Eating before working out

Options
I work out in the evening as this is the only time I can fit it in. I eat dinner between 5-5:30pm and then start my workout between 6-6:30pm. I don't feel sick or anything during or after my workout but I'm not sure if this is what I should be doing. I tried working out before I ate, but felt very weak and shaky,

Replies

• Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, go for it.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right for you. I always try and eat something at most an hour before my workout, even if it's just a piece of fruit. Like you, I've tried not to in the past and it makes me feel queasy. Some people don't bother as they don't feel the need to, but you have to listen to your body. If you need to eat before you exercise, then go for it :)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I usually try eating something an hour before my workout.. a late afternoon snack.. with a higher carb to protein ratio. Then I have dinner afterward, with more protein.

I'd be interested to see what other posters do.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat before your workout . Some people find it interferes with their workout. Do what's best for you and avoid complicating things. I personally cannot workout hungry, but I did made the mistake of having spicy foods before a high intensity workout....the heartburn was not pleasant.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't feel sick or anything during or after my workout but I'm not sure if this is what I should be doing. I tried working out before I ate, but felt very weak and shaky,

You have your answer right there. :)
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i just eat every 2hrs.. something light like a protein bar before wk outs wks for me..:)
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same. I eat first, then wait an hour and a half before I start working out.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right for you. I always try and eat something at most an hour before my workout, even if it's just a piece of fruit. Like you, I've tried not to in the past and it makes me feel queasy. Some people don't bother as they don't feel the need to, but you have to listen to your body. If you need to eat before you exercise, then go for it :)

^^^ ditto! And good job actually doing evening workouts... I believe it's harder to motivate yourself after a long day, so keep up the good work!! :happy:
  • SandyChampWins
    SandyChampWins Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You should eat first...you can't run your car without gas can you?...the body is the same way! I workout after every meal. I weigh 200 lbs but even my heart Dr said I don't look it.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what works best for you :) Sounds like dinner then working out is working well. For me, I usually work out at noon at the gym then have my lunch after. I don't eat anything before, although I have a small (150 to 250 calorie) breakfast around 9:30.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Only time I don't eat before working out is when I get up before work, which is rare.
    I notice that I push harder and have more energy to get through the workout when I eat before.
    So long as you aren't feeling sick, there shouldn't be any problems. Think of it as fueling your car.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When running I eat about an hour beforehand in the morning but have stopped having banana with my porridge as I find it gives me really bad heartburn. But if I dont eat at all I am too tired.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You should eat first...you can't run your car without gas can you?...the body is the same way!

Do you fill your gas tank every time you drive your car?
  • sherryc1970
    sherryc1970 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your post, I didn't really think eating before my workout was a problem until a couple of coworkers said I shouldn't be doing it. So I just was wondering what other people who are dieting and/or exercising thought. I am new to this whole diet/exercise thing so wasn't real sure if what i was doing was right or not.. Good luck to all of you and I hope you all reach your diet and fitness goals, cause it's hard as hell! LOL!!
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    i usually wait 2 hrs b4 work out. if you dont experience any stomach pain or acid reflux, you should be ok
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You should eat first...you can't run your car without gas can you?...the body is the same way! I workout after every meal. I weigh 200 lbs but even my heart Dr said I don't look it.

Unless you plan an extended hard core cardio workout, this isnt true, Especially if you are trying to lose weight
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    a couple of coworkers said I shouldn't be doing it.

some people honestly think that if you work out on a full stomach, or with food in you, your body will burn that food instead of your fat reserves of whatever.

totally false.

personally, when i work out in the morning i have some oatmeal and peanut butter and a banana, along with coffee. usually about an hour or so before i hit the gym.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You should eat first...you can't run your car without gas can you?...the body is the same way!

Do you fill your gas tank every time you drive your car?

I agree with this. The whole gas tank analogy is inapt. I like to work out on a completely empty stomach. For example, I just ran for an hour and I haven't eaten for 16-17 hours. It doesn't interfer with my energy whatsoever, and supposedly you burn more fat that way. However, everyone is different, so there is no "right" way.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have to eat before I work out. Otherwise I just don't have enough fuel to get through it. I eat every 2-3 hours anyway, so I make sure to either eat dinner around an hour before I head to the gym, or if I'm going right after work I eat an apple or something like that on the way there. When I work out in the mornings, I eat a small breakfast (like a gluten free bagel or some almonds and an apple) before I go. Then I make sure I get some good protein in after workout, whether it be a shake or a meal (just depending on the time of day).