Anyone else grown their own food....?

Options

Replies

• MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, green onions, lettuce, chard, potatoes, radishes, corn, carrots, cucumbers, watermelons, blueberries, huckleberries, strawberries, peaches, apples, plums, lots of herbs. AND MUCH MUCH MORE.

so last year, someone gave me some June Bearer (?) strawberry runners and i planted them. They grew, but produced no fruit, as expected for the first year. Any idea what to expect this year??? i have no experience in growing berries...
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Is 2 acres considered a garden?? I have enough carrots and green beams canned to be on Doomsday Preppers...hehe

heeheehee! yes, that's AWESOME. i did my first canning last year. Can't wait for this growing season to begin!! (how do you manage such a space? a tractor??)

Child labor....J/K! I have a small Bobcat with attachments
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Probably a dumb question, but can I grow vegetables in pots or is it better to do so in the soil? I'm thinking those larger orange pots you see at every store.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    Options
    Probably a dumb question, but can I grow vegetables in pots or is it better to do so in the soil? I'm thinking those larger orange pots you see at every store.

How much space do you have...google small garden areas
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Is 2 acres considered a garden?? I have enough carrots and green beams canned to be on Doomsday Preppers...hehe

heeheehee! yes, that's AWESOME. i did my first canning last year. Can't wait for this growing season to begin!! (how do you manage such a space? a tractor??)

Child labor....J/K! I have a small Bobcat with attachments

We have a large garden like this too......we use a Farmall Super A tractor.......
  • TalosValheru
    Options
    When you say grow your own food, do cows count? :)

We have 10 acres and raise some cattle for beef. I've found it so much tastier than beef purchased at a grocery store, and our butcher makes them so lean we have to add a litle crisco to the ground beef for it to stick together to make hamburger patties!

We do have a small area we sectioned off for a garden, and grew various spices, corn, sunflowers, carrots and peas last year. My son really enjoyed doing that. This year he wants to do more including potatoes & watermelon! :)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    Options

We have 10 acres and raise some cattle for beef. I've found it so much tastier than beef purchased at a grocery store, and our butcher makes them so lean we have to add a litle crisco to the ground beef for it to stick together to make hamburger patties!

We do have a small area we sectioned off for a garden, and grew various spices, corn, sunflowers, carrots and peas last year. My son really enjoyed doing that. This year he wants to do more including potatoes & watermelon! :)

I would love to be able to raise some cattle and hogs. guess I'll just have to settle for shooting deer....
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options

you can grow veggies in any kind of container that has holes in bottom and ample room. i once saw a person use 10 empty paint cans (they lined them with plastic and poked holes in bottom).........and they grew all sorts of things on their balcony ledge. They had no yard.

I've also seen people buy a bag of dirt, cut holes in it, and sprinkle seeds in it. they just left the bag of dirt lay on the ground!!! IT'S SOOO EASY, YOU MUST TRY! (cucumbers and lettuces are no fail)
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options

I wasn't thinking along the lines of meat, LOL, but yeah.....that totally counts! My mom joked last year that all i needed now was a pig in the corner of the yard.....;0)
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Raising cows definitely counts! My brother-in-law hobby farms and raises a couple cows every year. The meat is way better and way better for you. And I know some people are going to think I'm crazy but I'm all for giving animals good lives before we eat them. I figure it's the least we can do :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Plowing the garden last year...

Garden2011a.jpg

Garden2011b.jpg

Plus I have a freezer full of venison to go with the frozen tomato sauce and peppers.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options

you can grow veggies in any kind of container that has holes in bottom and ample room. i once saw a person use 10 empty paint cans (they lined them with plastic and poked holes in bottom).........and they grew all sorts of things on their balcony ledge. They had no yard.

I've also seen people buy a bag of dirt, cut holes in it, and sprinkle seeds in it. they just left the bag of dirt lay on the ground!!! IT'S SOOO EASY, YOU MUST TRY! (cucumbers and lettuces are no fail)

Why do you need holes in the container?
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options

Garden2011a.jpg

Garden2011b.jpg

Plus I have a freezer full of venison to go with the frozen tomato sauce and peppers.

NICE!!!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That's how my garden gets worked up too, Carl!

I forgot to even think about growing your own protein too. Yep, we run a cattle ranch. Fresh beef aplenty. And eggs. We do a pig every year. Hunting and fishing add to the freezer supply too.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Holes for drainage, roots don't like to sit in water.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    Options

Garden2011a.jpg

Garden2011b.jpg

I see Nebraskans aren't the only ones who let their outbuildings rot away.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options

for drainage.... helps prevent root rot i think....
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    Options
    going to try to post a pic...i've never done it before though. This is a pic of my garden from my kitchen window (May 2011)... and dudes above with the tractor, we dug 2 plots by hand!! Sure wish we had your big boy tools for that job!!

gardenviewfromkitchen.jpg
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I had large gardens when I lived in Alaska and Nebraska. My HOA here in North Carolina doesn't allow gardens so I decided to by a Tower Garden. Basically it is a vertical aeroponic growing system. It’s perfect for rooftops, patios, balconies, terraces, any relatively sunny place outside. For us it will be our patio. Check out their website below.

http://www.towergarden.com/

COOL! So, what are you going to grow in your tower garden?

It comes with tomato, cucumber, lettuce, and basil seeds but you can grow anything but root veggies. I plan to also do strawberries, spinach, squash, beans. I will love NOT having to weed, till, hoe, and water. You fill it up with water and nutrients and a timer pumps water over the roots of the plants every 15 minutes. They grow 2-3 times faster than in soil.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i've got quite a big garden, and last year grew potatoes, onions, broccoli spring onions and some herbs. I also have strawberry and raspberry plants a pear tree and some hazelnut bushes. I would like to get some chickens for fresh eggs, but we have urban foxes where i live and it might all end in tears