Desk Jobs

Options
I work at least 9 hours a day parked at a desk in front of a computer. Does anyone have any tips to get extra movement in during the day? UGH. I know this is part of the reason I am so tired at night. I don't move all day.
Thanks!

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    No tips. I'm in the same situation.

You're supposed to move regularly even if it's just to stand up and walk around for a minute or two, but I don't have the time for that so I end up trying to walk/exercise before or after work. These past few days exercise has fallen by the wayside due to 10 and 14-hour working days and an ill fiance, but I squish in the exercise whenever I can. You're not alone!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I walk up and down a few sets of stairs every hour or so, and try to go for a walk on my lunch break.
  • Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How long is your lunch break? I wonder if you're allowed to eat your lunch at your desk or if that's not OK. 'Cause if you could have a lunch (or dinner or whatever meal you're there for) while you worked then maybe you could use the time given for lunch in order to do some light exercise? (walk around the building or block a few times)

I don't know much about desk jobs, sorry. :/
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I go for walks at lunch and try to get up and move around during the day. I'll go talk to people instead of emailing them. Also, I am contemplating getting one of these:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Wheelin-Work-Desk-Cycle-2440232
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    Get one of those large exercise balls and sit on that instead of a chair.. it's fun and engages the core ALL day!
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Walk to the furthest away bathroom when you go. Get your coffee from the furthest kitchen from your desk. Stand up at your desk and do work (if possible) - at least you won't be sitting!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a biller, so every 100 bills, I get up, and take the stairs down from the 4th floor to the 1st floor and use the restroom. I used to take the stairs faster, but my foot has been acting up, and the pain keeps me from getting a good speed when I go back up the four flights. When the weather's nice, I go for a walk around the building in the parking lot closest to the street twice, which is about a 15 minute power walk. I can't wait for that weather to get here, and stay here! I love going for that walk!

If I have a bit of time, and we have a few people off (meaning, I won't get caught, I'll lay on the ground and do some crunches or some pushups hidden by my cube walls.

Office desk jobs just really kinda suck. :(
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Drink more water so you have to constantly get up and go to the bathroom :)
  • Fitdiva83
    Fitdiva83 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is very tricky. I'm wearing ankle weights and doing leg lifts underneath desk. During bathroom break I do 10 wall pushups each time....and I fidget ...yes it burns calories.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i agree with ^^^^. I have a ball to sit on at my desk, and it helps with my back pain. and then once in awhile just hoof it up and down the stairs...if there are no stairs, try and make a round or two of the office.
  • TXGaToRgiRl88
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! 8-5pm M-F sitting at a desk. Ugh. My suggestion is after work do some form rolling along the inside and outside of your thighs. It relaxes and releases the muscles that stay contracted all day sitting at our desks. You will notice a larger range of motion in your workouts if you being with it.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Get a balance ball chair for your desk. (I love mine.)
    Take walks or runs on your breaks and lunch break.
    Make a point of standing up once an hour.
    Walk to the water cooler, often.
    Close the door and do some stretching.

You can do it. Just get up!
  • metatuem
    Options
    I work at a desk all day as well. I have to make myself get up and walk around our building outside. One time around our building is very close to .75 miles. I try to get at least 3 of those in a day. Another thing i do is i use the restroom at the furthest end of the building. I wear a pedometer. Though this doesnt really allow for me to reach 10K steps, i usually get around 7K.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I also am at a desk all day. I have started walking during lunch breaks (after I eat) and every hour or so, I get up and stretttcchhh! When you go to the restroom, choose one far away from you if you can. Do small shoulder and head rolls periodically as well. If you have an office where no one can see you try doing a fast five minute walk on youtube. Search Leslie Sansone and she has a fast five minute walk on there that you can do quickly and quietly. This can even work if you have high cubicle walls like I do.

No matter what, get up and move around throughout the day. Your body will thank you for it. :flowerforyou:
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    how about either:
    a) walking to work and back
    b) if u use public transport: get off two or 3 stations earlier and walk the distance
    c) park 2 or 3 miles away from your work place and walk the distance

?
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    There's a group called Cubicle Jockeys...the moderator sends out daily (every half hour) workouts of cubicle friendly exercises and even shouts out reminders...WARNING if you don't like squats, RUN AWAY!!!! Personally I love them!
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    There's a group called Cubicle Jockeys...the moderator sends out daily (every half hour) workouts of cubicle friendly exercises and even shouts out reminders...WARNING if you don't like squats, RUN AWAY!!!! Personally I love them!

10 Squats for the squat warning!!!

and here is the group link for EVERYONE!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3036-cubicle-jockeys
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I use a FitDesk (bicycle desk) most days. Available on Amazon for $230. I roll it into a storage room if we're having client meetings, but most of the time I use it all day long and burn hundreds of calories pedalling 30-50 miles while working on the computer over the course of the day. More employers may be supportive of ideas like this if they consider the health advantages to their workforce.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options

10 Squats for the squat warning!!!

and here is the group link for EVERYONE!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3036-cubicle-jockeys

Okay I'm on it!!!!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments... but I have converted my desk station to a stand up work station (from what I have read standing can burn an extra 10-50 calories an hour). So I'm not sitting down all day. I try to remember to go for a walk during my 15 minute breaks.