Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I heard on the news yesterday about a new study linking aspartame with heart disease but even the authors admitted that the study was highly correlative.
  • mhaynam1970
    mhaynam1970 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went straight from drinking regular pop (soda depending where you are from) to water or adding the little sugar free packets to the water. I can not stand the after taste I get from diet pop. I felt a little tired the first couple of days but it really doesn't even appeal to me anymore.
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I just gave up diet soda for lent today. Good-bye!
  • change_happens
    Options
    I love lemon and water.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot more soda when my company provided it free in the break room fridge. When they stopped doing that, I cut it out almost entirely, and to be honest, I don't miss it. Every once in a while I get a taste for a Coca-Cola Classic, but it's definitely an occasional treat rather than something I have to have on a daily basis.

As far as diet sodas go, I like Diet Dr Pepper or Dr Pepper Ten, but again, I don't have more than 2-3 a week.

Now coffee - that's a story for a different thread. Don't even THINK of taking my Caffe Verona away... :noway:
  • nbaxter1104
    Options
    Instead of drinking DC, I drink club soda. And if I want some extra flavor I would add some lemon or lime (or both)!!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I used to down soda by practically the gallon and still will if it's in the fridge so I cut it out. I'm with the posters above who suggested fruit juice or Crystal Light Pure with seltzer. For a real sweet kick I'll have Diet V8 Splash.
  • NikoM5
    Options
    Needs to be banned. The stuff is nasty.

Can you elaborate?
    Artificial sweeteners still affect your blood sugar

Where did you hear this?

Also, juice is full of sugar. Your body doesn't care whether the sugar comes from soda or juice.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Some people shouldn't have aspartame. These groups include: People with sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, people who believe everything they read on the internet, and lab rats.

***THIS*** I drink between 6 - 8 cans of Diet Coke a day and have done so for most of my life. It does not appear to be impairing my ability to lose weight, and it certainly doesn't make me crave sweets - just the opposite, I have no difficulty leaving sweets alone.
  • klcatterton
    Options
    My doctor who, while a family practitioner, specializes in diabetes, told me that sugarfree foods such as diet soda really don't help in weight loss--the sweetness "tricks" the body into thinking it's actually getting sugar and produces an insulin response regardless.

Here's an article on the concept: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/704432

I've stopped drinking the artificially sweetened drinks (as well as the regular stuff) and have dropped 16 lbs since Christmas.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke. Up to several cans a day. Just this weekend I realized I haven't bought it for home in months. I'll have one when I go out to eat sometimes (usually I drink iced tea). Not drinking Diet Coke hasn't changed my weight, or energy levels, or number of headaches. Honestly, life is the same except I don't drink it. It wasn't even a conscious thing, giving it up. I'm not sure how it happened.

What do I drink now? Water, lots of it, straight from the tap. Iced tea. Stash Peppermint Tea. Sprecher's Ginger Ale when I want some carbonation. Black coffee. Sometimes I'll have a regular pop but not too often as they tend to be too sweet.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I go for green tea to give me the caffeine I seek. Aspartame causes cancer. Do real research. It is horrible for you.
    What do you mean by "real" research? As mentioned previously in this thread there are no published peer reviewed clinical trials that say apartmane casues cancer.
    Don't use it if you don't like it. Say you are worried that it may cause cancer. But don't pretend you have real reseaarch to support your opinion.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am a big Diet Coke consumer and giving up soda in my household would be very hard for us even though we've made progress swapping over to Crystal Light and Almond Milk. I have always been of the mindset that consuming diet soda is healthier than regular soda because diet soda contains so much less sugar.

On the news this morning I heard that in a test group of 2500 adults in New York, people who drink diet soda had a 44% higher rate of heart attacks and stroke. They don't know exactly why...if it's the soda or the eating habits associates with it.
    http://health.lifegoesstrong.com/article/does-drinking-diet-soda-lead-heart-attacks-and-strokes

I can only speak from my own experiences. I have spent many years purchasing packaged items that say Low Fat, Fat Free, Cholesterol Free and everyone in my house is OBESE!! In the last year I have started to make a concerted effort to break away from packaged foods. Some weeks I am more disciplined than others and I still have a lot of work to do to turn things around. Kicking the Diet Coke habit is one of them.

