Diet Soda

Options
13»

Replies

• Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I used to love the stuff, didn't have it everyday or anything though. I gave it up because I feel slimmer and just overall better when I stick with a high water intake. I love fizz though so I've switched to flavored Italian sparkling water from Whole Foods, it's delicious and satisfies my fizz addiction =] I like regular water too as well as celestial seasonings teas.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    That was just personal opinion. I strongly dislike the taste and it is just as bad as drinking regular soda. Their is nothing "diet" about diet soda.

Yeah the taste isn't for everyone, that's for sure. But you're saying it's just your opinion that drinking diet soda is as bas as regular soda?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda and lost 10 lbs over a period of several months. Some people said it was the sodium, some people said the artificial sweetner (cancer causing carcinogenic) was causing me to eat more. I do not know what it was, all I know is I look and feel so much better.

It is no secret soda is bad and there is a reason people do not want their children drinking it.

Another thing, cutting soda out of the family grocery budget is nice. :)

L
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    heres another article, not sure if it requires log ins for anyone

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0887233310002249

it was published in 2011 and basically says theres no proof it does cause cancer and no proof it doesnt....jury is still out

But:
    "In conclusion, APM at low doses is a potential angiogenic agent that can induce regenerative cytokine production. In particular, it enhances IL-6 and VEGF and their soluble receptor release from endothelial cells and leads to the activation of MAPKs (erk and p38) resulting in the formation of new blood vessels, thus creating favorable conditions that in vivo may result in the development of pathological conditions like diabetic retinopathies, rheumatoid arthritis and tumor cell invasion and spreading of metastases. "

basically they are saying it doesn't directly cause cancer, but that it can cause other things to happen that make cancer and other ailments easier to spread. It also says in the same article though that "factors affecting energy balance, such as the caloric intake, nutritional status and exercise, can influence cancer development and progression", so basically eating too few calories and not exercising can give you cancer as well :drinker:
  • NikoM5
    Options

Read the article. All the data is highly correlative, zero causation.
  • Diet soda makes me bloat just as bad as regular soda and it gives me a headache. I had to find other ways to get caffeine. But it's confusing because some people say it doesn't bother them at all and others agree with me. I think it depends on your stomach, mine is pretty freaking sensitive. i do believe that the less the processed the better and soda is probably processed.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You'll have to pry the empty Diet Mtn Dew bottle out of my cold, dead hands!
  • klcatterton
    Options
    I did read the article--it says that in the introduction. There are many correlative studies out there, and while one must have a healthy skepticism of such, sometimes I feel there is truth.

However, for example, just because ice cream sales and homicides increase during the summer does not mean that one causes the other.

In the end, with so much correlative (and sometimes contradicting) evidence out there, it really comes down to what you choose to believe.
  • MellyMartinson
    MellyMartinson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't by into all the hype that gets thrown around about diet soda and yes I have seen and read alot of the studies and articles. To each their own do what you think works best for you.. I myself have not and will not be giving up my diet pepsi.... I drink 2 or 3 24oz. bottles a day (I still get in my 8 glasses of water). I once weighed 560 lbs, and could barely walk from room to room and when I began this journey I said if there was one thing I would not give up it was my diet pepsi. I gave up junk food and replaced with a healthy lifestyle.... 32 months later I have lost 302 lbs. and have never seen the correlation that diet pepsi makes me crave sweets yada yada yada.... and it certainly has not hindered my weightloss....

