting lifestyle. Do any of you have any tips?

We will probably eat out alot. I hope we have a fridge in the room.

Any particular restaurants and/or things to order that will be healthy? or at least somewhat?

How do you stay on track, or at least somewhat on track without gaining alot of weight while on vacation?

I do not snack inbetween meals, I do not touch candy. I make sure I do swimming and when I go on holiday in a short time, I am going to do running there in the mornings, that should set me up for the day!

I always eat a good breakfast which will include eggs in one form or another, if the breakfast is filling, I do not feel hungry until dinner time and then I will have chicken or some meat or fish.

Other than that, I drink what I want alcohol-wise, I am on holiday and intend to enjoy it.
  • happyjacks
    happyjacks Posts: 31 Member
    I spent 10 days in Hawaii with my hubby last month. I was freaking out about going, concerned about eating and exercising. Here is what helped me

1. my standard breakfast is oatmeal, so I took that with me. This helped me avoid any of the free continental breakfasts that are full of sugary temptations

2. Worked out every morning if possible (I think I skipped 2 days)

3. packed reistance bands with me - ended up not needing them since the places we stayed had free weights to work with. But RB's are light weight and easy to pack.

4. I packed granola bars and nuts with me - gave me something to nibble on that I knew was okay

Now, I am not gonna lie - the first 5 days of our trip was company sponsored and they went ALL OUT for the dinners - nice buffets, desserts, free alcohol. I definitely enjoyed it. BUT, I was very diligent with the working out, drank a lot of water and for the last 5 days of our trip, we ate much healthier to offset the excess of the company sponsored part. I came home with a 3lb gain, but it quickly went away after I got back into my routine.

ETA: if you have a fridge, consider getting stuff to make sandwhiches for lunch time. Saves money and saves calories. You can then indulge a little more at dinner and not feel so bad. :)
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Thanks guys! This is very helpful!

I definitely will take all of your suggestions into consideration! I definitely don't want to go hog wild down there.
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    i ate like a heffalump yesterday and feel bad. i'm scared about going on vacation in a few weeks to florida. i have a hard time at restaurants sticking within goal.. and i know i'll be at a restaurant most of the time in florida! (SNIFF SNIFF) lol
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    i went on a 10 day All inclusive vac in dec and i am going on another week AI vac next week. I just try to make healthy choice but still enjoy and not feel guilty. I limit booze to at dinner and evening and drink ice water all day. I make sure i hit the gym to get some cardio in every other day for 30-45min. and i relax and enjoy! I used to gain 7 lbs on vacation, that time i only gained 3. It came off a few days after being home :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    it's a vacation...enjoy!! my boyfriend and I just got back from a week long cruise......I enjoyed every meal and dessert! And guess what..since we were so active I did not gain a pound.

ALSO...vacations and special occasions ARE part of the lifestyle change. It's the part where you really learn to exercise that will power. Meaning you relax and enjoy your vacation and family time but when your holiday is over you flex that will power and jump right back into the game.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    I'm with the majority, I don't bother. I mean, if healthy choices are available then great but I will not stress over it when out of town. We are going out of town for the weekend this weekend & I know I won't stay on task with being on the road. I will bring my health food but if I have other things I'm not going to stress.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    I don't stress too much about it. I just got back from a cruise, and I think I generally did pretty well. I didn't have ice cream six times a day or slather everything in gravy, but I definitely enjoyed myself. You generally know what's good/bad for yourself now :) Don't avoid everything, and definitely have a good time! Just don't have like... two gallons of mashed potatoes either. :D