Hair is falling out! HELP!!!

Options
My hair has been falling out since I started losing weight, and it only seems to be getting worse. I'm not doing anything drastic. As you can see I have lost 40 lbs in about 6 months. I think that is a very reasonable pace. Please share your experience with me if this has happened or is happening to you. What are you doing about it? Should I be taking a vitamin supplement? I am already taking a complex B vitamin and a potassium supplement (as per my doc). My beautician told me it's normal to lose hair when losing weight. But is there something I can do to make it stop? I love my hair and hate to see it coming out in clumps in the shower!

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would see your PCP and have your thyroid checked.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I had my thyroid checked less than a year ago, and it was normal.
  • melbellkid
    Options
    have it checked again...mine was fine at a checkup earlier in the year and i started feeling horrible about 6 months ago...got diagnosed about 2 months ago...it can happen pretty quickly. If it comes back ok again maybe check into a vitamin deficiency????
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I had my thyroid checked less than a year ago, and it was normal.
    .......and you started losing the weight AFTER that was checked right??

Honestly, I'd see a doctor to get a checkup..not rely on bro-science advice from a fitness website....losing your hair is pretty serious!
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just because it was fine a year ago doesn't mean it is now. If your hair has started falling out since you had it last checked, I would personally have it checked again.
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i had blood work done right before I started dieting, and am planning on having it done at the 6 month mark, which is actually next week, so it will check thyroid amongst other things. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue. I mean, come on, everybody is thinking it's thyroid. Couldn't it just be some vitamin deficiency? Who else has this happened to?
  • danmoffett
    Options
    A few suggestions. I've lost 152 pounds in the past 24 months.
    One, you should get the book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. He addresses the hair loss problem in the book.
    You have to cut wheat out of your diet.
    Second, you should eat lots of good fat. Eat real full fat butter, eat lots of coconut oil.
    Third, cut out all sweeteners, ALL OF THEM.
    And lastly you should get a supplement called "Apple Polyphenols", you can order through Amazon.com. I buy the Swanson brand.
    Do the research on apple poly, you'll see why it stops and reverses hair loss.

I've put my weight loss journey down in a blog. See my profile for more info.

I wish you success.

Dan
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi, can I share my experience with you please? In my experience our minds can play serious games with us, Last year my 13 daughter was very stressed and convinced her hair was fallling out, Before I knew it, I was checking her pillow, and being concious of how often "She was pulling stray " - which was ALL THE TIME. So in effect I was bolstering her insercurities. So what I did was play it down - but marked it on my calendar and monitored the situation, Suffice to say - one year on she continues to obsess with stray hairs etc - but there is definately no marked hair loss. So my advice, respectively is - just give it time - you hopefully may be focussing on something whihc is normal. good luck x
  • OkayEnough
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me after losing somewhere around 60 lbs or so. I had very, very thick hair and suddenly it was coming out like crazy in the shower, towel, etc. I have Hoshimoto's disease, so I immediately assumed thyroid and went in for testing. It turned out I had an iron deficiency, which is particularly common among women that are losing weight, especially women that do a lot of cardio. I started taking iron supplements and it took a bit, but the problem is slowly going away. Have your doc check your iron levels, it's worth a shot!

Good luck! :)
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It is not normal to have a lot of hari loss when attempting to lose weight using diet and exercise. I would suspect hyperthyroidism; however, other medical causes could be the culprit. We all lose quite a bit of hair daily, but anything more than the "usual" should be checked by your MD>
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A few suggestions. I've lost 152 pounds in the past 24 months.
    One, you should get the book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. He addresses the hair loss problem in the book.
    You have to cut wheat out of your diet.
    Second, you should eat lots of good fat. Eat real full fat butter, eat lots of coconut oil.
    Third, cut out all sweeteners, ALL OF THEM.
    And lastly you should get a supplement called "Apple Polyphenols", you can order through Amazon.com. I buy the Swanson brand.
    Do the research on apple poly, you'll see why it stops and reverses hair loss.

I've put my weight loss journey down in a blog. See my profile for more info.

I wish you success.

Dan

Has it helped you lose any weight? I don't have the hair problem...but I just finished researching the product, and I was impressed at it's other benefits.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thyroid is the most common culprit for hair loss, doesn't hurt to have it checked again, That being said, since we cut calories to loose weight, it can be a vitamin and mineral deficiency. There are lots of minerals that are beneficial to the human body. Are you taking a vitamin and mineral supplement? Some minerals are more readily absorbed by the body too, some are not. I'd talk to your Dr. and perhaps a nutritionist, If you have a good natural food and Vitamin shop you could start there. They have wonderfully knowledgable people there too. These are people that devote their lives to holistic health. I hope you figure it out and that it isn't your thyroid.
  • crystlgrn
    crystlgrn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me it can be caused by lack of protein so I would check the protein levels in your diet as well.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    As fat cells produce estrogen, your weight loss has most likely resulted in reduced estrogen levels, resulting in hair loss (this happened to me). You might want to have your levels checked.
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump!!!

My hair has been doing the same thing!! And not just strands, like long pieces all together!! My hair has never done that before except when I was planning my wedding and really really stressed! But I do have severe anemia so I wonder if that's whats going on with me!!! But please keep us posted as to what the doctor says or what you find out!!!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid is normal, try taking an OTC prenatal vitamin. It IS probably a vitamin deficiency. Pregnancy can result in the same (or similar--which also causes hair loss) vitamin deficiency. The vitamin should help. A regular multi would probably also work, but I've always been referred to prenatals for hair issues. And make sure you're eating healthy, well-balanced meals.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Are u on a high protien diet?
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    The only time I lost hair was due to stress. (it was terrifying!) Maybe the loss is due to stress not weight loss? I have no idea just a thought. Mine came back!!
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    It is not normal for your hair to fall out when you diet. Most hair loss during diet is due to poor nutrition. Increase your iron and protein and see if that helps. If not, see a doctor.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/182193-how-to-prevent-hair-loss-while-dieting/
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I had a bad hair loss situation happening to me approx 3 years ago it started. It was coming out in my hands after a shower, in the towels, all over the floor, in my hairbush. I contributed it to my age and what not and just let it go. About 2 years ago I separated from my spouse (whom was a major source of stress for me) Since that time, I have started to eat properly which would include adding whey protein to my diet and started eating kidney beans in an attempt to improve my iron. In straightening out my diet slowly, I have had no unusual hair loss in the last year or so and I contribute it to less stress and eating properly. Take from that what you may and I hope it helps :))