Pretty sure you are my hero! Great job! And I treat myself with a diet coke now and again.
  • benmiller512
    benmiller512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had been drinking 3-6 cans of Diet Coke a day. When I elected to quit at the start of the year it sucked. It was hard and I wanted the soda. I drink coffee and had to add an afternoon cup to compensate for the caffeine. I started to drink more water. At work the office has bottled water that is cold (have warm water so this was a big plus). At home a simple Britta or Pur pitcher and some lemons helped to make the water change easier as well. After about 2 weeks I elected (choose, did not NEED) to have a Diet Coke. It tasted terrible to me now. I drank about 1/4 of the can and poured it out. Now all I drink is water and an occasional unsweetened tea. It seems to get more and more easy each day to stick with just water. I can even stomache luke warm water now with no lemon. But it was a mind battle up to now. Good luck!!!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I never really got into the whole diet soda thing, give me leaded please!! Lol! But I ended up getting a UTI (sorry if TMI) back in August and ended up having to give everything but cranberry juice (which I detest) and water. It was hard at first, but I did what I had to do to take care of myself and it got tons easier. After about a month I drank my first Dr. Pepper and it seemed too sweet but oh did I enjoy it!! A few months went by, holidays and all, and I was doing pretty good with only allowing myself 1 or 2 a week and in January I finally gave them all up except for when I go to our Sams Club and I get a Coke Icee!! They are so yummy and I live in Texas so they are served year round. Now for lent I am giving them up all together and I think it may stay that way. If I had never had to do it for health reasons I probably wouldn't have done it at all. I feel better now without it and taking the sodas out of my diet made me up my water intake and I dropped 10lbs. Straight soda now makes my tummy hurt and if I have it later in the day it affects my sleep, where I use to never have a problem with caffeine affecting me at all.
  • chimera711
    chimera711 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this is data presented at an endocrine meeting. It's not been published or peer-reviewed, so until it sees some statistical analysis, it's really meaningless.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, this is data presented at an endocrine meeting. It's not been published or peer-reviewed, so until it sees some statistical analysis, it's really meaningless.

what data specifically are you talking about?
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I used to easily drink about a 6-pack of Diet Coke daily. Since I've upped my water intake, I now only drink about 3-5 a week. I have noticed absolutely no difference in how I feel, in my weight loss, or anything else. Nada, zip changes, imho. A couple weeks ago I started to drink several each day again and my pee was still virtually clear even though I wasn't drinking much water during that time. This makes me question whether you really need water to be hydrated or just fluids. But now I'm back to just having a Diet Coke when my sweet tooth acts up a few times a week. It appeases it without making me need to eat anything else sweet, salty, or whatever. The only reason why I decided to cut down again was the effect on my grocery budget. I'd rather put that money toward the new clothes I need to buy as I continue to shrink.
  • Laurieann137
    Laurieann137 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You'll have to pry the empty Diet Mtn Dew bottle out of my cold, dead hands!

This is SO me!

But thank you everyone...really. I think I will try and cut back first and see how that goes. My biggest holdback is that the water at my work is gross!! If that wasn't the case I would probably drink a lot more water! I do bring bottles of water with me, but when it's gone I'm left with vending machines! lol! I can' go back to regular pop now as it hurts my stomach...so maybe that's good thing. Sometimes I swear everything is bad for you to some extent!
  • NikoM5
    Options
    I did read the article

Sorry when I said "read the article" I meant "I read the article", or phonetically, "red the article..."
  • duerrjennifer
    duerrjennifer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tended to drink TONS of diet mountain dew, mostly because I enjoyed it, it had flavor, and I thought it "kept me going." it eventually became a habit. I noticed I was tired all the time, so I kept downing more dew. I recently weaned myself off of it by starting with caffeine free dt dew (to fool myself and feed the habit) and only supplemented a caffeinated something when the headaches really flared up.

In one week, I've gotten to the point that I don't need the caffeine anymore. In addition, since I'm not getting the caffeine anymore, I don't feel like I need the soda as much. I drink tons of water now (more than before) and when I'm craving flavor, I use crystal light. I feel like I have SO much more energy now without the caffeine (and I hadn't changed anything else) . And, I'm saving a ton of money on soda. I don't force myself to go soda free. If I'm craving one, I go caffeine free so that I don't get hooked back on again. Its probably as addictive as cocaine (at least for me).

Now I'm ready to start increasing my energy and mood more by adding the exercise in. I'm so glad I stopped the caffeine soda addiction.