Lower ab

Options
So I know we're all in the same boat... wanting that flat stomach! but lately i've been trying to eliminate lower ab fat. I know that it's biologically harder for girls to lose the fat right above the underwear line, but are there any specific exercises or foods that I should be eating/avoiding? The top half of my abs are getting pretty strong, but it seems like the bottom half has been left in the dust. I've been doing lots of leg raises and planks for the past couple months, still not much improvement. Thanks for the help! :)

Replies

• Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump - I am interested in this
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Heavy Weight lifting, a calorie deficit and patience.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    There is no specific exercise that is going to reduce fat on your lower abs.
  • llllj
    llllj Posts: 5
    Options
    Granted leg raises, balance work, etc. will help strengthen this area.. however to see results you have to have low body fat, so it's more about the weight loss than the situps when it comes to the stomach. Something that can temporarily minimize the size of the 'pooch' is to avoid gassy foods (broccoli, carbonation, artificial sweeters...) and eat low sodium. Low sodium will help avoid retaining extra water weight, and gassy helps with bloating. Mint helps relieve bloating as well... but think tea not gum, as gum causes excess bloating. This diet is something I follow more consciously the week leading up to an event such as a wedding or beach day.
  • RichardKeyworth
    Options
    There's no such thing as spot reduction (losing bodyfat of a particular area).

A calorie deficit will do the trick, just stick at it.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I am at my ideal weight and still have this problem. I find working that area a lot along with cardio helps a lot.
    I like videos like 6 week 6 pack, Insane abs and zumba abs. I notice if I do these often, that area will be flatter.
    Also I think all the sugar I eat goes straight there.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    There's no such thing as spot reduction (losing bodyfat of a particular area).

A calorie deficit will do the trick, just stick at it.

But what if you have no more body fat to lose?
  • RichardKeyworth
    Options
    Everyone has bodyfat they could potentially lose, however this can become dangerous after a certain point. Realistically hardly anyone will ever get anywhere near that bodyfat % though.

My point was just that no specific exercises will reduce bodyfat.

If we're talking about visible abs the only answer is low bodyfat and some abdominal development. Low bodyfat being by far the most important thing.