I didn't answer your question...but maybe my observations will help in your decision making????

Best of Luck
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I quit diet sodas all the time! And get back on them again and again :indifferent: I have noticed, in myself, that when I drink diet soda, I really do want something either salty or sweet to go along with it and will eat more because of that. When I ween myself off, I usually turn to diet lipton green tea. And yes, I know that the tea is just as bad as the soda, but it does help me drink less and still gives me my caffine fix. I wish I could get off of cokes completely but I feel that I am not quite myself without them.
  • kutastha
    kutastha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've used diet sodas for 30+ years (diet Coke with saccharin, yuck). My sister said she read (on the Internet, of course) that artificial sweeteners cause cognitive problems and poison the body. I reminded her I'm a physician with a PhD in molecular genetics and am in pretty good shape yet still drink diet sodas daily. I once did an experiment to see how different my life would be without them for a month and there was no difference in my weight, sleep, brain function nor general overall condition. Maybe my brain's just pickled from drinking them for so long? Doubtful.
  • NikoM5
    Options
    My doctor who, while a family practitioner, specializes in diabetes, told me that sugarfree foods such as diet soda really don't help in weight loss--the sweetness "tricks" the body into thinking it's actually getting sugar and produces an insulin response regardless.

Here's an article on the concept: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/704432

I've stopped drinking the artificially sweetened drinks (as well as the regular stuff) and have dropped 16 lbs since Christmas.

That medspace link requires a login. The current data suggests your doctor is wrong. All artificial sweeteners should not be lumped together though. See the last sentence from the clip below.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2923074

"Because large doses of phenylalanine stimulate prolactin secretion in man, we studied the acute effects of oral doses of aspartame (0.534 g, equivalent to the amount of aspartame in approximately 1 L beverage), aspartic acid (0.242 g), and phenylalanine (0.3 and 1.0 g) on serum prolactin and other hormones in normal humans. Prolactin was not stimulated by any of the aspartame meals, aspartic acid, or 0.3 g phenylalanine; a small rise in serum prolactin, similar to that produced by a high-protein mixed meal, followed ingestion of 1.0 g phenylalanine. Serum growth hormone showed no statistically significant changes in response to any of the experimental meals whereas cortisol and insulin fell slightly and glucose rose slightly during each of the meals. We conclude that these doses of aspartame do not alter secretion of prolactin, cortisol, growth hormone, or insulin in normal individuals."
  • klcatterton
    Options
    By the way, if you go to scholar.google.com and search using the terms "artificial sweetener and weight", you'll get a whole host of articles from medical journals.

Such as this one: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Be sure to double-check the year of publication, though--I saw an article listing carbohydrates as the source of keeping people feeling full. My, how research has changed in eight years...
  • klcatterton
    Options
    Weird, the article didn't require a login for me... I'm afraid that's not the same article, anyway. Here's a quote from the article posted:

June 15, 2009—People who use artificial sweeteners are heavier, more likely to have diabetes, and more likely to be insulin-resistant compared with nonusers, according to data presented at ENDO 2009, the 91st annual meeting of The Endocrine Society. (Abstract P2-478)

If anyone wants, I will be happy to copy the article to a blog post. In the meantime, here's a casual recap of it: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diabetes-diet-drinks-for-preventing-diabetes-no-way.html
  • NikoM5
    Options
    Weird, the article didn't require a login for me... I'm afraid that's not the same article, anyway. Here's a quote from the article posted:

June 15, 2009—People who use artificial sweeteners are heavier, more likely to have diabetes, and more likely to be insulin-resistant compared with nonusers, according to data presented at ENDO 2009, the 91st annual meeting of The Endocrine Society. (Abstract P2-478)

If anyone wants, I will be happy to copy the article to a blog post. In the meantime, here's a casual recap of it: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diabetes-diet-drinks-for-preventing-diabetes-no-way.html

Which sweetener did they study? Simply lumping all chemicals into one "artificial sweetener" heading would be irresponsible science.
  • TiffanyDeanee
    Options
    Needs to be banned. The stuff is nasty.

Can you elaborate?

That was just personal opinion. I strongly dislike the taste and it is just as bad as drinking regular soda. Their is nothing "diet" about diet soda.