Too much protein???

Options
I don't know how I am doing it, but I keep going over my protein limit! Granted its only by a few points here and there, but I was wondering if it will have any negative repercussions...

Replies

• mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    No, the default protein setting is too low, IMO.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Nope, also MFP's protein settings are very low to begin with. I would actually recommend upping your protein
  • chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness! It is hard enough trying to keep carbs low, fat low, and calories low without having to worry about the protein too! :grumble:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness! It is hard enough trying to keep carbs low, fat low, and calories low without having to worry about the protein too! :grumble:

You don't have to worry about carbs and fat either.
  • nikkisa10
    nikkisa10 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MFP's goals are way too low (I created my own macro goals)....you can try this site http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm....also, a good rule of thumb is when you eat lower carbs, it's best to increase your fat to help with satiety....if you eat higher carbs, it's best to lower the fat....protein should remain constant :)
  • AislingRA
    Options

Hmmm, how do you work that out then?
  • MissBettyBoop2
    MissBettyBoop2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Agree with every, that MFP's protein guidelines are to low.

I took a 12 week nutrition class and was told 70-80 grams of protein is sufficient when dieting. That of course is not for bodybuilding....

Good luck!
  • bored4long
    bored4long Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A high protein diet is new for me (been doing it for a few weeks now). But one tremendous benefit of a higher protein diet is a more "full" feeling. Protein makes you feel very full and will help you consume less calories.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    MFP's goals are way too low (I created my own macro goals)....you can try this site http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm....also, a good rule of thumb is when you eat lower carbs, it's best to increase your fat to help with satiety....if you eat higher carbs, it's best to lower the fat....protein should remain constant :)

I checked my BMR against feedietings and they were exactly the same. :happy:
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A high protein diet is new for me (been doing it for a few weeks now). But one tremendous benefit of a higher protein diet is a more "full" feeling. Protein makes you feel very full and will help you consume less calories.

Agree! Higher the protein, more condusive to fat burning. I also keep an eye on my fat and carbs, and sodium.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Hmmm, how do you work that out then?

I think he's implying that staying in a caloric deficit is more important than macronutrient composition when it comes to weight loss. Of course, if someone has a medical condition where certain macronutrients affect their overall health, that's another issue.