Advice on Protein and Carbohydrates

Options
How important is it to stick to the estimated carbs/fat/protein on here for weight loss? It's been drilled into my head from previous diets to eat more protein and less carbs, and I seem to go over the protein amount every day and rarely eat all of the carbs. I do aim to stay under my daily calories and continue to lose weight. I was just wondering if some of you who have been doing this program longer has any advice.

Replies

• 2012dancingqueen
    2012dancingqueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i wonder about this too.
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it depends on your body (soma) type...If you are an ectomorph (naturally thin, grew up thin but have put on weight) you can lose by eating more carbs than protein and less fat...If you are a endomorph (gains weight easily, probably grew up overweight) you would fair better on a higher protein, less carbs more fat diet....If you are a mesomorph (more muscular) you can get away with a balanced diet....hope that helps....you can also use this site http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to get help figuring out your macros
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think the protein is the most important to make sure you get in sufficient amounts, add some good fats and whatever is left over for carbs. Its the protein that will build those muscles and keep you full. How many carbs in grams are you actually eating?
  • katkrak
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! My grams of carbs that I eat varies from day to day, but I think that the set amount of carbs on here is too high (for me.) I think I will keep eating the way I am eating with higher protein than carbs and healthy fats. It seems to be working for me so far. I just wasn't sure if I was putting my health at risk or slowing down my weight loss by not eating the suggested amount of carbs.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Personally I think MFP has the protein set too low. Don't worry about going over on the protein.
  • harriet_tubman
    Options
    For me, I only allow myself to eat around 150g of carbs a day (and those carbs can only be from whole grains/whole wheat and must contain a decent amount of fiber). as for protein, i try to eat about 300g a day (which is over triple my MFP recommendation). I'm actually sort-of following the P90X2 nutrition guide (but they want me to eat even MORE protein).
  • vrboone8
    Options
    I have wondered this too-my protein always goes over, I don't worry about it however because I have lost. I just make sure it is lean protein. I also started adding coconut oil to my "good" fat daily intake.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    This site notoriously under calculates the protein requirement. If you're going over their recommended then you're going about it correctly. Anywhere from .75 to 1 gram of carbs per body weight is what I aim for. Carbs I try to keep below what they suggest. I'm no personal trainer but I just figure if you keep the protein count up and the calories, sugar, fat and sodium down then you'll get where you need to go.