Indian food?

Options
I am going out to dinner tonight to an Indian restaurant. What can I eat that won't be too terrible calorie-wise? Any suggestions would be great!
Thanks. :)

Replies

• smelly_sparkle
    Options
    Indian food is REALLY GOOD. They do a lot of vegetarian options which I love! I would start there....yum. Enjoy!
    !
  • spiffysara27
    spiffysara27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Anything that says Tandoori is cooked in a way that involves less fat than the other things on the menu. It also doesn't have the rich creamy sauce.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    omg... don't get me started... indian food is AWESOME!!! maybe choose something that is more of the veggie side? idk... i haven't touch indian food for a long time now... because their roti prata is my... weakness.
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Lentil and spinach dishes will have less calories, tandoori chicken is basically just baked chicken so it's not too bad. Stay away from the tikka masala, korma, and butter sauces, and any other cream sauce. And it will be difficult but control yourself around the naan! lol Enjoy! I love Indian :)
  • KlassyKassi
    KlassyKassi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Mmmm naan! It is what I'm most worried about! :)
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Aloo gobhi is generally dry. I'm not sure what kind of restaurant you're going to (North Indian, South Indian, Himalayan, etc) so I can't tell you what to get, but ask them which of their vegetarian dishes aren't in a thick curry.

As far as breads go, chapathi, paratha, and roti are going to have the least amount of calories. I'd stay away from the appetizers, since most of them are deep fried.

Oh yeah, and dosa. Mmmmm I loooove dosa.
  • KlassyKassi
    KlassyKassi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. Very helpful! :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm going out to an Indian restaurant tomorrow night so this thread has been helpful

I would love to choose a korma as I like mild but I'll avoid. Tandoori sounds a good choice, maybe with some pickle or something

I don't eat Indian often so I'm a little stuck!
  • piyubole
    piyubole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian and I love Indian food but Indian restaurants are a dieter's nightmare.

Indian food at restaurants is really unhealthy - especially vegetarian options because they are cooked in butter and cream sauce! Even dal - which is otherwise healthy at home - is cooked in a lot of butter (hence the name dal makhani meaning butter dal)

anything that says "makhan" or "makhani" = clarified butter is a MAIN ingredient
    anything that says "malai" = cream is a MAIN ingredient

I agree with the tandoori chicken - any marinated meats are good.

Also - ask for chapath instead of rice or naan. chapathi is made from whole wheat flour as opposed to naan (all purpose) and rice. Sometimes restaurants use the word Roti for chapathi - just clarify with them if it has white flour or wheat flour.

I would say, though, that if you happen to go to a restaurant with south indian food - Idli sambar is one of the healthiest indian foods, its low in fat and higher in protein because its mostly made from lentils and its steamed too!
  • ronnio_ron
    Options
    true, but its such a pain to not binge on spicy indian's.
    i wud agree to give it a good go, now and then.

But for all - you can always request the guys there make your food a little healthy, which is to avoid buttering ur naan's or rotis. best to stay of naan's and paratha's and they got lots of unwanted add-ons...

but la...common now, who can miss a good indian...